The Queen of the South thread

I think all this stuff about photographs of people holding scarves and the need for full-time staff to manage social media is utterly bonkers. 
Who the Hell cares about such stuff? 
SD has clearly got this.  We don't waste time and energy on such meaningless, gimmicky trivia because we are by necessity a small-time operation, and to do so would have next to no tangible benefit.
I'm well aware that I'm the same idiot who spends much of his life obsessing about the sign on Lochfield Road.  My problem with that though isn't that we must have such a sign and that the failure to maintain it properly is costing us massively.  It's just that it bugs me.
I'm a big fan of criticising the club, but I really don't see that these latest grumbles have much basis.

Agree totally, the poster SD who appears to really have his nose to the ground all things QOS is correct the club is part time off the field but even so there PR must improve as it’s shambolic at times. To have a Norman Blount type whipping up local interest with his sheer enthusiasm for the club is what’s needed !!

Guest Flash
13 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

What difference does a picture make to PR, can anyone explain?

It demonstrates their commitment to the club. Like we had a picture of John Baird after he signed his 2 year contract and 6 months later he was in a Falkirk shirt. That “I’m now a loyal club servant” kind of thing that the fans lap up.

Too many folk continuing to burying their heads in the sand here. We desperately need to improve the PR side of the club.

It’s obvious that those already employed by the club or it’s volunteers haven’t either the time or skills required.

Mr Chairman must employ someone evens if it’s part time to sort it out

I’m sure the millionaire businessman could afford it

I am not saying the club don’t need to improve PR, what I am asking is does a picture really make a difference? If it does what is it?

we have signed two players thus far, that I know what they look like and both have played for a number of clubs so them holding a Queens scarf doesn’t exactly make me thing “oh I will go to more games now”s

I am not saying the club don’t need to improve PR, what I am asking is does a picture really make a difference? If it does what is it?

we have signed two players thus far, that I know what they look like and both have played for a number of clubs so them holding a Queens scarf doesn’t exactly make me thing “oh I will go to more games now”s

It’s no really the picture thing we were getting at, yes it was the first point made but it’s more in terms of social media and PR on whole. The website went two weeks without anything of note happening when Dan Armstrong is out doing school visits, guid nychburris float and fun days etc, stuff like that could be going on to publicise them.

I think a few posts on here demonstrate why the club is in the position it is with supporters numbers falling and a general apathy surrounding the place.  Is it any wonder that fans of other clubs label us a bumpkin outfit if our own fans themselves view the club as basically a small time outfit with little appetite for improvement however minor,  with seemingly no ambition and happy to lurch along season after season.  No-one is asking the Board to splash out thousands in cash to compete with Falkirk,  Dundee Utd,  and the like on the PR/Media operations but the fact that some fans think there is a problem in this area surely indicates that there is a level of concern that needs addressed. We're getting bogged down in talk about the lack of pictures of new signings waving scarves but that is just one small example of the need to put the club more in the public eye and push ourselves forward as an "established Championship team" not just a makeweight.  

We've probably been spoiled a bit media-wise  over the past few seasons with the likes of Hearts,  Hibs and rangers in the Championship,   which heightened everyone's profile without too much effort.  With the greatest respect to Partick Th., Ross County and Dundee Utd,  general media coverage is nowhere near as much so clubs have to promote themselves a bit more.  Despite what some think this should not  mean throwing bucketloads of cash at it but are least trying to implement slight improvements within the current structure.

If you continue to think "small time"  you will be happy to accept "small time."  (I'll give you  that slogan free of charge) 

21 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well yes, that's inevitable for the position we have and the crowds we get. You can't run an off field full time operation off 1,200 a game gates. And the idea that stuff like this would "pay for itself" is pie in the sky stuff. We absolutely are a part time club off the pitch. We're running with a groundsman, an assistant, a couple of office staff (one full time / one part time) and a community officer. 

Went over to purchase from club shop this morning 'closed' is it too much to ask even just to put a  wee note/sign up saying when it will reopen if someone has had to nip away.

Ps I wasn't alone a few other people were also hovering about wondering when it would be open. 

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think all this stuff about photographs of people holding scarves and the need for full-time staff to manage social media is utterly bonkers. 

Who the Hell cares about such stuff? 

SD has clearly got this.  We don't waste time and energy on such meaningless, gimmicky trivia because we are by necessity a small-time operation, and to do so would have next to no tangible benefit.

I'm well aware that I'm the same idiot who spends much of his life obsessing about the sign on Lochfield Road.  My problem with that though isn't that we must have such a sign and that the failure to maintain it properly is costing us massively.  It's just that it bugs me.

I'm a big fan of criticising the club, but I really don't see that these latest grumbles have much basis.

Nah, social media is a huge part of football now. Bury your head if you want about its benefit, but you'll realise once it's successful how much your clubs been depriving itself of. Taking a camera, shirt, and scarf, to a signing and taking a photo at that time seems such a simple easy thing to do, and let's people share photos and tweets of the club, and sponsors, around social media, it seems daft to not bother with it. 

Saints get extra sponsorship through twitter/YouTube/Facebook videos, because sponsors know they'll be getting decent advertisement. 

A few clubs have got local students in associated courses to help out with social media and general media work. They get great experience and the club don't have to add to the salary bill.

Dumfries does have a college doesn't it?

I personally think Queens would get far more supporters volunteering their services to help the club out if they felt like their hard work was being appreciated by the Chairman.

There for me lies the problem.

Sit back and take take take without much or anything in return

19 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Went over to purchase from club shop this morning 'closed' is it too much to ask even just to put a  wee note/sign up saying when it will reopen if someone has had to nip away.

Ps I wasn't alone a few other people were also hovering about wondering when it would be open. 

Leaving a note would cut into the time the staff have available plus would incur cost of paper and ink.  

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 minutes ago, Fae_the_ said:
Good point,  well-made.  

Thank you, my fellow 6-fingered friend.

It's really a mixture of poor English,  arthritis and senility (on my part anyway) 

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

A few clubs have got local students in associated courses to help out with social media and general media work. They get great experience and the club don't have to add to the salary bill.

Yes it does but the only relevant course are photography and we have plenty of really good photographers already.

We've had several journalism students help out with match reporting over the years, who've been studying at the UWS campus in Dumfries. Need a new one for next season too. ETA - not sure that UWS do journalism courses in Dumfries anymore though

There was talk of getting some UWS students from the central belt involved to do interviews, media stuff etc at training but it never went anywhere.

Edited by Mr X

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

REPLY: Dumfries is" Queen of the South,  The University Town" according to the Town signs. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Predictive text gone mad