The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Come on queens said:

If you can’t play the ball out from the back at goal kicks, what is the goalkeeper expected to do? Aim for the smallest player on the park? No you would aim for the tallest guy in the team. Anyone who’s played football at a decent level will tell you that any goalkeeper is told to kick the ball into wide positions from goal kicks, if they can’t play it out from the back. If you start punting straight down the middle and it’s headed by the defence, then they are straight back on top of you. By hitting it out wide if the defending team win the header it’s not going to go into such a dangerous area if it stays in play at all. I’ve not really seen any team in the division successfully play out from the back. If we had any players that comfortable on playing out from the back then we probably  wouldn’t have them for long. 

IF we had a goalkeeper who could get the majority of his long kicks to find a wide player,  or even keep it in the playing area,  and IF we had a such a wide player who could actually make good use of these kicks it wouldn't be so frustrating.  In reality we give away possession on most occasions because we try and play it into such a small target area too near the touchline.  I get what you're saying about the ability of the players at this level who wouldn't be here if they had better control but how long should you persist with a tactic that clearly doesn't suit us. Is it OK to do it just because the opposition are just as unsuccessful and we cancel each other out.   As for other teams playing it out from the back,  when Naysmith plays one man up front (ie Dobbie) the opposition seem to have a lot of space to play from the back especially if the midfield is sitting deep.(Naysmith's negativity).   Even Dobbie can't cut out balls to every defender.  I've noticed that happen on a few occasions albeit mostly against the so-called big teams.  When we play two up or with the midfield pressing we restrict their supply from the back and actually try and force them into mistakes. Watching goalkeepers at either end if the park continually sending goal kicks and clearances into the stands isn't my idea of an entertaining game. 

Guest Flash

Don’t remember this topic even being an issue before Skelton and Naysmith came in. So the players seemed to cope ok until a couple of years ago. If we are saying that there are no full-time professional footballers playing in defence in this division, including full-backs, who are capable of receiving the ball and passing it on to a teammate, then that is a sorry state of affairs.  

The argument seems to have changed. SD’s point was that lumping it wide wasn't a Naysmith tactic and we only did it sometimes when Dykes was playing wide. Now it appears that it is the sole tactic of every team in the division because no centre-backs or full-backs at this level can receive or pass the ball. 

I'm well aware the standard in Scotland and at our level is far from fantastic but f**k me, if players at this level aren't expected to be able to receive the ball and pass to a team-mate without hoofing it up the park then things are a lot worse than I thought.

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

Don’t remember this topic even being an issue before Skelton and Naysmith came in. So the players seemed to cope ok until a couple of years ago. If we are saying that there are no full-time professional footballers playing in defence in this division, including full-backs, who are capable of receiving the ball and passing it on to a teammate, then that is a sorry state of affairs.  

The argument seems to have changed. SD’s point was that lumping it wide wasn't a Naysmith tactic and we only did it sometimes when Dykes was playing wide. Now it appears that it is the sole tactic of every team in the division because no centre-backs or full-backs at this level can receive or pass the ball. 

I don't think it is necessarily a shortage of defenders with that ability that is the issue.  It was a shortage of midfielders with any sort of composure to then take the ball from them that was the bigger problem.  If you had the choice between lumping it forward or giving it to Rankin or Jacobs what would you do?  I'd be aiming for the prison!

As I said I think the introduction of Harkins will be key in this.  We've not had a composed ball player in the middle of the park since Mark Kerr.  It is the most important position on the pitch if you ask me.  It is no surprise that our most successful sides have had someone in their with a bit of guile.  The likes of Tosh, Young and Kerr are worth their weight in gold.

I can fully appreciate "Come on queens'" reasoning as to why playing it long is the safe option.  If we are to improve on last season, particularly at home, we are going to need to be a bit more adventurous and choose the safe option less often.  We know the players are capable because on the rare occasions we did knock it about with speed and purpose we looked good.  I'm not sure if it is a tactical decision by the manager, or a confidence issue with the players.

Guest Flash
31 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I don't think it is necessarily a shortage of defenders with that ability that is the issue.  It was a shortage of midfielders with any sort of composure to then take the ball from them that was the bigger problem.  If you had the choice between lumping it forward or giving it to Rankin or Jacobs what would you do?  I'd be aiming for the prison!

As I said I think the introduction of Harkins will be key in this.  We've not had a composed ball player in the middle of the park since Mark Kerr.  It is the most important position on the pitch if you ask me.  It is no surprise that our most successful sides have had someone in their with a bit of guile.  The likes of Tosh, Young and Kerr are worth their weight in gold.

I can fully appreciate "Come on queens'" reasoning as to why playing it long is the safe option.  If we are to improve on last season, particularly at home, we are going to need to be a bit more adventurous and choose the safe option less often.  We know the players are capable because on the rare occasions we did knock it about with speed and purpose we looked good.  I'm not sure if it is a tactical decision by the manager, or a confidence issue with the players.

I, perhaps mistakenly, thought Come on queens point was that there were no defenders in the division capable of playing out from the keeper because he wasn’t just talking about us. So, is it actually that there are no players at all in the division capable of receiving the ball from the goalkeeper and passing it?

I take your point about Jacobs and Rankin, but you don’t necessarily have to play everything from the goalkeeper through the middle - there are full-backs and wingers that the keeper can pass the ball to.  And you kind of contradict yourself a little by saying we actually could knock it about with speed and purpose when we tried it. 

I’m just a little confused now by what the argument is. You are are saying we don’t have the midfield players to play out from the keeper another is saying no team in the division has anybody who can play out, and another says we don’t nearly always lump goal kicks etc. wide anyway. They can’t all be right. However, it is probably something that everybody is going to have to remain in disagreement on.  As you say, we will see next season whether Harkins makes a difference.

Have Harkins & Todd actually signed ? Still to see any photographic evidence that they’ve signed on the dotted line like every other club does

Too much to ask SD ...?

Todds on holiday, going by his nonstop Instagram posts. But aye a wee photo with the scarf/top would’ve been nice when they signed

4 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Todds on holiday, going by her his nonstop Instagram posts. But aye a wee photo with the scarf/top would’ve been nice when they signed

Aye spot on ,PR isn't exactly a strong point .Billy never says anything .

Who was the last person? I really can't recall us announcing a signing with the player holding the scarf.

Not done it for a while but it has been done before. Don’t have that good a memory to remember who, but definitely remember it.

I didn't think it was a regular thing. But I'm rarely on the website tbh so wouldn't see it unless it was posted here.

I find it a bit strange that folk are getting a panic on just because we haven't seen the new signings holding a Queens scarf. It's been confirmed they've signed. That's enough for me.

I didn't think it was a regular thing. But I'm rarely on the website tbh so wouldn't see it unless it was posted here.

I find it a bit strange that folk are getting a panic on just because we haven't seen the new signings holding a Queens scarf. It's been confirmed they've signed. That's enough for me.

Nae panic just would be good to see, rather just we’ve signed such and such. Never even got to hear from Todd or Harkins.

I just want another signing, picture or no picture

Who was the last person? I really can't recall us announcing a signing with the player holding the scarf.

Top of my head we had photographs of Dobbie & Steve Rigg when they signed

Can’t believe Queens don’t do it. Our PR continues to be dreadful

Think you’re maybe missing the point. These are the kind of things EVERY other club does including non league and amateur sides yet we can’t do it

Poor PR

Think you’re maybe missing the point. These are the kind of things EVERY other club does including non league and amateur sides yet we can’t do it

Poor PR
What difference would it make if we announced it with the player holding a scarf?