The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Qos88 said:

No surprise we got 4th worst pitch in Scotland as we don't look after it correctly unlike Falkirk Do

https://www.sisis.com/sisis-helps-to-maintain-falkirk-fcs-synthetic-pitch/1025.htm

To be fair, all ours needs is a good ironing once or twice a week. Only weak spot it has is idiots armed with flares.

No surprise we got 4th worst pitch in Scotland as we don't look after it correctly unlike Falkirk Do

https://www.sisis.com/sisis-helps-to-maintain-falkirk-fcs-synthetic-pitch/1025.htm
Where has it been said we're 4th worst pitch? Falkirk have a quality surface, just a shame about the dross they have playing on it.

Motherwell must have turned it around to be voted best. For years it was an abomination from winter onwards. Very patchy.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Where has it been said we're 4th worst pitch? Falkirk have a quality surface, just a shame about the dross they have playing on it.

Motherwell must have turned it around to be voted best. For years it was an abomination from winter onwards. Very patchy.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2735314/celtic-rangers-hearts-hibs-aberdeen-scottish-premierships-pitches-study-spfl-surfaces/

11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'd take the whole thing with a pinch of salt when you see Livie's pitch rated 4th. It was like a bog when we played on it last season.

I'd take the whole thing with a pinch of salt when you see Livie's pitch rated 4th. It was like a bog when we played on it last season.
We have a consistently excellent surface, likely marked down by all the gimps that don't like putting their dodgy knees on the line. Never got Scotlands hatred of 4g surfaces, especially when pretty much every club other than the old firm starts the season with an average pitch which then resembles the somme by December.

Can we really compare our playing surface against the likes of Falkirk's? Are they the same manufacturer,  material,  construction,  substrate,  etc.  They may both be classed as 4G but they bear little resemblance to each other.  Whether the ball moves differently on one than other I've no idea.  I saw Alloa's pitch on telly in the play-offs and it looks a vast improvement on their previous surface,  and better than ours.   I think players/management have a bit of mind block when it comes to artificial pitches though,  as  an easy excuse to cover poor performances.  Playing on artificial surfaces obviously differs from playing on grass but players and management don't alter their approach,  they play their "grass" game with long high balls, leading to misreading bounces,  etc,   instead of playing more on the deck with passing to feet and running into positions looking for a pass,  more like a bigger version of indoor 5's game basically.  Obviously this is a lot harder and tiring and requires better ball control which is why most opt for booting the ball as hard and as far as they can. 

49 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

IMG_1528124747.306397.jpg

Happy enough with those fixtures.  Never been back to Motherwell since our Challenge Cup Final defeat there (I don't think) and never been to Ainslie Park so that will be something new.  Happy to avoid Broadwood, and not too fussed that we missed a trip to the Cleyhole. 

Pfa player survey only kille Hamilton and Albion rivers got worse pitches

From the Boardroom blog last week

The pitch passed it’s Fifa 2 star test last week so is good to go for the next season and I hope you will agree that it was playing as well as ever in the last few games with Kevin working on it every day.

What are your thoughts on Jim McIntyre as a manager? From memory he took over just after Johnston got you promoted and then did one, same as us with Ross. Was that the season you got to the play-off with Rangers and gave them a fright at Ibrox?

With Robbie Neilson pulling out of the race he must have a good shout of being the next St Mirren manager.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

What are your thoughts on Jim McIntyre as a manager? From memory he took over just after Johnston got you promoted and then did one, same as us with Ross. Was that the season you got to the play-off with Rangers and gave them a fright at Ibrox?

With Robbie Neilson pulling out of the race he must have a good shout of being the next St Mirren manager.

No, James Fowler took over from McIntyre one month into the season we were competing with Rangers.

McIntyre took over from Johnston and, after a wee bit of a stuttering start, took us to 4th and unlucky to lose to Falkirk in injury time in the playoffs.

He very much split opinion among Queens fans. I am in the great manager camp. Others will come on and say he tinkered more than necessary and didnt really achieve anything we shouldnt have. The reasons have been debated on here countless times so not going to start it up again.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, James Fowler took over from McIntyre one month into the season we were competing with Rangers.

McIntyre took over from Johnston and, after a wee but of a stuttering start, took us to 4th and unlucky to lose to Falkirk in injury time in the playoffs.

He very much split opinion among Queens fans. I am in the great manager camp. Others will come on and say he tinkered more than necessary and didnt really achieve anything we shouldnt have. The reasons have been debated on here countless times so not going to start it up again.

Ah apologies, got my seasons mixed up. Still, a good effort when he'd only just arrived at a newly promoted club.