The Queen of the South thread

55 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd sooner be away to Stranraer than Edinburgh. We've played Edinburgh away but not at home and derby matches are always better being the away side. I know that distaste for Stranraer isn't what it once was but I'd still prefer to play them at Stair Park.

We’ve played Edinburgh away at Meadowbank before but they are groundsharing with Spartans next season I believe.

47 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

We’ve played Edinburgh away at Meadowbank before but they are groundsharing with Spartans next season I believe.

Are they still there? They were there all last season. Forgot they had been there. Not been to Spartans so hope we are away there if they are still playing there.

They had two ex Queens keepers last season in Calum Antell and Fraser Morton.

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are they still there? They were there all last season. Forgot they had been there. Not been to Spartans so hope we are away there if they are still playing there.

They had two ex Queens keepers last season in Calum Antell and Fraser Morton.

Certainly seem to be playing their pre-season friendlies there.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In hindsight, it maybe hasn't been a great move, but it made plenty sense for him (and Rangers) at the time.  In fact, even in hindsight, it might not look that bad.  His career since suggests that he's a decent player at Scottish second tier level and probably wasn't likely to get an awful lot higher.  As is though, he got to play for a massive club he supported at that level.

He's possibly sincere enough, and even wise in having no real regrets.

Fair play.  He does come across an ok bloke. 

“When you go to rangers, you don’t expect to be paying every game” (or words to that affect). I still believe Nicky Clark would’ve been better at Queens. If you are to be a premiership quality player , you have to be playing virtually every week when you’re 21/22. I see the appeal of moving to Rangers, big club, boyhood fan etc, but that move potentially cost him a more successful career. In saying that he still has time on his side.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yep, it's off. Will be formally cancelled next week.

Hopefully can get in a replacement friendly at home. In some ways the Betfred cup has taken away the potential to play non Scottish teams in friendlies for teams like us as most will still either still be on their summer holidays or at the very beginning of pre season when we arrange them.

Totally agree with all that. I’ll always remember his goal at Palmy that beat Gretna’s record of goals in a season. Not the greatest Queens memory but hugely enjoyable all the same. I was in the Portland Street end and recall much jubilation. 

Yep. But I remember being in a fairly small minority on the Mad website who thought he was worth hanging onto after that first season. I’m not often right but...

Sorry if this is off topic but I'm sure I'd asked @Skyline Drifter about the new Reserve League lately.

St Johnstone have come out discussing why they won't be taking part. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Question for SD (or anybody itk),  are there details of any events planned to mark the Club's Centenary Year apart from the special playing kits being released?  

On the playing side,  I'm hoping we can mark the occasion with a top 4 finish (a long shot possibly)  and/or a decent run in one of the major domestic cups.  

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Question for SD (or anybody itk),  are there details of any events planned to mark the Club's Centenary Year apart from the special playing kits being released?  

On the playing side,  I'm hoping we can mark the occasion by winning the Championship and  the Scottish and Diddy Cups

FTFY #EverTheOptimist #DreamBig

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

FTFY #EverTheOptimist #DreamBig

Did think of putting it that way when I posted but didn't want to be too optimistic.  

I also thought a pop concert would be a good idea but quickly dismissed that for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As one of Mark Blount's blogs said, a Centenary Committee has been formed and are working on a few ideas. There is definitely a new Iain McCartney book. They are trying to get a suitable friendly. I would be surprised if there isnt a dinner. I am not on the committee though so no idea how far they have got with any of it.