The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt a new contract was ever even considered by either party. Holt never settled in Dundee and moved back to Dumfries within a year where he is newly married with a young daughter and his wife has a business in the town. He's done a hell of a lot of travelling in the last two years to training and I imagine all parties have known for more than a year he was going to move to a club nearer home when his contract expired (unless someone in England offers him daft money to uproot the whole family I suppose). McCann may very well think he can do better but that's not necessarily the reason there was no talk of an extension.

It would be great to have Holt back here but I think he's probably still capable of getting a Premiership club and St Mirren with half the travelling and James Fowler there already (and potentially his old mates Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly) fits the bill nicely.

Kevin Holt never had a future at Dundee as he a had a fallout with McCann at the same time as Scott Bain who he travelled to Dundee with .

No chance of getting Holt or Durnan we could get nowhere near the wages they would want but that would sort our defence out .

Holt would be a  upgrade on Marshall and the same for Durnan and Brownlie 

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Kevin Holt never had a future at Dundee as he a had a fallout with McCann at the same time as Scott Bain who he travelled to Dundee with .

No chance of getting Holt or Durnan we could get nowhere near the wages they would want but that would sort our defence out .

Holt would be a  upgrade on Marshall and the same for Durnan and Brownlie 

That  is spot on .He turned down an extension offer earlier in the year .

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt a new contract was ever even considered by either party. Holt never settled in Dundee and moved back to Dumfries within a year where he is newly married with a young daughter and his wife has a business in the town. He's done a hell of a lot of travelling in the last two years to training and I imagine all parties have known for more than a year he was going to move to a club nearer home when his contract expired (unless someone in England offers him daft money to uproot the whole family I suppose). McCann may very well think he can do better but that's not necessarily the reason there was no talk of an extension.

It would be great to have Holt back here but I think he's probably still capable of getting a Premiership club and St Mirren with half the travelling and James Fowler there already (and potentially his old mates Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly) fits the bill nicely.

Ok that seems fair enough. It seemed strange that despite signing an alternative left back  McCann quite quickly reverted to playing Holt and yet there didn't seem to be an offer on the table. I didn't realise that he actually lived in Dumfries and that is a hell of a distance to be travelling regularly, especially in bad weather or given the overall state of our roads. I thought he was ok and I'm sure he'll get fixed up. On the CB front a better option from the Dundee list is probably Kostadin Gadzahlov, who I thought never really got a fair go at Dens.

4 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Will be out until next year unfortunately

That is a gutter for both him and us. Him because he was starting to improve his defending and us because it means a wage is almost harsh as it is "wasted" on a player who wont feature. Wonder if we knew about this when giving him a new deal. Guessing with that timescale it could be a cruciate ligament issue

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It was Mercer who got injured and left by ambulance.  No news on how serious his injury is. 

Edit to add: sorry didn't read posts already clarifying this. 

Duh.

23 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Julen Etxabeguren 6.3" defender released by Dundee as well as Kevin Holt. He played for Nayamith at East Fife 2014 before signing with 3year deal at Dundee when came over to Scotland. Maybe worth a look.. 

John Robertsons Inverness interested in signing him. 

Good news about Mercer looks like he will be fit for the start of the season but no mention of the Brownlie injury 

Looks like we will have to wait a while now for any new signing .

Most players will wait to see if they get any better offers than what we will be offering .

No chance of signing Holt and Durnan will both get offers that we could not get anywhere near 

Cammy Bell released by Hibs at the end of his contract. I know the timing is not great but I always felt Cammy would be a good signing for us and a return home for him. However currently we have two reasonable goalkeepers and that department is perhaps not where our greatest need to strengthen is just now.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Cammy Bell released by Hibs at the end of his contract. I know the timing is not great but I always felt Cammy would be a good signing for us and a return home for him. However currently we have two reasonable goalkeepers and that department is perhaps not where our greatest need to strengthen is just now.

He also isn’t very good anymore and has knees disintegrating faster than a meteor in the atmosphere.

5 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

He also isn’t very good anymore and has knees disintegrating faster than a meteor in the atmosphere.

I wouldn't think it would be that much of a risk.  According to the paper I read,  Lennon would have kept him,   so he must think he's reliable,  but he was overruled from above.  As usual money would probably be a stumbling block if we approached him. As BeeJay says above we are probably well covered in that position,  barring injuries of course. 

I hate to say this but I hope Livingstone win on Sunday and go up to the Premiership where they will struggle.  Firhill a far better day out than the pasta stadium, Thistle will bring far more fans down to Palmerston than any other team in the league, and Livi's way of playing et al is more at home on ice at an ice hockey match. 

9 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I hate to say this but I hope Livingstone win on Sunday and go up to the Premiership where they will struggle.  Firhill a far better day out than the pasta stadium, Thistle will bring far more fans down to Palmerston than any other team in the league, and Livi's way of playing et al is more at home on ice at an ice hockey match. 

I hope for the opposite. If Livi stay down we will have more chance of signing Mullin if previous poster is correct. I also feel they will lose alot of their main players like Byrne, Halkett and Hardie whos on loan and with a lower budget than both us and Partick might struggle to replicate what theyve done.

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

I hope for the opposite. If Livi stay down we will have more chance of signing Mullin if previous poster is correct. I also feel they will lose alot of their main players like Byrne, Halkett and Hardie whos on loan and with a lower budget than both us and Partick might struggle to replicate what theyve done.

Surely more chance if they go up?

Edited by Brother Grimm

1 hour ago, Brother Grimm said:

Surely more chance if they go up?

Depends if its a case of him waiting for them or them waiting for him. If its them waiting on him then promotion may make his mind up and they will have the wages to pay him what he desires. If its him waiting on them then perhaps they view as a good option for this league but not good enough for the step up. Really no sure what it is. He looked impressive off the bench in the last game. If they stay in our league then we would probably be able to offer him more so that may sway it

54 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Apparently St mirren have open talks with kevin holt. They will easily have more pulling power than us but i hoped that due to where he lives we were a good option. 

Kevin Holt has to go where he can get the most money he will earn about double what Queens can offer him at St Mirren .