The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I wouldn't go as far as that tbh.  Let's consider some he has brought in.

Agree totally with your analysis.

Naysmith's signings have always generated a bit of buzz because they have been different to what we are used to. Rooney coming from the National League, Kyle Cameron from Newcastle, Beerman a Malta international with first-team games at Rangers, and Mercer who I think we paid money for and was meant to be an exciting young prospect.

The reality has rarely been as good as expected, and never better, but that can all change this transfer window so I will try not to be negative.

3 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Naysmith's signings have always generated a bit of buzz because they have been different to what we are used to. Rooney coming from the National League, Kyle Cameron from Newcastle, Beerman a Malta international with first-team games at Rangers, and Mercer who I think we paid money for and was meant to be an exciting young prospect.

The reality has rarely been as good as expected, and never better, but that can all change this transfer window so I will try not to be negative.

Quite agree about trying to be positive and getting Harkins and Todd signed up looks a promising start.  The changes to the loan system,  where his best recruitment  came from, means Naysmith will have to be extra sure that his signings are up to the task from the very start. 

Julen Etxabeguren 6.3" defender released by Dundee as well as Kevin Holt. He played for Nayamith at East Fife 2014 before signing with 3year deal at Dundee when came over to Scotland. Maybe worth a look.. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

I would argue that his recruitment was good because he identified good signings and brought them in.

Their relative success afterwards could have been affected by his poor coaching/tactics. I’ve said before, we hear so much about how amazing his training is but it didn’t seem to have much of an affect on the pitch.

Anyway, a new season awaits and I hope he has learned from this one!

If our defending of set-pieces doesn't improve I think I might implode this season. I hope someone hands him stats on this so it can be a big focus in pre-season. I'm happy with the 2 new signings but I'm not getting carried away yet, considering our backline is likely going to be the same as last seasons with presumably a weaker LB.

17 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

I would argue that his recruitment was good because he identified good signings and brought them in.

Their relative success afterwards could have been affected by his poor coaching/tactics. I’ve said before, we hear so much about how amazing his training is but it didn’t seem to have much of an affect on the pitch.

Anyway, a new season awaits and I hope he has learned from this one!

I think his first two signings don't support your opening sentence.  Rankin has been about a long time so Naysmith wouldn't influence his play too much and he didn't exactly set the heather on fire.   Mercer he had at East Fife so he should have had a fair idea of his ability and potential.  Again he didn't impress too much in his first season.  To be fair Naysmith got the job at pretty short notice so he probably wanted some of his own players in when he took over. 

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Julen Etxabeguren 6.3" defender released by Dundee as well as Kevin Holt. He played for Nayamith at East Fife 2014 before signing with 3year deal at Dundee when came over to Scotland. Maybe worth a look.. 

I think Etxabeguren has left the country going by a tweet from him that somebody posted. Not sure he's what you would need in that division (or any come to that). Good with the ball at his feet but not very imposing and definitely liable to give away a penalty.He's been  a bit of a sick note as well. Holt played plenty of games for us but was unfairly a target for the boo boys. He's not the worst we had and he ended the season strongly. However there was never any news of his contract being extended and it was pretty evident that McCann thought he could find a better option. There were rumours linking him with St Mirren.

4 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Which two English clubs are coming into next seasons IRN-BRU Cup ....?

I personally don't think it will happen but I'm sure there was talk of it being English Non-League Clubs.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Baker said:

I think Etxabeguren has left the country going by a tweet from him that somebody posted. Not sure he's what you would need in that division (or any come to that). Good with the ball at his feet but not very imposing and definitely liable to give away a penalty.He's been  a bit of a sick note as well. Holt played plenty of games for us but was unfairly a target for the boo boys. He's not the worst we had and he ended the season strongly. However there was never any news of his contract being extended and it was pretty evident that McCann thought he could find a better option. There were rumours linking him with St Mirren.

I doubt a new contract was ever even considered by either party. Holt never settled in Dundee and moved back to Dumfries within a year where he is newly married with a young daughter and his wife has a business in the town. He's done a hell of a lot of travelling in the last two years to training and I imagine all parties have known for more than a year he was going to move to a club nearer home when his contract expired (unless someone in England offers him daft money to uproot the whole family I suppose). McCann may very well think he can do better but that's not necessarily the reason there was no talk of an extension.

It would be great to have Holt back here but I think he's probably still capable of getting a Premiership club and St Mirren with half the travelling and James Fowler there already (and potentially his old mates Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly) fits the bill nicely.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt a new contract was ever even considered by either party. Holt never settled in Dundee and moved back to Dumfries within a year where he is newly married with a young daughter and his wife has a business in the town. He's done a hell of a lot of travelling in the last two years to training and I imagine all parties have known for more than a year he was going to move to a club nearer home when his contract expired (unless someone in England offers him daft money to uproot the whole family I suppose). McCann may very well think he can do better but that's not necessarily the reason there was no talk of an extension.

It would be great to have Holt back here but I think he's probably still capable of getting a Premiership club and St Mirren with half the travelling and James Fowler there already (and potentially his old mates Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly) fits the bill nicely.

Fowler on way to Ipswich and Gavin hasn't signed yet...

37 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Crocked a at Brechin, last game of the season. Ambulance job.

Not Brownlie he didn't play that game small injury in training before game, Mercer injured got moon boot on the now. 

1 hour ago, louisxiv said:

Crocked a at Brechin, last game of the season. Ambulance job.

It was Mercer who got injured and left by ambulance.  No news on how serious his injury is. 

Edit to add: sorry didn't read posts already clarifying this. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs