The Queen of the South thread

18 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Oh well, it's Ross County (the new Gretna) next season then. Won't need to open the away terracing.

Not good for us now having to make 4 trips to the Highlands  and next to no away support from both Ross County and Inverness.

If as I expect Patrick win the playoffs then the away support will be down on last season.

Would like us to get at least another 3 new signings in .

Left back another centre half and a right sided midfielder .

Do we give Andy Stirling another chance been watching him in the playoffs can we get better than him ?

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hardly "the new Gretna" either,    they didnt try to buy success in the same way by throwing silly money at it and appeared to work their way up through the divisions in the proper manner.

:shutup

"Didnt buy success" :lol:

. Neither will they when we go up there.   Queens fans aren't really in a position to slate other clubs' crowds or number of travelling fans.  Hardly "the new Gretna" either,    they didnt try to buy success in the same way by throwing silly money at it and appeared to work their way up through the divisions in the proper manner. I'm sure a few fans have said in the past that Ross County or St.  Johnstone are the type of Club model that Queens should try and emulate.   Having said that,  on a completely personal level, travelling up the A9 (at least)  four times next season isn't really getting me excited even though both Inverness and Dingwall are pretty good away days.  Also from the Club's point of view it will involve more financial outlay with travelling and overnight stays.  Hardly the ideal outcome but it is what it is. 

I agree with you in regards to 'crowd wanking' but County's sugar daddy has played a massive role in their previous success.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I agree with you in regards to 'crowd wanking' but County's sugar daddy has played a massive role in their previous success.

That is my point. A village team bankrolled by a sugar daddy. Sounds like another Gretna to me.

I'm struggling to find much evidence of this "success" that the Ross County owner has apparently bankrolled.  He hasn't splashed out on mega-star players to try and win the league,  I doubt if the players are on top wages and they have been largely a mid to lower SPL/Premiership club since they went up.  They have had some Cup success but have hardly been regular finalists. If buying success means putting cash in to maintain their top flight status then every club must be guilty of at least trying to buy success. I see very little similarity in the background of Gretna's meteoric but ultimately doomed rise with how Ross County are run.  If they had been a big town or city team financed by a "sugar-daddy" would that be OK or is it just because they are a small town team that makes people think its wrong. 

What surprises me most about the Ross County story is that for a town of roughly 5500 inhabitants they have an average home support of between 3k-4k.
We can’t even muster half of that these days from a town and surrounding area of around 40k!!

Say what you want but Stirling did have a few chances to stake a claim, and apart from maybe Dunfermline away, i don't think he shown enough.

- He's had one full game in the league for us.

- In his other 4 league starts he was subbed each time.

- Similarly, in the cup he started 7 games and was subbed on 5 occasions.

- He's been given a maximum of 4 starts in a row (on 2 seperate occasions).

- 12 starts overall, hooked in 9 of those.

He's had a few games but I don't think those stats would suggest he's really been given a chance. 4 games isn't a big opportunity to build up some consistency.

I don't believe Stirling is some kind of superstar but I'm frustrated that he was never given a run in a side that had no great wide players. Murray was given far more game time than Stirling - was he really that much better? Even Dykes wasn't anything particularly special out wide. Of those 3 it's just a fact that Stirling was given less of an opportunity and IMO can feel hard done by as those boys were far from fantastic.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

What surprises me most about the Ross County story is that for a town of roughly 5500 inhabitants they have an average home support of between 3k-4k.
We can’t even muster half of that these days from a town and surrounding area of around 40k!!

Depressing stat on the difference in our crowds. I do think improvement in our crowds will come but these things take time and a lot of effort. 

6 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Depressing stat on the difference in our crowds. I do think improvement in our crowds will come but these things take time and a lot of effort. 

What form do you think this lots of effort should take?

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm struggling to find much evidence of this "success" that the Ross County owner has apparently bankrolled.  He hasn't splashed out on mega-star players to try and win the league,  I doubt if the players are on top wages and they have been largely a mid to lower SPL/Premiership club since they went up.  They have had some Cup success but have hardly been regular finalists. If buying success means putting cash in to maintain their top flight status then every club must be guilty of at least trying to buy success. I see very little similarity in the background of Gretna's meteoric but ultimately doomed rise with how Ross County are run.  If they had been a big town or city team financed by a "sugar-daddy" would that be OK or is it just because they are a small town team that makes people think its wrong. 

The difference between Gretna and Ross County is their approach to publicity more than their spending. Well that and the fact McGregor has genuine wealth and isnt a complete shyster. Mileson courted publicity, had photographers turn up every time he wrote a cheque and shoved his spending down everybody's throat albeit whilst claiming players were "coming to work with Rowan". McGregor is the complete opposite and stays under the radar as much as possible. The laughable claim when they won this League that nobody was on more than £500 a week being a fine example. The players at County were handsomely rewarded.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

If County told me there were 31 days in May I would presume there were actually 15. There is a reason the phrase "count the eyes" entered P&B speak over the years.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Contrast that with Queens where our chairman and directors aren’t in a position to introduce anything like £1.5m a year into the club, afaiia. Indeed, happy to be corrected if this is wrong, but my understanding is that they have paid nothing in, apart from their initial purchase of a small number of shares. I think if we were able to have somebody paying in £1.5m a year it would (or should) make a huge difference to the team.  I’m just not sure whether you are right when you say every club is the same as County and we are the exception. Or whether most other clubs are similar to us and County are the exception

Not £1.5m per annum or anywhere near it but our directors companies are certainly providing at least six figures worth of uncharged services to the club annually. The accounts make note of that each year without attaching a monetary value to it.

All the directors also wrote off substantial loan balances a few years ago. Over £600k I think it was.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What form do you think this lots of effort should take?

Honestly. No idea. I have put forward suggestions and will look to put more in the future that I feel might help the club. I try to do my bit. I think the slo are trying hard as well as the trust amongst others, to get the club the best it can be. Honestly I don' know if there is a right answer, it' just hope that people come to watch queens and that what is being put forward entertainment and facilty wise is good enough to keep people coming back. 

56 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Attacking football at home games (ie not just one up front)

Against Brechin, Dumbarton and utd   yes I agree. However st mirror, livi, Morton, Falkirk etc are different teams and you have to play a system that you think will give you victory or at the very least allow you to take points. 

I realise his team selections and formation haven't always been on point but I think he has shown in games he can get it right. 

As I said earlier in this thread we have the best player in the league by a country mile, the coaching team need to use a system and acquire players to get the very best out of Dobbie. Let other teams worry about us !! In my opinion the coaching team have got it wrong the majority of the season, now as it appears no changes will be made I sincerely hope they have sat down analysed where they got it wrong and get it right for the coming season. They have some decent players to work with if used to their strengths. It’s worrying how an international and premiership defender cannot set up a defence !! but let’s hope he can fix this over the summer and we can see a vast improvement in August

1 hour ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

As I said earlier in this thread we have the best player in the league by a country mile, the coaching team need to use a system and acquire players to get the very best out of Dobbie. Let other teams worry about us !! In my opinion the coaching team have got it wrong the majority of the season, now as it appears no changes will be made I sincerely hope they have sat down analysed where they got it wrong and get it right for the coming season. They have some decent players to work with if used to their strengths. It’s worrying how an international and premiership defender cannot set up a defence !! but let’s hope he can fix this over the summer and we can see a vast improvement in August

Agree with all of that .

County get a decent amount of support from the wider Highland area including Inverness. There’s still a fair few folk up that way who don’t like what happened with the ICT merger.

22 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure a few fans have said in the past that Ross County or St.  Johnstone are the type of Club model that Queens should try and emulate.   

Please don't suggest our model is even remotely close to Countys. We cut our budget year on year and support losses through a huge pot of money we've built up over decades. 

Countys losses, over £800k in a good year, are completely wiped out by the chairman's personal fund, and their third choice striker is on over £5k a week. 

Theyve used about forty players in ever top flight season, and regularly buy double figures worth of players in January if things aren't going well.