The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

According to the papers today Stirling is not in our plans with both Dumbarton and Ayr interested.

If this is true why on earth did Naysmith sign him in the first place ?

Yet another example of his poor management skills - he would rather ditch people than work with them to get the best out of them.

It seems the majority of fans thought he had something to offer but was never given a decent chance.

Stirling undoubtedly has some ability so presumably thats why he was signed.  FWIW I would keep him. We don`t know what he was like in terms of attitude. Maybe he wants to go. Who knows.

As to ditching people rather than work with them the very opposite could be said of Lyndon Dykes. Plenty of fans wanted him ditched and felt he should be nowhere near the team but Naysmith persevered and the guy has developed into an important player for us. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

16 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

According to the papers today Stirling is not in our plans with both Dumbarton and Ayr interested.

Yet another example of his poor management skills - he would rather ditch people than work with them to get the best out of them.

It seems the majority of fans thought he had something to offer but was never given a decent chance.

Will this be another contract that has to be paid up which we can ill afford ?

Pleasing. I'd be over the moon if we could bring him back permanently. 

He seems to only really play well for Stevie Aitken, for whatever reason, so I'd like to think he'll be keen to stay if you guys want rid.

Pleasing. I'd be over the moon if we could bring him back permanently. 
He seems to only really play well for Stevie Aitken, for whatever reason, so I'd like to think he'll be keen to stay if you guys want rid.

If it was between us and Dumbarton I think he’d go with Dumbarton.

I know we’re full time but Aitken seems to get the best out of him and he won’t be guaranteed a starting spot with us.

If he did sign with us I’d be pretty happy though.

If it was between us and Dumbarton I think he’d go with Dumbarton.

I know we’re full time but Aitken seems to get the best out of him and he won’t be guaranteed a starting spot with us.

If he did sign with us I’d be pretty happy though.

I just can’t see him and McCall working if he was to end up at Somerset. Better money and full-time training would be very appealing though I’d imagine.

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Stirling undoubtedly has some ability so presumably thats why he was signed.  FWIW I would keep him. We don`t know what he was like in terms of attitude. Maybe he wants to go. Who knows.

As to ditching people rather than work with them the very opposite could be said of Lyndon Dykes. Plenty of fans wanted him ditched and felt he should be nowhere near the team but Naysmith persevered and the guy has developed into an important player for us. 

If you mean Naysmith persevered with Dykes by playing him in a position he offered very little at before realising he was better partnering Dobbie playing two up front,  then you are quite right. 

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

You have summed that up perfectly .Part of working  with players is man management ,whether you get on with them is irrelevant .

I’m not one of them! Undoubtedly got skill which we saw in flashes but too inconsistent. Lovely smile for the team photo though. Don’t imagine Queens will have to pay up his contract unless we free him.

I just can’t see him and McCall working if he was to end up at Somerset. Better money and full-time training would be very appealing though I’d imagine.

He fits the bill of player that McCall is looking for. He wants players with pace which we sorely lacked last time.

We have 4 players that can play wide but it wouldn’t surprise me if 2 left.

Can’t see him signing for you if Alloa turn it round on Sunday though.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's no chance all of those will be replaced. Squad was too big second half of the season and was carrying players who came in for injury cover such as Beerman and Todorov. Thomas only came in because Stirling went out. If Stirling is coming back then that one effectively reverses. Beerman came in because Marshall was injured. We'll not be signing three more full backs. Clearly we need a left back and probably a right back since Mercer can cover left. I doubt we'll have two more strikers either. We have Dobbie, Dykes and Fergusson already (and Tremble potentially).

The loan system is changing for next season and we certainly won't be able to work the loans the way we did second half of last season when we had 6 domestic loans in. Maximum of 4 at any one time next season.

Can we still have a  emergency loan signing like Todd was last season   

Is it one player over 21 in the 4 we can have .?

Could we have Thomson and Thomas on loan together again ?

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Can we still have a  emergency loan signing like Todd was last season   

Is it one player over 21 in the 4 we can have .?

Could we have Thomson and Thomas on loan together again ?

No emergency loans allowed now except goalkeepers in cases of genuine emergency and then only for one week at a time (though it can be renewed if the illness or injury is longer). Otherwise emergency loans have now gone. Window to window only.

No age restrictions now (though it was over 23 last season anyway, not over 21).

Im still not convinced by Dykes! He only scored really in the pressure free games. Would be nice if he could do it in some important matches. Still though will give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully he will have gained some confidence. If we go for a quality signing approach (ie Harkins) rather than quantity then wouldnt mind if we went with a slightly smaller squad. Youd never of thought Harkins would have been viable such is his quality. As others have said though guys who have been class elsewhere sometimes look totally different at us so suppose there is that possibility.  6 more players now for me. Anyone out there that would be "quality" and potentially "viable". For me Thomson is a stick on. Wouldnt it be lovely having Thomson, Harkins and Jacobs in that roll with Bell as backup. Wed be as strong as anyone there. Taiwo aswell. His and Jacobs industry would complement Harkins creativity beautifully. Who would folk like see targeted for final striking birth? I have this bad feeling we along with a few others could be in for Goodwillie! I just dont know if I could stomach him signing for us.

Harkins absolutely bossed the first game at TFS last season; seemed to be involved in everything positive, great passer and waltzed through the midfield to score a pretty decent goal. Second game at TFS however, oh dear. A sloppy, petulant mess as the game passed him by. And lucky not to see red.   There's your dilemma.    

Also the game at Cappielow where he was so badly bullied by our dirty, clugging hatchet man Sibbs he was subbed.
Decent player if you give him time, get in about him not so much.

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Im still not convinced by Dykes! He only scored really in the pressure free games. Would be nice if he could do it in some important matches. Still though will give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully he will have gained some confidence. If we go for a quality signing approach (ie Harkins) rather than quantity then wouldnt mind if we went with a slightly smaller squad. Youd never of thought Harkins would have been viable such is his quality. As others have said though guys who have been class elsewhere sometimes look totally different at us so suppose there is that possibility.  6 more players now for me. Anyone out there that would be "quality" and potentially "viable". For me Thomson is a stick on. Wouldnt it be lovely having Thomson, Harkins and Jacobs in that roll with Bell as backup. Wed be as strong as anyone there. Taiwo aswell. His and Jacobs industry would complement Harkins creativity beautifully. Who would folk like see targeted for final striking birth? I have this bad feeling we along with a few others could be in for Goodwillie! I just dont know if I could stomach him signing for us.

You make it sound like he didnt do anything at all in important matches. Lyndon scored against Dundee United who are in the play-offs, we drew that game. Scored against Livi who are also in the play-offs and finished second with a great season, we won that game. Scored the winner away to Morton. Also scored the 1st goal in extra time away to Montrose in the cup. You could say it was only Montrose but it was an important goal. If it wasnt for them goals then we would have finished well below 6th. He had a brilliant end to the season, maybe didn't do enough throughout the season but it wasn't only "pressure free games" he only scored in. 

Obviously you're allowed your opinion and can still not be convinced but I feel like he's been made a scapegoat all season and hasn't got enough credit for when he has done well. 

You make it sound like he didnt do anything at all in important matches. Lyndon scored against Dundee United who are in the play-offs, we drew that game. Scored against Livi who are also in the play-offs and finished second with a great season, we won that game. Scored the winner away to Morton. Also scored the 1st goal in extra time away to Montrose in the cup. You could say it was only Montrose but it was an important goal. If it wasnt for them goals then we would have finished well below 6th. He had a brilliant end to the season, maybe didn't do enough throughout the season but it wasn't only "pressure free games" he only scored in. 
Obviously you're allowed your opinion and can still not be convinced but I feel like he's been made a scapegoat all season and hasn't got enough credit for when he has done well. 

I think there is little doubt that if Dykes had been played up top on the shoulder of the last defender throughout the season with Dobbie partnering him we would have seen a different player. The team would have benefitted enormously as well. The only player who realistically could have challenged him for that role was Chris Kane but again his services were under-utilised. If you remember at the first Falkirk away game we played 3 up front - Kane and Dykes running in "behind" and Dobbie feeding off them - no coincidence that we won that game 4-1.

For some inexplicable reason that formation was quickly abandoned when in reality it could have served us very well especially during Kane's spell with us.

58 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think there is little doubt that if Dykes had been played up top on the shoulder of the last defender throughout the season with Dobbie partnering him we would have seen a different player. The team would have benefitted enormously as well. The only player who realistically could have challenged him for that role was Chris Kane but again his services were under-utilised. If you remember at the first Falkirk away game we played 3 up front - Kane and Dykes running in "behind" and Dobbie feeding off them - no coincidence that we won that game 4-1.

For some inexplicable reason that formation was quickly abandoned when in reality it could have served us very well especially during Kane's spell with us.

Yes if only Naiysmith had have been less negative .

Never had anyone that Naysmith felt could play left mid. Say what you want but Stirling did have a few chances to stake a claim, and apart from maybe Dunfermline away, i don't think he shown enough. We looked a far better side once Todd came in, although was probably too late in season.

I do agree that now we have Todd, Dykes is a must upfront with Dobbie especially at home. He was scratching games that left holes for Dobbie and even Thomson to have pops at goal or create for others.

I really hope that we strengthen strongly in defence, thats going to be key for us moving forward. RB, LB and a right good centre half are needed. Midfield probably only needing a Right winger, although a lot of us would like another centre mid (Joe Thomson)but we've got Connor Murray and Owen Bell in there also both probably need to make a proper mark on the first team next season along with Fergusson. Upfront i'd live with what we've got if it meant real quality coming in other positions, in an ideal world another option would be nice.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes we played well that day.

We played even better when we dismantled Dunfermline 5-2 at EEP in December. Again it was a team with good attacking intent. Dobbie and Kane up front and sharing the 5 goals. Stirling who was excellent played wide right and Dykes was wide left (of course he`s hopeless there) who was brought down for the penalty and set up Dobbie`s 3rd goal.  Our first goal which showed great combination between Dobbie, Stirling and Kane was a great counter attacking goal.

Tremendous performance that day.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, JessieField said:

Oh well, it's Ross County (the new Gretna) next season then. Won't need to open the away terracing.

. Neither will they when we go up there.   Queens fans aren't really in a position to slate other clubs' crowds or number of travelling fans.  Hardly "the new Gretna" either,    they didnt try to buy success in the same way by throwing silly money at it and appeared to work their way up through the divisions in the proper manner. I'm sure a few fans have said in the past that Ross County or St.  Johnstone are the type of Club model that Queens should try and emulate.   Having said that,  on a completely personal level, travelling up the A9 (at least)  four times next season isn't really getting me excited even though both Inverness and Dingwall are pretty good away days.  Also from the Club's point of view it will involve more financial outlay with travelling and overnight stays.  Hardly the ideal outcome but it is what it is.