The Queen of the South thread

Quite agree,  Dobbie prefers the ball to his feet,  as did Stirling when he was here,  as did Thomas,  it didn't stop the hoofball mentality we employed ad-nauseum. 

Brownlie being the biggest culprit yet being the first to be re-signed.

Naysmiths Loan signings during his time have been impressive,Kane Kerr Thomas and Thomson. Some more of that quality please Gary

Would like to see Stirling given chance out wide but I guess that boat has sailed.Probaly be a loanee in that role with Murray cover. A couple of Defenders needed but teams shaping up well.

Also looking like Joe won't be returning so wonder where he will end up,some player and was refreshing at 10am hoping he was the big signing.

6 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Naysmiths Loan signings during his time have been impressive,Kane Kerr Thomas and Thomson. Some more of that quality please Gary

Would like to see Stirling given chance out wide but I guess that boat has sailed.Probaly be a loanee in that role with Murray cover. A couple of Defenders needed but teams shaping up well.

Also looking like Joe won't be returning so wonder where he will end up,some player and was refreshing at 10am hoping he was the big signing.

Joe will have to wait to see what is happening at Celtic  to see if he is getting a new contract ..

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

With the departures of Lyle and Rankin then our oldest outfield player other than Dobbie is the 28 year old Andy Stirling whose future is far from certain either having been out on loan for the second half of the season. Even Alan Martin is only 29.

On the contrary I think an experienced playmaker is exactly what we needed. If we get the Harkins from Dundee /  Morton and not the one from Ayr then it's a terrific signing

I hope we sign another 2 full backs and a central defender next. We must cut down on the number of goals leaked, St Mirren and Livingston only leaked an average of one goal a game to make the top two positions. I did a quick check and if we'd reduced our goals against in games by one, we'd have picked up another 14 points in the League. We would have been second with 66 points. Get the defence sorted.

I hope we sign another 2 full backs and a central defender next. We must cut down on the number of goals leaked, St Mirren and Livingston only leaked an average of one goal a game to make the top two positions. I did a quick check and if we'd reduced our goals against in games by one, we'd have picked up another 14 points in the League. We would have been second with 66 points. Get the defence sorted.

If we somehow manage to defend crosses we'll do significantly better.

47 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Why no just reduce them to zero and then we would be top

7 hours ago, JessieField said:

Goals like the crazy one in the St mirren game in January for a start. Those kind of defensive errors need to be stamped out. We were in control that game and blew it terribly.

17 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Goals like the crazy one in the St mirren game in January for a start. Those kind of defensive errors need to be stamped out. We were in control that game and blew it terribly.

We didn't play St Mirren in January.

I guess you're referring to Reilly's first in the game just before Christmas at Palmerston.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We didn't play St Mirren in January.

I guess you're referring to Reilly's first in the game just before Christmas at Palmerston.

Yes. January was the thistle game I was at but I was also at the game above. Wires crossed but thank you for the correction.

Our Centenary year is almost upon us and it should be a good marketing ploy to take advantage of the press coverage we are going to receive during 2019. Does anyone know if there are any plans to have a Centenary game to mark the occasion? 

Edited by Bluenortherner

10 hours ago, JessieField said:

Assuming we run with a similar size squad then we have the following players still to replace -

Rooney

Kerr/Cameron

Marshall

Beerman

Thomas

Thompson

Lyle

Todorov/Kane

Carmichael

26 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Assuming we run with a similar size squad then we have the following players still to replace -

Rooney

Kerr/Cameron

Marshall

Beerman

Thomas

Thompson

Lyle

Todorov/Kane

Carmichael

There's no chance all of those will be replaced. Squad was too big second half of the season and was carrying players who came in for injury cover such as Beerman and Todorov. Thomas only came in because Stirling went out. If Stirling is coming back then that one effectively reverses. Beerman came in because Marshall was injured. We'll not be signing three more full backs. Clearly we need a left back and probably a right back since Mercer can cover left. I doubt we'll have two more strikers either. We have Dobbie, Dykes and Fergusson already (and Tremble potentially).

The loan system is changing for next season and we certainly won't be able to work the loans the way we did second half of last season when we had 6 domestic loans in. Maximum of 4 at any one time next season.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's no chance all of those will be replaced. Squad was too big second half of the season and was carrying players who came in for injury cover such as Beerman and Todorov. Thomas only came in because Stirling went out. If Stirling is coming back then that one effectively reverses. Beerman came in because Marshall was injured. We'll not be signing three more full backs. Clearly we need a left back and probably a right back since Mercer can cover left. I doubt we'll have two more strikers either. We have Dobbie, Dykes and Fergusson already (and Tremble potentially).

The loan system is changing for next season and we certainly won't be able to work the loans the way we did second half of last season when we had 6 domestic loans in. Maximum of 4 at any one time next season.

If the loan system is going to be more difficult to utilise next season, then surely that means we must indeed have a big enough squad already signed, to cover injuries, suspensions, etc ., that we're bound to get during 40-50 games next season?

According to the papers today Stirling is not in our plans with both Dumbarton and Ayr interested.

If this is true why on earth did Naysmith sign him in the first place ?

Yet another example of his poor management skills - he would rather ditch people than work with them to get the best out of them.

It seems the majority of fans thought he had something to offer but was never given a decent chance.

Will this be another contract that has to be paid up which we can ill afford ?