The Queen of the South thread

I mean he’s due to play for us at this stage with the amount of clubs he’s been through.  It could be very tasty with two absolute ballers playing some very sexy stuff with Harkins taking advantage of teams man marking Dobbie or it could be the opposite where we have two players that need to be the main man getting in each other’s way and being as good as useless defensively.  Personally i’ll take that over whatever you call John Rankins attempts of playing football last season.

Wow. That's' a decent signing from queens. I am concerned we might get the ayr United harkins however I think being in a winning team with some decent players around him, not just Dobbie, could be a really good thing for him. Harkins will bring quality dead ball delivery and I'm hoping dangerous through balls for dykes to chase. Something I never and probably many of you never saw last season. 

So far, as I said in a earlier post, the signings so far and drop in dead weight has been good. Keep up the good work gaffer. 

He is definitely the type of player that we have been crying out for - only 33 so hopefully some mileage left in tank. If Stirling were to come back ( a huge if) we would have some very decent creative options. We probably need to identify another workmanlike midfielder but I would be hopeful that Owen Bell might step up or at least challenge for a place.

Encouraging news - when does the season start??

Could be a good signing but I am a pessimist so I am not getting carried away. We have a habit of signing central midfielders of good pedigree, later in their career, who then disappoint - Mark Millar and John Rankin are two examples. If we get the Harkins that Morton had last year then I'll happily eat my words.

Every transfer window we end up praising this manager's selections. He always pulls something interesting out of the bag. The proof will be in the pudding.

Sorry - I am just a downer generally :P

I am absolutely buzzing with this signing. I remember seeing our games against Morton watching the 2 best players on the pitch taking it in turns to outdo each other with their brilliance. Now they are both together and what a mouthwatering prospect that is. Harkins will stop us playing the long ball game as he demands the ball into feet at all times and such is his passing range, we can start attacks with quality probing passing. I cant emphasise how much this signing changes the outlook. Last season not one of our midfielders would look for the ball from defence so the cbs were left with no option but to punt it. With 2 absolute quality players now in our squad abit of momentum and belief has been formed. Maybe other guys will come on board knowing they have such high quality teammates and we can make the centenary year a truly special one. 

Quite a lot of ton fans were dubious when we signed Harkins but few could argue that he ended the season as our POTY.  In addition to his silky side he' s not shy to put the boot in and dispossess players - leading to the other players naming him the teams 'hard man' in the official site's interviews.  (Not a side of him i was  aware of previously)  Hopefully he stays fit and injury free for Queens.  

Thanks for the season, jeebs, all the best for the future.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

On the contrary I think an experienced playmaker is exactly what we needed. If we get the Harkins from Dundee /  Morton and not the one from Ayr then it's a terrific signing.

Harkins absolutely bossed the first game at TFS last season; seemed to be involved in everything positive, great passer and waltzed through the midfield to score a pretty decent goal. Second game at TFS however, oh dear. A sloppy, petulant mess as the game passed him by. And lucky not to see red.   There's your dilemma.    

Genuinely excited for next season now. Players will mark Dobbie tightly, giving Harkins space to do his thing. If they manage to keep both quiet, I can only imagine how much space that leaves Dykes with. His best trait imo is running into space behind the defence, and judging by his performances of late, his finishing has improved. June 30 can’t come quick enough

27 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Harkins absolutely bossed the first game at TFS last season; seemed to be involved in everything positive, great passer and waltzed through the midfield to score a pretty decent goal. Second game at TFS however, oh dear. A sloppy, petulant mess as the game passed him by. And lucky not to see red.   There's your dilemma.    

Yeah, I get that. And Dobbie is almost certainly the best player in the League, but on occasions when it's not happening for him then he can be a passenger (though never a sloppy petulant mess!). Even then there's still the prospect of a moment of magic out of nothing. He probably had his worst game for us at Montrose last season in the Irn Bru Cup. 88 minutes of everything he tried going nowhere and we were headed out at 1-0 down. Two minutes to go and he fires one into the roof of the net from 25 yards to get us extra time and then rounds the keeper to score from an impossible angle in the 120th minute to clinch a 3-1 win.

Harkins will be the same no doubt. To have both in the same team when they click will be tremendous and possibly unstoppable for opposing teams at this level. Then again, if neither is in the mood then we potentially will have two passengers out there. It's still two magicians who can pull something out of nothing though. I'm looking forward to it. It's unlikely to be dull.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I get that. And Dobbie is almost certainly the best player in the League, but on occasions when it's not happening for him then he can be a passenger (though never a sloppy petulant mess!). Even then there's still the prospect of a moment of magic out of nothing. He probably had his worst game for us at Montrose last season in the Irn Bru Cup. 88 minutes of everything he tried going nowhere and we were headed out at 1-0 down. Two minutes to go and he fires one into the roof of the net from 25 yards to get us extra time and then rounds the keeper to score from an impossible angle in the 120th minute to clinch a 3-1 win.

Harkins will be the same no doubt. To have both in the same team when they click will be tremendous and possibly unstoppable for opposing teams at this level. Then again, if neither is in the mood then we potentially will have two passengers out there. It's still two magicians who can pull something out of nothing though. I'm looking forward to it. It's unlikely to be dull.

Look after Jeebsie Skyline - he's a beautiful man

1 hour ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Couldn’t believe it took him so long to even get a yellow in that game. Booted anyone that came near him every time :lol: 

7 hours ago, football maniac said:

Harkins will stop us playing the long ball game as he demands the ball into feet at all times 

I think you'll find that Jim Duffy successfully stamped a long ball game all over a team with Harkins in it just last season. If that's the way your manager wants to play then neither Harkins nor anyone else will have much influence on the decision.

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find that Jim Duffy successfully stamped a long ball game all over a team with Harkins in it just last season. If that's the way your manager wants to play then neither Harkins or nor anyone else will have much influence on the decision.

Quite agree,  Dobbie prefers the ball to his feet,  as did Stirling when he was here,  as did Thomas,  it didn't stop the hoofball mentality we employed ad-nauseum. 

To be fair I suppose we don't,  or didn't,   have players in defence and central midfield calm enough with the ball at their feet to play silky football out from the back. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs