The Queen of the South thread

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

So our back four looks like it'll be the same as this season's, minus our strongest defender. It's gonna be another long one ain't it?

Hopefully, Brownlie will be 3rd choice and Naysmith will bring another centre half to start beside Fordyce. I had hoped for a new right back too but with Marshall needing replaced thats probably less likely.

Hopefully, Brownlie will be 3rd choice and Naysmith will bring another centre half to start beside Fordyce. I had hoped for a new right back too but with Marshall needing replaced thats probably less likely.

I’d agree with that, but Brownlie is unlikely to have signed up to be a backup after being a fairly regular starter for what 2 seasons? Maybe longer.

I’d think Fordyce at RB with a new CB partnering Brownlie is more likely.

If Martin is over his injuries then goalkeeper is sorted. Dykes, Dobbie and presumably Fergusson is a decent start striker-wise. The defence needs a bit of fine tuning. It’s the midfield that needs the biggest overhaul. Who we bring in for those positions will be the key to our ambitions next season.

Guest Flash

Brownlie has been part of defences that have conceded 247 league goals in the last 4 seasons. So if he isn’t part of the problem, goodness knows how many it would have been had it not been for him.

On 4/27/2018 at 19:50, 19QOS19 said:

Rumours I've heard so far are Bob Harris, Kevin Holt, Gavin Reilly and Peter Weatherson. Not sure how accurate these are though.

Aidan Smith on a Five Year deal IMO

I’d agree with that, but Brownlie is unlikely to have signed up to be a backup after being a fairly regular starter for what 2 seasons? Maybe longer.

If Martin is over his injuries then goalkeeper is sorted. Dykes, Dobbie and presumably Fergusson is a decent start striker-wise. The defence needs a bit of fine tuning. It’s the midfield that needs the biggest overhaul. Who we bring in for those positions will be the key to our ambitions next season.
You could be right about Brownlie. There's a player in their but I'm not convinced he's improving enough to be good enough to be first choice.

I hope you're wrong about Fordyce, he's wasted at right back.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Please no, not Fordyce at right back.

Please no, not Fordyce at right back.

No really what I want either just speculating. Fordyce is fine at RB though, not great going forward but defensively sound. Whilst attacking full backs are exciting to watch I think after this season we need to prioritise defenders who can defend.

Marshall could do both which is why he will be a big miss. Praise for Naysmith is usually in short supply, but he is one player who has undoubtedly improved under his tutelage. Finally adding a more consistent end product to his attacking play. It’s a shame someone else is going to benefit from it, that’s football though.

I would agree that Marshall has improved under GN. I must admit when you see Falkirk's LB Gallacher being courted by some big clubs and eventually moving it begs the question why there hasn't been more reported interest in Jordan. I saw Gallacher a number of times not just against Queens and he looked very average and to me wasn't a patch on Marshall.

I am surprised that we have renewed terms with Mercer although I accept it wouldn't have looked good to free him if yesterday's injury proves to be a bad one.

No surprises in the other frees/ retains. It will be interesting to see if Bell and Murray can come through next season. Fergusson certainly looks the part but would need a fair bit of convincing based on what I've seen of him.

...it begs the question why there hasn't been more reported interest in Jordan.

IMO it's because he's completely over-rated. As P_C said above, he's improved this season and for me he's been our best defender but I'd say it's down to his consistency rather than his quality. Some would argue those are one in the same if course.

He's not a patch on Holt or Harris so I'm maybe doing him a disservice by comparing him. He's a player I'd have been happy to see stay but I can't say I was fussed when I heard. I was more concerned we had retained the other 2.

At this stage, I'll be astounded if he gets a regular game at a club any higher than ourselves. But I do wish him well :)

IMO it's because he's completely over-rated. As P_C said above, he's improved this season and for me he's been our best defender but I'd say it's down to his consistency rather than his quality. Some would argue those are one in the same if course.

He's not a patch on Holt or Harris so I'm maybe doing him a disservice by comparing him. He's a player I'd have been happy to see stay but I can't say I was fussed when I heard. I was more concerned we had retained the other 2.

At this stage, I'll be astounded if he gets a regular game at a club any higher than ourselves. But I do wish him well [emoji4]

I wouldn't knock consistency as a strength. There aren't many full backs right or left sided who are big game changers. It is very difficult to go on mazy runs from the full back area without leaving big gaps. I think Jordan strikes a sensible balance between attacking and defending.

Just by way of comparison Brownlie is a player that I would describe as very inconsistent - capable of some really solid performances and equally capable of some extremely careless displays and he also has an uncanny knack of conceding needless free kicks at both ends of the park.

Marshall may not scale the heights but I think he will be a huge miss unless we can get somebody like Holt back ( which has got to be an unlikely scenario).

I wouldn't knock consistency as a strength. There aren't many full backs right or left sided who are big game changers. It is very difficult to go on mazy runs from the full back area without leaving big gaps. I think Jordan strikes a sensible balance between attacking and defending.

Just by way of comparison Brownlie is a player that I would describe as very inconsistent - capable of some really solid performances and equally capable of some extremely careless displays and he also has an uncanny knack of conceding needless free kicks at both ends of the park.

Marshall may not scale the heights but I think he will be a huge miss unless we can get somebody like Holt back ( which has got to be an unlikely scenario).

Yeah it's certainly not a criticism of the guy, it's a strength as you say. It's fair to say he's been very consistant with us, particularly this season, and even with his consistency I don't rate him as highly as a lot of our support.