The Queen of the South thread

Very raw but has all the physical attributes to be a real talent with the right coaching. Tall, strong and fast. He also loves a rampaging run forward.

Down sides are his positional sense is as bad as I’ve seen, always caught wrong side. This leads to him giving away multiple avoidable fouls.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin Holt. The key difference being Holt was given a regular run and improved massively over time. Rooney has done neither.

It’s probably 50/50 whether he’ll make it at this level. I’d have been happy enough for him to stay, but equally I’m not too fussed he’s gone.

Wish him well though, he seems an honest big lad.

Edited by palmy_cammy
speeling

What can QotS fans tell us about Rooney? Good signing?

Happy he's going tbh. If Robertson is after a tall RB who can't header, mark, cross, puts his foot in at stupid times and has little to no positional sense then he's got his man.

He does make some entertaining runs forward every so often and I don't think he was ever stopped on his rampages so you'll enjoy them. I want a defender who can defend though and he really isn't very good at that. I think he may be a handy player at RM if given time. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think he may be a handy player at RM if given time. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

This. He is a good character and exciting when he has the ball at his feet. A set piece threat too but the reason he hasnt played that often (many of those 23 appearances were late sub appearances) is because his defending just isnt good enough for this level. Positionally unaware and so many silly free kicks. I would have been strongly tempted to persevere with him in a right wing role to keep him away from the back line. We tried it a couple of times but didnt stick with it. Will be interesting to see if thats where Robertson plays him or if he thinks he can coach defending into him when Naysmith and McNamara couldnt.

Sorry he is leaving but not  probably currently in our best eleven.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

What can QotS fans tell us about Rooney? Good signing?

Probably best used in strong attacking teams chasing promotion where defending is minimal. For me he would be a great player in a full time team in a part time league. I wish him well and hope he does a job for you guys although not against us. 

Cheers guys appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we are going down the route of younger, less proven players in the hope we can mould them into something successful. 

Rooney can’t defend so no big loss for us imo. Wouldn’t be surprised if he played right wing for ICT. Impressed with Beith signing though, saw him a couple of times for Stranraer and he was a class above. He’ll be a danger for clubs next season.

Here’s a thought if Inverness get into the play offs and somehow get promoted. Shaun Rooney is a Scottish Premiership player!

Again not fussed with the departure hopefully we can sign a proper defender to replace him.

3 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Probably best used in strong attacking teams chasing promotion where defending is minimal. For me he would be a great player in a full time team in a part time league. I wish him well and hope he does a job for you guys although not against us. 

He was with us in that exact circumstance and he still got cought out defensively. 

??

Was meant for the ICT fan. They signed attacking midfielder Angus Beith from Hearts on a pre-contract. He scored eight goals in 14 games when on-loan for Stranraer this season before he picked up a hip injury.

Terrible news Rooney's leaving. What we lack in the team is powerful runners and Rooney certainly has that in spades. I don't think we played him in the right position. Good luck to him and I hope Scott Mercer now steps up to the plate next season.

Terrible news Rooney's leaving. What we lack in the team is powerful runners and Rooney certainly has that in spades. I don't think we played him in the right position. Good luck to him and I hope Scott Mercer now steps up to the plate next season.

A defender that can't defend leaving isn't really terrible news. What we lack in the team is players who can defend crosses, something Rooney was pretty poor at. The odd cracking run forward isn't enough to justify a start IMO. He seemed a nice guy so wish him well but happy he won't be in our backline next season.

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

A defender that can't defend leaving isn't really terrible news. What we lack in the team is players who can defend crosses, something Rooney was pretty poor at. The odd cracking run forward isn't enough to justify a start IMO. He seemed a nice guy so wish him well but happy he won't be in our backline next season.

That's what I meant by I thought he was in the wrong position. I'd would have liked his running power in midfield (eg replacing Rankin)

Just hope that it has not cost Queens a lot of money to pay JT off .Suppose it was a gamble to try and win the case would have thought Queens had a good chance of winning  but just could not take the risk  of losing .

1 hour ago, weeredbook said:

As I thought .He knew too much .I assume he agreed to a gagging order .