The Queen of the South thread

17 minutes ago, the tactician said:

crowds arent going to get any better while the board are still there, take my hats off to the SLO guys who try there hardest to get people to the games but the club is  a laughing stock in dumfries these days. 

I`m not sure I agree with that. Fans tend to come if the team is doing well. That being the case "issues" with the BOD are generally quickly disregarded IMHO. The issues become a big deal when results are poor. It`s the nature of things. Crowds are down because the product on the pitch is poor with 4 home wins in the league this season (one of those against a FT team) plus some pretty dire stuff in cup games too. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I`m not sure I agree with that. Fans tend to come if the team is doing well. That being the case "issues" with the BOD are generally quickly disregarded IMHO. The issues become a big deal when results are poor. It`s the nature of things.

Yes, I see it the same way.

We're pretty poor and going nowhere and gates have therefore suffered.  If performances were different, I don't think there would be nearly as much disquiet about the chairman or JT situation, or whatever.

The bit I do think is alarming however, is how the sort of figure we all thought represented a reliable core support, has dwindled.  That strikes me as difficult to reverse.

It's a process that's been underway for a while, but it's now very apparent.  Until arguably last night, we still  had something to play for, but crowds have been lousy, far worse than in plenty previous seasons where nothing was left, much earlier.

With a possible Full time league next year relegation is a serious possibility the way we are going,although the fact we have Dobbie will probably keep us safe.Do you trust Naysmith to build a better team this season round?

Personally going into Dobbies last season(possibly) I'd like to see a change.Im not against Naysmith but Let's give someone else a shot to build a team around Dobs we may never see another Stephen Dobbie again.

With a possible Full time league next year relegation is a serious possibility the way we are going,although the fact we have Dobbie will probably keep us safe.Do you trust Naysmith to build a better team this season round?
Personally going into Dobbies last season(possibly) I'd like to see a change.Im not against Naysmith but Let's give someone else a shot to build a team around Dobs we may never see another Stephen Dobbie again.

Yes!!

4 hours ago, the tactician said:

crowds arent going to get any better while the board are still there, take my hats off to the SLO guys who try there hardest to get people to the games but the club is  a laughing stock in dumfries these days. 

If the team is playing decent football with a bit of urgency and desire,  and the coaching staff are using the squad to the best of their ability and with a bit of positivity I don't really think the fans care who is on the Board.  The main reason for fans drifting away is the product on the park,  simple as that I think. Opposition teams don't need to work too hard to put us under pressure, they often look more determined,  fitter and organised than us and do the basics better. Simple things like throw-ins seem to cause us problems.  I think we gave away possession at  every one we had in the first half last night and until Rooney came on later on there was no variation in their delivery.  It's probably an accumulation of a lot of little things that make the overall product hard to watch at times.  The Manager needs to send the players out with a positive attitude in every game because I think the negativity in our play stems from him. No fan realistically expects us to win every game but they should be entitled to expect the team to go into every game with the attitude that we will. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Re-wording

Here are the home League match attendances for this season Highest to Lowest:

Current Average: 1467

2 hours ago, NOTS said:

I noticed Hartley out on the touchline for the entire match and Naysmith & Anderson chatting just out from the technical area.

I didn't, perhaps because I don't believe that it's significant.

Naysmith has however, not been a successful Queens manager thus far.

It is extremely difficult to identify the characteristics that make a great Manager especially when appointing someone in the very early stages of their managerial career or if it's their first appointment.

When we talk about successful Managers that well worn phrase springs to mind ...........he's got "it" or he's not got "it".

It is difficult to define exactly what "it" is but whatever "it" is - GN doesn't appear to have "it".

2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It is extremely difficult to identify the characteristics that make a great Manager especially when appointing someone in the very early stages of their managerial career or if it's their first appointment.

When we talk about successful Managers that well worn phrase springs to mind ...........he's got "it" or he's not got "it".

It is difficult to define exactly what "it" is but whatever "it" is - GN doesn't appear to have "it".

The X factor. Hopefully the ex factor.

For me the entire season can be summed up by our keeper situation. A fit but difficult to manage Robinson replaced by an injured (?injury prone) Martin, now being covered by an inexperienced Leighfield. The keeper who wasn’t good enough for us now heading to the playoffs with Dunfermline.

13 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

For me the entire season can be summed up by our keeper situation. A fit but difficult to manage Robinson replaced by an injured (?injury prone) Martin, now being covered by an inexperienced Leighfield. The keeper who wasn’t good enough for us now heading to the playoffs with Dunfermline.

9 clean sheets in 15 games aswell. 

I don't understand the negativity towards Leighfield by some fans.  He's an adequate enough keeper for this level of football.  Yes he's made mistakes,  so has Martin and so did Robinson when he was here.  Leighfield has actually pulled off a few remarkable saves in the last three or four games which prevented even more goals against us.  Hypothetical I know,  but would we be any points better off if Robinson was still with us? The problem is what's playing in front of him. 

Hypothetical I know,  but would we be any points better off if Robinson was still with us? The problem is what's playing in front of him. 

My thinking on it. I don't think we'd be any worse off either though. We can't defend crosses and I know the goalkeeper has to take his fair share of that responsibility but recently I can't recall our GK getting the blame. Most of them will have been from outside the 6 yard box.

Our defence has been very poor this season but similarly to what's in front of the GK, our defence don't have the best midfield in front of them either.

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don't understand the negativity towards Leighfield by some fans.  He's an adequate enough keeper for this level of football.  Yes he's made mistakes,  so has Martin and so did Robinson when he was here.  Leighfield has actually pulled off a few remarkable saves in the last three or four games which prevented even more goals against us.  Hypothetical I know,  but would we be any points better off if Robinson was still with us? The problem is what's playing in front of him. 

Whilst I agree that our defending is shambolic, if you are saying Leighfield is keeping the scores down that means he is making saves that no other keeper in the division could make which more than compensate for his mistakes. For example, against Livi he made one decent save and made at least one goal causing mistake. So the net effect was nil. 

Leighfield has started 11 games and conceded 22 goals, which is an average of 2 per game. Not all of them his fault, of course, but if he is adequate for this level, that means the defence must be shockingly bad and way, way below this level. Whilst he might not be the cause of the problem, he is part of it.

Imo if Leighfield had been signed from somebody else, like Antell was, he would be getting more scrutiny. Because he is “one of our own” he benefits from a lack of criticism, in the same way that Atkinson the Annan benchwarmer did. Not saying he should be crucified, but neither should his mistakes be glossed over and a myth developed in the same way that one developed around Atkinson. And, btw, it isn’t his fault he is having to play far more games than he should at this point in his career.

How does me saying that Leighfield has made some great saves equate to other keepers not being good enough to make such saves,  that's a completely hytpothetical assumption. He has prevented goals with such saves so has obviously kept the score down. It's not really a case of the good saves cancelling out the goals conceded,  some his fault,  but those saves preventing even more being conceded.   

I think without doubt we'd have more points this season with Robinson in goals than with the combination of half-fit Martin and Leighfield. The latter is just a youngster so deserves some slack but in the games I've seen him he's been responsible for about a goal a game which is a lot to make up (that is before you even begin to factor in the shaky defence in front of him).

Edited by TeeMan

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

How does me saying that Leighfield has made some great saves equate to other keepers not being good enough to make such saves,  that's a completely hytpothetical assumption. He has prevented goals with such saves so has obviously kept the score down. It's not really a case of the good saves cancelling out the goals conceded,  some his fault,  but those saves preventing even more being conceded.   

Because if he is conceding goals that a better keeper wouldn’t, he needs to more than make up for them by saving ones that other keepers wouldn’t in order to become average. 

He may be preventing even more from being conceded, but if he has contributed to the original total, then that doesn’t mean he is keeping the score down. He would need to make 2 saves that an average keeper wouldn’t make in order to compensate for every goal causing mistake in order to be keeping the score down. If we follow your logic, a keeper who made 10 goal causing mistakes in a game and had one outstanding save could be regarded as keeping the score down because without that save he would have conceded 11 instead of 10.