The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
13 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

4 points off the play-offs, 5 games to go, isn’t it exciting? Equally, we could finish 8th.....

Over the last 5 games, we have conceded more goals than Brechin. So, aye, very exciting.

I'd take any money for Dykes and use it to persuade Thomson back next season,Thought he was really good today

We do have a couple of good players in there and I'd say we have slightly underperformed this season.Rankin and Mercer have to go and Brownlie was poor today aswell he just hoofs it anywhere,but he'll get kept on,Is Todd out of contract this summer he looks decent? Thomas has just signed a 3 year contract am sure but doubt he'll be in the plans

Next season id be looking at (tired after today so probaly forgot people :lol: )

Martin/Leighfield

NEW Fordyce Brownlie Marshall(Hopefully can see him going though)

NEW Thomson Jacobs NEW

Dobbie NEW

I suppose we should be nowhere near the playoffs with the crowds we get which leads to the small  budget Naysmith has 

Look at Dunfermline over 4000 at the game today we could only dream of crowds like that. .

Our small crowds are getting worse we will be lucky to get 1000 home fans.

Will a change of manager make a difference look at Killie they were like us  going nowhere with poor crowds but got the right man in charge look at them now  . 

I'd take any money for Dykes and use it to persuade Thomson back next season,Thought he was really good today
We do have a couple of good players in there and I'd say we have slightly underperformed this season.Rankin and Mercer have to go and Brownlie was poor today aswell he just hoofs it anywhere,but he'll get kept on,Is Todd out of contract this summer he looks decent? Thomas has just signed a 3 year contract am sure but doubt he'll be in the plans
Next season id be looking at (tired after today so probaly forgot people :lol: )
Martin/Leighfield
NEW Fordyce Brownlie Marshall(Hopefully can see him going though)
NEW Thomson Jacobs NEW
Dobbie NEW

New centre half beside fordyce also, we’ve not been the same since Kerr left. We ship far too many goals, need to have a solid base to build from. Wouldn’t be against Todd and Thomas coming in but no sure how realistic that is.

The worrying thing is we could end up 8th after sniffing about play offs all season. Which would be poor, not going to help crowds either, but I just don’t see where our win going to come when we concede too many goals and are shite at home. Remember days when we hardly lost at Palmerston [emoji849]

13 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I suppose we should be nowhere near the playoffs with the crowds we get which leads to the small  budget Naysmith has 

Look at Dunfermline over 4000 at the game today we could only dream of crowds like that. .

Will a change of manager make a difference look at Killie they were like us  going nowhere with poor crowds but got the right man in charge look at them now  . 

If  crowds were the defining factor of teams reaching the play-offs then Livingston shouldn't be where they are now.  Yes, we probably have a smaller playing budget than anyone apart from Brechin, but there is more to getting there than budget. Using what talent you have to the best of their ability, playing players in positions and formation that gets the best from them, realising which players are not up to scratch instead of persisting with them hoping they somehow come good, coaching the players at your disposal to do the basic things correctly and building up a bit of confidence in the squad to compete with the so-called big clubs in the division. Also realising that the strengths of you best players is playing actual football rather than what is increasingly being accepted as hoofball.  Can our Manager claim that he tries to do all of the above. 

18 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Thats totally the point if the fans believe in what we are doing and are being entertained and seeing signs of hope and progress they will attend. As it is we are going nowhere with the current gaffer and there is a staleness and apathy about the place. We have not beat 1 decent team at home. Naysmiths signings have in the main been wrong. Even when hes got them right he didn't utilise them to their potential. For example Kane was constantly in and out for the majority of his spell, but near the end he finally showed what he could do but by that time he was going anyway. There is certainly far more potential for the club to get way more than around 1000 home fans especially when u consider it was for a "big game" against the future champions St Mirren. Basically Naysmith has to go. We are brutal to watch and are losing money due to fans being driven away. We cant keep relying on the hardcore, we need to get in the floaters who could become regulars, but the only way to do that is to get in a new man in charge. Hopefully someone whos philosophy is to attack and play attractive football. McIntyre or McNamara anyone?

Yeah there is evidence that even some of the hardcore are starting to not turn up which is very worrying. Sniffing around the playoffs we should be at least getting the hardcore 1400 in plus a few more. Did anyone see the away section at Dunfermline? That was not an away support that believes we’re going anywhere this season.

The board even acknowledged that the turgid home form is affecting attendances.

I don’t think Naysmith is doing a terrible job, and of course we should wait until the season is mathematically over. But I think he needs to go. Our budget is irrelevant to this argument really unless you believe he is getting the most out of the players at his disposal.

It’s probably going to be Dobbie’s last season next year. I would really like to see someone else get a shot at building a decent solid team around the Dobmeister. Naysmith has failed to do this imo.

Naysmith has a good eye fora player. For all we hear about his amazing training, we don’t really seem to see the evidence on the pitch every Saturday. He seems unable to get us organised or improve players through coaching.

I believe this team is capable of better and therefore we say thanks to GN for doing a great job keeping us up last year and signing some good players. But let’s see if someone else can come in and 1) get the defence sorted out. 2) get the presence back in midfield and put a better product in front of the fans at Palmerston.

There could be some difficult years of cost cutting ahead but if there is any money left in the bank let’s use it to bring in a new man with the mandate of building a decent promotion push around the one amazing asset we have; Dobbie

30 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Thats totally the point if the fans believe in what we are doing and are being entertained and seeing signs of hope and progress they will attend. As it is we are going nowhere with the current gaffer and there is a staleness and apathy about the place. We have not beat 1 decent team at home. Naysmiths signings have in the main been wrong. Even when hes got them right he didn't utilise them to their potential. For example Kane was constantly in and out for the majority of his spell, but near the end he finally showed what he could do but by that time he was going anyway. There is certainly far more potential for the club to get way more than around 1000 home fans especially when u consider it was for a "big game" against the future champions St Mirren. Basically Naysmith has to go. We are brutal to watch and are losing money due to fans being driven away. We cant keep relying on the hardcore, we need to get in the floaters who could become regulars, but the only way to do that is to get in a new man in charge. Hopefully someone whos philosophy is to attack and play attractive football. McIntyre or McNamara anyone?

Cannot argue with any of that .

New centre half beside fordyce also, we’ve not been the same since Kerr left.

This could be wrong as I just had a really quick look at work but I don't think it'll be far away as there was games I couldn't find the line ups, so maybe someone will clarify it, but i think its, 28 conceded in 23 games with Kerr and 20 conceded in 10 without him. Pointing out the obvious here but we're definitely worse off without him.

Guest Flash
27 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:
8 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

New centre half beside fordyce also, we’ve not been the same since Kerr left.

This could be wrong as I just had a really quick look at work but I don't think it'll be far away as there was games I couldn't find the line ups, so maybe someone will clarify it, but i think its, 28 conceded in 23 games with Kerr and 20 conceded in 10 without him. Pointing out the obvious here but we're definitely worse off without him.

You can’t say it is definitely all down to Kerr because he played the majority of his games with Martin in goal. Leighfield has conceded an average of about 2 goals per game, which is more than Martin.

We have conceded 3 goals in 9 games. Leighfield has conceded 3 goals in 5 out of 10 full games, whereas Martin conceded 3 goals in 4 out of 20 games. So Leighfield has conceded 3 goals in 50% of his games and Martin has conceded 3 goals in 20% of his.

The figures don’t necessarily prove anything, but you can’t say the difference in goals conceded is definitely down to Kerr when there is more than one variable.

We should have signed a experienced keeper on loan when Martin got injured  

We are asking a lot of Lieghfield to play so many games.

Lieghfield will be a good keeper when he plays more games but that really should be in the under 20 team.

Do Queens have a goalkeeper coach who can help Lieghfield ?

You can get away with it playing young players outfield but a keeper has  to have experience he can be the difference between you winning and losing games .

Next season is a worry, as it could well be an entirely full time league with raith and ayr possibly coming up. Add in an extra two trips to the Highlands, should county come down, and we looking at having a difficult season before we even start. If naysmith goes then he goes soon, So that a new gaffer has time to work with the current crop. But who do you bring in and do they want to come. Yes we have dobbie but he is one man we need him supported by the a much better midfield. Defence need tweaking as well. 

I am honestly at a crossroads with naysmith. I don't want to fall in line and say naysmith out, because we have kept ourselves out of danger and we are still possible for the playoffs, however slim that may be. He does talk the talk and I have actually liked most of his signings. Home form however is shocking and needs to be improved. Tactics, formations, player positions and use of players has not always made sense to me. Dwindling crowd numbers are also a huge concern. As the man In charge he has to sort this out. He really does. For me, after watching the highlights of pars game and his interview my support for him has begun to fall. I hope he can turn it around and I hope he improves our fortunes of and off the field. Major task ahead and I just hope he is up to it.