The Queen of the South thread

Fordyce gets the nod from me ahead of Brownlie. I quite like Brownlie but I'm growing tired of his weekly stupid foul. Every single week he seems to make a blatant foul in a dangerous place. Considering how terrible we are at defending set-pieces it's infuriated me even more this season that he continues to do it.

On another topic. Can someone with a better footballing brain please explain to me the benefit of hoofing the ball towards the opposition full-back from kick-off? Every. Single. Week. we do this and instantly lose possession. I can't get my head around.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Fordyce been solid for you guys?

Very much so, until his recent injury. He hasnt looked the same since he returned. I wouldnt be surprised to see him at right back on Saturday. Its not his best position but he's the best option, defensively, we have at right back

Edited by Mr X

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Very much so, until his recent injury. He hasnt looked the same since he returned. I wouldnt be surprised to see him at right back on Saturday. Its not his best position but he's the best option, defensively, we have at right back

Rooney is very prone to bombscare moments at rb but my god he is an entertaining player. When he goes on those forward runs he looks awesome. Fast, strong and purposeful. If he can work on certain glitches in his game he has incredible potential.

Rooney is very prone to bombscare moments at rb but my god he is an entertaining player. When he goes on those forward runs he looks awesome. Fast, strong and purposeful. If he can work on certain glitches in his game he has incredible potential.

This. The combination of him overlapping Thomas looked brilliant at some points on Saturday. Defensively not so much [emoji22]

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

This. The combination of him overlapping Thomas looked brilliant at some points on Saturday. Defensively not so much emoji22.png

Those big galloping runs are exciting, but I don't once remember any culminating in anything other than panicky indecision.

His runs get the crowd going though. I think he should be best used if we are expected to win the possession battle. Otherwise back four of Fordyce brownlie Cameron and Marshall. 

Actually people have said mercer was doing a good job so maybe mercer fordyce brownlie and Marshall.  

Edited by Doonhamer doon south

Those big galloping runs are exciting, but I don't once remember any culminating in anything other than panicky indecision.

My word you’re demanding! The other option is to watch Mercer inch forward before slicing it out for a goal kick.

I assume both are out of contract at the end of the season. Anybody have thoughts on whether we should keep either? I think Rooney is worth it just because he does appear to have the attributes to be so exciting, maybe somebody can show him where to stand when we’re defending.

(I do actually think Mercer has been not bad the last couple of times I’ve seen him)

2 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

My word you’re demanding! The other option is to watch Mercer inch forward before slicing it out for a goal kick.

I assume both are out of contract at the end of the season. Anybody have thoughts on whether we should keep either? I think Rooney is worth it just because he does appear to have the attributes to be so exciting, maybe somebody can show him where to stand when we’re defending.

(I do actually think Mercer has been not bad the last couple of times I’ve seen him)

Both should be punted.

His runs get the crowd going though. 

I think Rooney is worth it just because he does appear to have the attributes to be so exciting, maybe somebody can show him where to stand when we’re defending.

His runs can conjure up a bit of excitement but for me I want my defenders to be able to defend. His marking is atrocious and when he wins a tackle it looks more like he got lucky than actual skill. For the height of him his ability to win headers is poor as well.

I expect one will be retained but I'd take a punt on someone else. If I had to pick, I'd go with Mercer as he's slightly better defensively.

Also think Marshall might be off this summer.

He's been pretty consistant this season but I'd be shocked if a bigger club came in for him. He's yet to get to Holt or Harris levels.

Question; if you won the Shirt Sponsorship draw, what would you put on the shirts? Personally I'd just leave it blank especially since next season is a special strip.

Or donate it to charity because I do a lot of work for charidee but don't like to talk about it mate.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

On another topic. Can someone with a better footballing brain please explain to me the benefit of hoofing the ball towards the opposition full-back from kick-off? Every. Single. Week. we do this and instantly lose possession. I can't get my head around.

Me neither.  I also can't understand our totally constant blind and aimless punt into no particular place every time we get the ball;  just seems to be a case of kick it up-field and hope it goes to a team-mate, which it hardly ever does or even can, actually.  Ditto goal-kicks - the classic goal-kick is a dead cert to be met by a defender's head and become a 50-50 ball at best.  Why not pass the ball to a defender/mid-fielder and play the ball up the park??  Yes, I know what you're thinking, but in principle it must be a good idea a lot more often than it actually happens.

Both our goals on Saturday resulted from good passing play ON THE DECK.  Considering the criticism about the surface,  even from our coaching staff I believe,  I am another punter baffled by the players (coaching staffs)  continued use of high balls punted forward and invariably lost. I think the problem is we don't have technically competent players confident enough to take possession and play out from the defence.  Even if there is an issue with balls bobbling when played on the ground it's surely easier to get it under control then than waiting for it to bounce when plummeting from the sky.  

It's the issue of not playing to our strengths. That second goal on Saturday showed we are a fantastic passing side capable of play off spot. High balls up to dykes who continually miss judges the header was frustrating. I would rather we pass ball back to keeper and pass up field to defence and midfield than just punt it and hope. 

On Saturday I saw players take the easy option of punt upfield, rather than look up and pick a pass, time and time again. And I'm sure this is the norm. It frustrating the crowd. Sounds ridiculous but do we as the crowd need to keep shouting "man on" and "time" and other stuff to try and influence the players. The message is not being heard from the management maybe 1000 people can make the message heard.

Ball on the deck and pass. 

Thinking  back at our pleasing win last time out at Dunfermline,  I'm sure four of the five goals came from good passing play on the deck, slick,  forward passing,  getting the ball to Stirling and especially Dobbie to take players on. Granted Dobbie was on a completely different level that day,  and Pars were poor.  IIRC correctly only the build up to the penalty came from Dykes winning a high ball punted forward.  If my memory is correct that proves we have 80% scoring success rate when we play passing football,(in that game at least) 

4 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

It's the issue of not playing to our strengths. That second goal on Saturday showed we are a fantastic passing side capable of play off spot. High balls up to dykes who continually miss judges the header was frustrating. I would rather we pass ball back to keeper and pass up field to defence and midfield than just punt it and hope. 

On Saturday I saw players take the easy option of punt upfield, rather than look up and pick a pass, time and time again. And I'm sure this is the norm. It frustrating the crowd. Sounds ridiculous but do we as the crowd need to keep shouting "man on" and "time" and other stuff to try and influence the players. The message is not being heard from the management maybe 1000 people can make the message heard.

Ball on the deck and pass. 

The second goal on Saturday like our equliser the week before were very good goals, football wise. More of that please.