The Queen of the South thread

League 1 & League 2 Clubs in England have signed a deal enabling them to broadcast a live stream not only to foreign viewers but UK based viewers also.

Is this a good or bad thing? Overall I’m not sure.

Would such a service be beneficial to us if the Scottish league does the same? It’ll probably continue to affect away attendances (I think the foreign streams already do,) but would a few of the fans who can’t be areas to turn up shell out a few quid to watch in their living room?

37 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

League 1 & League 2 Clubs in England have signed a deal enabling them to broadcast a live stream not only to foreign viewers but UK based viewers also.

Would such a service be beneficial to us if the Scottish league does the same? It’ll probably continue to affect away attendances (I think the foreign streams already do,) but would a few of the fans who can’t be areas to turn up shell out a few quid to watch in their living room?

I would subscribe to such a service. What' the price to subscribe to argue 1 + 2 clubs per season, do you know?

57 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I would subscribe to such a service. What' the price to subscribe to argue 1 + 2 clubs per season, do you know?

Whatever it is, it's not going to be especially comparable. We're talking about far smaller fan bases and generally smaller travelling distances with no capacity issues either.

Financially such an arrangement will never be beneficial to us as a club unless possibly it's a "home club gets all the income" arrangement. If we could potentially stream our home games to visiting St Mirren, Falkirk, Dundee United, etc fans then it may have some mileage, though even then the investment in it would be questionable and there's no guarantee you could actually get volunteers to produce it.

If the away team can sell the games to their own fans (which is what happens at the moment with foreign streams) then it would be hugely counter productive to us. All it will encourage is less visiting supporters from bigger sides who can afford to send their own tv teams down the road. There's never in a month of Sundays enough of a market for us to make money doing it in the other direction without the whole thing being underwritten by volunteers and sponsors.

Unless as SD says we got all the money from our home games then I reckon it would kill us. We struggle with crowd numbers as it is. Can you imagine what the numbers would be on a wet December night if folk could instead watch in the comfort of their own home?

A PPV service at £16 a go would be the only way I'd be remotely content with such a thing.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Unless as SD says we got all the money from our home games then I reckon it would kill us. We struggle with crowd numbers as it is. Can you imagine what the numbers would be on a wet December night if folk could instead watch in the comfort of their own home?

A PPV service at £16 a go would be the only way I'd be remotely content with such a thing.

I would bite your hand off for that. I coming up for the Livingston game in March it' costing me just shy 200 quid for overnight and the game so to still put money into the club and see the games would be fantastic for me. This sort of thing has come up a few times and I just showing my support to such a venture. A lot of work and effort would go into such a service and I for one would appreciate it greatly. 

I would still come up for games as well because you can't beat being at the game. 

22 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I would bite your hand off for that. I coming up for the Livingston game in March it' costing me just shy 200 quid for overnight and the game so to still put money into the club and see the games would be fantastic for me. This sort of thing has come up a few times and I just showing my support to such a venture. A lot of work and effort would go into such a service and I for one would appreciate it greatly. 

I would still come up for games as well because you can't beat being at the game. 

Even for folk like me who live in the. Central Belt getting to home games is often tricky. I’d happily pay £16 to watch home games live on TV.  If, of course, it led to a decrease in income for Queens it would have to be discarded as an idea. Would it though? If Palmy was a short drive or walk away i’d take it every time over TV coverage but there must be folk out there who don’t want to suffer actual weather who might buy in...

Not for me. If it was to go ahead then I'd worry about our attendance for home games. Everything's online or made easy for people to be lazy these days, whatever happened to the days where you'd meet your pals for a beer and actually go watch the game, whatever the weather is. Too many people would rather sit at home and watch Soccer Saturday than go to an actual game of football. Sad times.

I remember one day I cycled from Moniave to watch Queens play and I fell off my bike over half way so I abandoned my bike and walked the rest with cuts on my knees and arms with ripped jeans. I'd do that all over again rather than watch the Queens game at home.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

There will be consequences for losing over 100k. You cant just lose that amount of money and accept it! We may not be in real difficulty yet, but if we keep losing money like this we soon will be. The question is what can we do to attract fans? What can we do to make money? I thinking letting kids in free when with a paying adult would be a step forward. Could hand tickets out to schools with the hope the kid pesters the parent into going. They might get the bug and be a supporter for life! Who knows. We could raise the price for matches abit. I dont think it would make much difference to crowd. They either want to go or dont. To me the club feels abit of a Glasgow inbred! The players are mostly based in the central belt and mostly train in the central belt. Wouldn't it be great if our players and training were based here and the players could engage with fans and try and entice more to come. If not they could travel from places like Carlisle, Newcastle and Glasgow to Dumfries because afterall we are a Dumfries club! People make the effort to move to Inverness so know reason they shouldn't move to the Inverness of the south. Most will disagree with this no doubt. Im hoping the King George pitch is redone and we can be based their. I also feel we could have more fundraising events ie auctions, raffles for things like signed shirts and maybe something exciting like the chance for fans to play alongside former players but only the highest bidder gets the places. 

35 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Even for folk like me who live in the. Central Belt getting to home games is often tricky. I’d happily pay £16 to watch home games live on TV.  If, of course, it led to a decrease in income for Queens it would have to be discarded as an idea. Would it though? If Palmy was a short drive or walk away i’d take it every time over TV coverage but there must be folk out there who don’t want to suffer actual weather who might buy in...

The crucial thing here as I suggested above is WHO is selling the match. It's not really about Queens fans per se. Personally I don't think there would be sufficient market in Queens fans out of reach of the game prepared to pay sufficient cash to watch it online to make producing it commercially worthwhile given the infrastructure, equipment and staffing costs involved (unless as I said a sponsor meets all that or it's done by volunteers). However, if it can be done then that's fine.

The real issue is the away support. If away teams can send their own media team to produce live coverage and sell it back to their own fans, keeping all the income, then it kills the home club gate receipts with no compensating income benefit elsewhere. It's why I really don't like the service available now to clubs to do so with overseas broadcasts. I accept the point is meant to be that such overseas fans wouldn't be coming to the game anyway so there's no loss but once the broadcast facility is in place we all know there are ways around it. There are one or two people on here who clearly have some involvement in their club's productions who make winky smiley posts about proxy servers encouraging UK based people to buy from them instead of coming to the game, which is fine if you are in Wales but not if it makes the difference between one fan coming from Falkirk or Dunfermline or wherever to pay to watch the game or not doing.  So if we could produce the thing and sell it to the away fans not travelling then, other than the potential discouragement of atmosphere by loss of away fans, then it could work. If it's the away team getting the income then all we're going to do is lose by it.

13 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I thinking letting kids in free when with a paying adult would be a step forward. Could hand tickets out to schools with the hope the kid pesters the parent into going. They might get the bug and be a supporter for life! Who knows.

We already give bundles of tickets to schools every week during term time with exactly that offer. We've been doing it for years. Take of them is very low with something like 20 odd at best attending from every couple of hundred given out.

Surely you might balance it out by getting money at away games where currently you get nothing? Eg you lose some away fans coming to your games, but on the other hand you'll then get money at away games where currently you get absolutely nothing. If anything Qots could, and should benefit more than the other teams in the league. You could also sell advertising for during the stream, as well as having the very real positive aspect that fans who are too far away can watch there team. 

It might even have the positive effect of clubs trying to improve the match day experience to keep fans  coming to the stadium, a novel concept that could really do with catching on. 

48 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Surely you might balance it out by getting money at away games where currently you get nothing? Eg you lose some away fans coming to your games, but on the other hand you'll then get money at away games where currently you get absolutely nothing. If anything Qots could, and should benefit more than the other teams in the league. You could also sell advertising for during the stream, as well as having the very real positive aspect that fans who are too far away can watch there team.

Well no because:
1 - As a club carrying a far smaller support both in terms of attendees and far travelled fans, than the Falkirk's, Dunfermline's and St Mirren's of the world, we'll inevitably have a smaller market in the other direction, and
2 - That presupposes it's sufficiently commercially worthwhile for us to have the equipment and facility to do it in the first place, something I consider pretty unlikely.

Being in a relative economic backwater we're already dependent on a small pool of advertisers for trackside and programme advertising.  Selling more of the online streaming advert, whilst potentially feasible given the novelty, is most likely just going to see advertisers moving funds from one place to another rather than new advertisers coming on board. It's not like we're beating away people who can't find places to advertise with us just now.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no because:
1 - As a club carrying a far smaller support both in terms of attendees and far travelled fans, than the Falkirk's, Dunfermline's and St Mirren's of the world, we'll inevitably have a smaller market in the other direction, and
2 - That presupposes it's sufficiently commercially worthwhile for us to have the equipment and facility to do it in the first place, something I consider pretty unlikely.

Being in a relative economic backwater we're already dependent on a small pool of advertisers for trackside and programme advertising.  Selling more of the online streaming advert, whilst potentially feasible given the novelty, is most likely just going to see advertisers moving funds from one place to another rather than new advertisers coming on board. It's not like we're beating away people who can't find places to advertise with us just now.

Surely seing as a good proportion of your fans come from the South of Scotland you've got the largest number of traveled fans in this league? 

Where is this being reported? They agreed last year that they could do this for midweek games (i.e. still respecting the UEFA Blackout periods) when they announced the new Sky deal. Are they now saying they are allowing Saturday 3pm games to be streamed? If they do then the games a bogey - it won't be long before other, bigger clubs demand the same.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Surely seing as a good proportion of your fans come from the South of Scotland you've got the largest number of traveled fans in this league? 

I'm talking about the number of fans from a low population area of the country who have moved away to live in England or Central Belt Scotland and beyond, not the distance travelled by those who actually regularly attend games. In other words, the market for actually paying for streaming of games they can't get to. It's inevitably much smaller than for places like Falkirk and Dunfermline which are population centres of two or three times the size.

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm talking about the number of fans from a low population area of the country who have moved away to live in England or Central Belt Scotland and beyond, not the distance travelled by those who actually regularly attend games. In other words, the market for actually paying for streaming of games they can't get to. It's inevitably much smaller than for places like Falkirk and Dunfermline which are population centres of two or three times the size.

I get what you mean but I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make possibly.

Out of all the teams in this league I'd think you would probably receive amongst the lowest numbers of away supporters, as such if the away team were to produce it and receive the money (which would be entirely fair if it's the away team filming and streaming it) you would have the lowest in the league to lose with regards to away supporters. Whereas for example teams in the central belt who get there attendances bumped up by away fans would lose more in that sense. 

Likewise for away games QoTS have one of the lowest travelling supports, with a good proportion of those who live in Dumfries not attending games. If you were to start streaming the games and those fans were to start buying into it you would now be receiving money on a game day where previously you would receive nothing.

This is all on the provision that streaming would be view able to those in the UK, in it's current format it maybe is less feasible unless you have a generous Expat fan, I'm sure ParsTv was helped by fans living abroad paying for some camera equipment with the cameraman and commentator being volunteers, I think.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I get what you mean but I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make possibly.

Out of all the teams in this league I'd think you would probably receive amongst the lowest numbers of away supporters, as such if the away team were to produce it and receive the money (which would be entirely fair if it's the away team filming and streaming it) you would have the lowest in the league to lose with regards to away supporters. Whereas for example teams in the central belt who get there attendances bumped up by away fans would lose more in that sense. 

Likewise for away games QoTS have one of the lowest travelling supports, with a good proportion of those who live in Dumfries not attending games. If you were to start streaming the games and those fans were to start buying into it you would now be receiving money on a game day where previously you would receive nothing.

I think you are missing the point to be honest, or just disagreeing with it, not sure which? My point is we would be a net loser insofar as the number of away fans using it as an excuse not to go to Palmerston would cost us more than the number of our own fans we could sell such a service to at our away games. 

I may of course be wrong but thats the point I am trying to make. Whether we lose less out of it than a central based low support side isnt the point. Generally the winners of such a process will be the bigger supported sides and the losers the lower supported ones. I dont think there is much doubt which side of that coin we are on unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

You'd help pay towards smaller crowds?

Before any of this comes to be reality I'm sure the club will look into the pro and cons of such a venture like SD has said. Also like Louis said if it is deemed that crowd numbers would fall even further and for no financial gain then of course I wouldn't. But we don't know either way yet. If crowd numbers stay the same or grow (due to a better product on the pitch etc) and the club can secure another revenue source as well as providing a service to expat fans like myself then absolutely. The discussion at least is worthwhile for the club to gauge opinion and engage with fans.