The Queen of the South thread

13 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

A wee bit of talk here about 2012-13 team.
So, if we could pick a starting 11 from that team and this season's what would yours be?
And for arguments sake, let's go by the players from 2012-13 on how they're doing now i:e I'd have Gav over Clark on the basis of this season.

To be fair few of the 12-13 team are now playing as well as they were then.

Holt and Reilly are for me the only ones playing at a better level now than they were then.

I doubt there are many of that team many people would take back right now. Reilly for sure. Holt probably, though Marshall is good enough for that not to be a massive upgrade. Durnan & Clark maybe? Of the rest, ignoring Lyle and Carmichael who are still here, Mitchell passed away, Young, McKenna and Burns retired to non leagues, Gibson is playing at Peterhead. McGuffie emigrated. Higgins is playing a level down (& out for the rest of the season). 

If you want to judge the double winners of 12/13 by how they played then it would be a different story. Dobbie for sure would get in. Fordyce possibly. Maybe Jacobs. Not sure many more would

To be fair few of the 12-13 team are now playing as well as they were then.
Holt and Reilly are for me the only ones playing at a better level now than they were then.
I doubt there are many of that team many people would take back right now. Reilly for sure. Holt probably, though Marshall is good enough for that not to be a massive upgrade. Durnan & Clark maybe? Of the rest, ignoring Lyle and Carmichael who are still here, Mitchell passed away, Young, McKenna and Burns retired to non leagues, Gibson is playing at Peterhead. McGuffie emigrated. Higgins is playing a level down (& out for the rest of the season). 
If you want to judge the double winners of 12/13 by how they played then it would be a different story. Dobbie for sure would get in. Fordyce possibly. Maybe Jacobs. Not sure many more would

I was bored on my long bus journey and didn't really think my question through. I should have asked what players have we got now that would get into the 2012-13 team.
And I agree that there's only 2 or 3 from the current squad that would get into that team.

According to the OS Lyle has not yet recovered from his 'knock'.

Over the years I have generally thought a 'knock' to be  not a major injury and on average take a couple of weeks - 3 at very most -  to overcome.

Seems Del has had this one for some weeks now and is not yet fit.  There has been no mention of  a more serious injury by the Club.

Is this yet another example of Naysmith 'freezing out' a high profile player- in this case a true Club legend -  who he is not happy with or has had words with ?

9 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Dobbie !! Can’t think of another

As SD says Fordyce and Jacobs.

There's not much in it but if I was building a squad of two starters and a reserve I'd probably plump for Durnan and Higgins with Fordyce as backup.  Dowie at his best was probably better than all three, but when he was off it he was worse than all of them, whereas the others are all very steady.

Jacobs and McKenna are basically the same player except Jacobs picks up less needless cards.  McKenna must be one of our most suspended players.  Did he not start a season with a 2 or 3 game suspension carried over from all the cards he had accumulated?  Ridiculous.

According to the OS Lyle has not yet recovered from his 'knock'.
Over the years I have generally thought a 'knock' to be  not a major injury and on average take a couple of weeks - 3 at very most -  to overcome.
Seems Del has had this one for some weeks now and is not yet fit.  There has been no mention of  a more serious injury by the Club.
Is this yet another example of Naysmith 'freezing out' a high profile player- in this case a true Club legend -  who he is not happy with or has had words with ?

Yawn.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

To be honest apart from the season where Gus was in charge I cant remember a season where watching Queens was less enjoyable in my 18 years of supporting the club. I will still be there every week though but can see why some have been put off by Naysmiths style. The 2003/04 season where we may still of been part time? actually saw us produce some of the best football Ive witnessed during my time supporting the club. Paton, O'Neill, Lyle, O' Connor on song were a joy to watch and Bowey provided the legs for doing the donkey work

2 minutes ago, football maniac said:

To be honest apart from the season where Gus was in charge I cant remember a season where watching Queens was less enjoyable in my 18 years of supporting the club. I will still be there every week though but can see why some have been put off by Naysmiths style. The 2003/04 season where we may still of been part time? actually saw us produce some of the best football Ive witnessed during my time supporting the club. Paton, O'Neill, Lyle, O' Connor on song were a joy to watch and Bowey provided the legs for doing the donkey work

Last Year

The Year Before that

That half season where everyone chucked it under Brannigan

Off the top of my head.

28 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Last Year

The Year Before that

That half season where everyone chucked it under Brannigan

Off the top of my head.

The last couple of seasons at least featured really good starts.

The Brannigan one really was a shocker on the run in though.

In truth, this dull one is pretty much a continuation of things recently.  Without Dobbie, we'd be looking at going down.  

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The last couple of seasons at least featured really good starts.

The Brannigan one really was a shocker on the run in though.

In truth, this dull one is pretty much a continuation of things recently.  Without Dobbie, we'd be looking at going down.  

They also feature prolonged periods without winning whilst this has largely not peaked particular highly but hasn’t had nearly the same troughs. My expectations weren’t high this year whilst the previous 2 did. 

I've struggled this season and I agree with an earlier poster that it's just below the Gus season. My issue with this one was highlighted today. We're capable of good performances but are so inconsistent. I really don't know what to expect each time I go.

If ICT and Falkirk hadn't had such (unexpected) shockingly bad seasons then we'd likely not be near the play-offs so I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Oh and that Dobbie would still be banging them in, worldies left right and centre. Then I'd be more than happy. So what if some of the football on show isn't great, but neither is alot of teams who are bigger and better than us. Fs we're a wee club from Dumfries who have done considerably well the past 10+ years. Fans need to get over themselfs.

If someone said to me at the start of the season that we would be above ICT and Falkirk and only a point off the play offs after 24 games then I'd have chewed their hand off.
Some of our fans expect far too much.

If someone had said "you'll be above Falkirk and ICT" then I'd assume we'd be sitting 2nd. That's my point. We're not doing terribly but we're only as high up because of those two teams' poor season. Had they done what was expected of them we'd be sitting 8th just now. I'm not complaining, I'm just not going to pretend this season has been a fantastic achievement up until this point either though.

If someone had said "you'll be above Falkirk and ICT" then I'd assume we'd be sitting 2nd. That's my point. We're not doing terribly but we're only as high up because of those two teams' poor season. Had they done what was expected of them we'd be sitting 8th just now. I'm not complaining, I'm just not going to pretend this season has been a fantastic achievement up until this point either though.

That's the way football works. We're above them because we had a better start to the season than them. Nothing is giving on merit, we've still played the same amount of games and we're still above them. I know ICT have played 1 less and Falkirk have played 1 more up until now.
No one has said it's a fantastic achievement up until now, but at least we be still got something to play for.

No one has said it's a fantastic achievement up until now, but at least we be still got something to play for.

I think the issue for me, and judging by the crowds I don’t think I’m alone here, is that with the players we’ve got it feels like we are underachieving rather than over achieving. That’s leaves me with a fairly low level of confidence that with the current manager we can make the playoffs.

Sometimes during a game you can guess what subs or changes a manager will make. It seems obvious what’s wrong and the manager fixes it. With Naysmith more often than not it seems any changes are a surprise. Which would be great if they ever seemed to make a difference.

I know we don’t have the pace up front of Clark and Reilly anymore but I miss the incisive nature of our attacking play back then. At time we really seem bereft of ideas and just play the ball square until it gets back to the keeper.

I think the issue for me, and judging by the crowds I don’t think I’m alone here, is that with the players we’ve got it feels like we are underachieving rather than over achieving. That’s leaves me with a fairly low level of confidence that with the current manager we can make the playoffs.

Sometimes during a game you can guess what subs or changes a manager will make. It seems obvious what’s wrong and the manager fixes it. With Naysmith more often than not it seems any changes are a surprise. Which would be great if they ever seemed to make a difference.

I know we don’t have the pace up front of Clark and Reilly anymore but I miss the incisive nature of our attacking play back then. At time we really seem bereft of ideas and just play the ball square until it gets back to the keeper.

That's untrue in my opinion. We've had a number of injuries. Thomas, Thomson, Beerman, Kyle Cameron and Todorov have only just came in and before that we basically had a bench of youth players. I don't know what you expect if you think we're underachieving? To be in the play offs at this stage? We're only a point off them.
GN put Murray and Todorov on yesterday so I don't see how that change is a surprise when he clearly wanted the win.

I wasn’t referring in particular to yesterday’s game, apart from I guess a continuing lack of ideas. I didn’t get the Todorov for Rankin switch - at the time it seemed a positive one. By underachieving I mean on current form we will finish 7th at best, probably 8th. I think with the squad we have had access to this season we should be competing for 3rd or 4th.