The Queen of the South thread

I totally agree that a return to a positive passing game would be a great start but the BOD have my utmost sympathy when it comes to trying to rekindle the enthusiasm of the missing "400".

It only takes the temperature to dip a few degrees and the rain to start at 2.15 and the momentous 10 minute walk to the ground or the 5 minute car trip is too much for some.

The same ones will be the first to criticise if the club returns to PT status.

One thing the BOD need to do if they haven’t already is to try and find a way to re-connect with the people of dumfries. As when talking to some people they appears to be a lot of negativity for whatever reason.

49 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

One thing the BOD need to do if they haven’t already is to try and find a way to re-connect with the people of dumfries. As when talking to some people they appears to be a lot of negativity for whatever reason.

I asked earlier and nobody could tell me why the current Chairman and Board are not connecting with the businesses and people in D&G. For all their faults, Rae and Blount senior had an element of charisma and  seemed to hav a rapport with fans and locals for a while. 

One of the issues might be that we no longer have an experienced full-time Commercial team. JT and his ex-wife had their successes and failures but were at least tried to make things happen. Is the young lad, Dan Armstrong, still charged with heading up the club's commercial operation or does it fall to someone else? 

The key question that should be asked of the Board at the forthcoming AGM, is what is the plan for the future growth of the football club. Is there a plan to rebuild the new stand and get more revenue streams? They have done well with the Arena and KGV, is this working as well as it can or is there scope for more income? How about a Queen of the South business club where local businesses and individuals can network together? This works well elsewhere and can be a good avenue for building contacts and ultimately revenue. 

I asked earlier and nobody could tell me why the current Chairman and Board are not connecting with the businesses and people in D&G. For all their faults, Rae and Blount senior had an element of charisma and  seemed to hav a rapport with fans and locals for a while. 
One of the issues might be that we no longer have an experienced full-time Commercial team. JT and his ex-wife had their successes and failures but were at least tried to make things happen. Is the young lad, Dan Armstrong, still charged with heading up the club's commercial operation or does it fall to someone else? 
The key question that should be asked of the Board at the forthcoming AGM, is what is the plan for the future growth of the football club. Is there a plan to rebuild the new stand and get more revenue streams? They have done well with the Arena and KGV, is this working as well as it can or is there scope for more income? How about a Queen of the South business club where local businesses and individuals can network together? This works well elsewhere and can be a good avenue for building contacts and ultimately revenue. 

I have never heard a definitive reason why people I have spoken with no longer attend matches, mostly the answer is ‘not interested’ or ‘club has little ambition’ personally I have never heard direct negative comments aimed at any individual BOD member. From a personal view point it may help if the BOD laid out a 5 year plan on club ambitions and when the ground will get tidied as it’s a disgrace at the moment

I have never heard a definitive reason why people I have spoken with no longer attend matches, mostly the answer is ‘not interested’ or ‘club has little ambition’ personally I have never heard direct negative comments aimed at any individual BOD member. From a personal view point it may help if the BOD laid out a 5 year plan on club ambitions and when the ground will get tidied as it’s a disgrace at the moment

Would be interesting to see what the 5 year plan is. If there is one.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I suggest you go and watch the performances against Rangers particularly the 3-0 mauling in April - best complete team performance I have ever seen -  as well as the 2-0 in the December. prior.
You will not be able to deny the slick, pacy, incisive and attractive football on display there.
Not forgetting the play-off performance at Ibrox.
The move for the opener there - to equalise in the tie - was superb and took no more than 30 seconds,  The only time the ball was in the air was Danny's superb cross expertly headed home by Del Boy.
These were not isolated performances by the way.
I often watch these games to remind how good we were then.  A bitter-sweet experience now.
Naysmith  does not approach football that way which makes it a chore to watch - even with Dobbie.
In fact,  Naysmith's incompetence is masked by Dobbie and his goals.
Without him we would be fighting to avoid the relegation play-off spot.

Hello Nithvalley :)

6 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I suggest you go and watch the performances against Rangers particularly the 3-0 mauling in April - best complete team performance I have ever seen -  as well as the 2-0 in the December. prior.

You will not be able to deny the slick, pacy, incisive and attractive football on display there.

The move for the opener there - to equalise in the tie - was superb and took no more than 30 seconds,  The only time the ball was in the air was Danny's superb cross expertly headed home by Del Boy.

I often watch these games to remind how good we were then.  A bitter-sweet experience now.

Naysmith  does not approach football that way which makes it a chore to watch - even with Dobbie.

Well done for cherry-picking our best season in recent memory.  There's nothing wrong with aspiring to be as good as that again, but lets not pretend that was the norm.  In fact the man who was in charge for those performances was (harshly in my opinion) let go the following season, with one of the main criticisms being that his football was turgid.

It's almost as if there is a connection between the quality of players a team has, and the quality of football on show.

If we are talking about performances,I was having dreams about that Dunfermline performance for weeks after.Fast,slick passing that kept carving a (albeit poor on the day)Dunfermline side open.

ETA:Not relevant atall to anything being said,just thought I'd say

Edited by Dumfries Boy(new acc)

If we are talking about performances,I was having dreams about that Dunfermline performance for weeks after.Fast,slick passing that kept carving a (albeit poor on the day)Dunfermline side open.
ETA:Not relevant atall to anything being said,just thought I'd say

It is relevant as it shows we are capable of big performances this season. We just lack consistency and are unable to do that week in week out.

It’s a bit silly to use that season as an example. We got lucky with a few of the young players all reaching a good level at the same time, complemented with others in form such as Lyle.

We are not going to be able to put a squad like that together very often even with excellent stewardship at the club.

We were also unlucky in the sense that any normal championship season that would’ve been a title winning/challenging team.

A wee bit of talk here about 2012-13 team.
So, if we could pick a starting 11 from that team and this season's what would yours be?
And for arguments sake, let's go by the players from 2012-13 on how they're doing now i:e I'd have Gav over Clark on the basis of this season.

Martin

Mitchell
Durnan
Fordyce
Holt

Burns
Young
McKenna
Thomas

Reilly
Dobbie

Haven't done it for how they are playing just now, just done it hypothetically.

Doing that has just made me even more depressed when I look at our current midfield.

Martin

Mitchell
Durnan
Fordyce
Holt

Burns
Young
McKenna
Thomas

Reilly
Dobbie

Doing that has just made me even more depressed when I look at our current midfield.

And now I'm depressed! Is that a midfield 3 of Young, McKenna and Young and then Thomas in front?
Just because I like all 3 in the middle and they were always more effective in there.
Also, I was thinking the other day that imagine we had Gav, Clark and Dobbie all up front? One can only dream!

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Martin

Mitchell
Durnan
Fordyce
Holt

Burns
Young
McKenna
Thomas

Reilly
Dobbie

Interested in how you have rated the keepers.  If not as they are doing now then what were your thoughts.  Robinson was great in 12-13 and in terms of good displays for QOS is some way ahead of Martin for me. Martin may yet prove to be the better keeper of course.

Interested in how you have rated the keepers.  If not as they are doing now then what were your thoughts.  Robinson was great in 12-13 and in terms of good displays for QOS is some way ahead of Martin for me. Martin may yet prove to be the better keeper of course.

Tbh it could be either of them for me. I wasn't one of Robinson's haters.

Derek Young

Derek Young     Derek Young     Derek Young     Derek Young

Derek Young     Derek Young     Derek Young         Derek Young

Derek Young     Stephen Dobbie