The Queen of the South thread

According to "Inside the SPFL" on Twitter, our average attendance is 1,495. Only 62 more than Ayr United and 309 less than Raith Rovers, both who are in the league below. Considering we have about 4 teams who bring a decent travelling support, our support is absolute sh*te!

What was our average attendance when we were top of League One?

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

We've never been top of league one.

His point is a valid one though.  

People enjoy watching a winning team and we've done very little of that at Palmerston this season.  Our crowds probably were better when we were last in the third tier, regardless of what name it operated under.  

The current figure is low though, especially given that some decent supports visit.  Have we been lower than that in the last fifteen years or so?  How does that figure compare with the one for the Gus season?

What was our average attendance when we were top of League One?

His point is a valid one though.  
People enjoy watching a winning team and we've done very little of that at Palmerston this season.  Our crowds probably were better when we were last in the third tier, regardless of what name it operated under.  
The current figure is low though, especially given that some decent supports visit.  Have we been lower than that in the last fifteen years or so?  How does that figure compare with the one for the Gus season?

Not sure of the average attendance but we did have an attendance of over 1500 when we played Arbroath at home when we won 6-0, over 1900 against Ayr United and over 2000 against Stranraer.

Didn't mean to double quote. But anyway, after having a really quick look at the Gus Macpherson season it's looks like our attendances were roughly the same or slightly higher than this season, but we did have Hamilton, Dundee and Partick Thistle in the league.

2 hours ago, queenslad said:

will Queens have a game on 3 March now that Falkirk match is called off due to Scottish Cup? Will Dundee Utd game be rearranged to the Saturday or do they have a game elsewhere?

There's a full fixture list that day (although obviously Morton's game v Dumbarton is now off too). United are playing St Mirren that weekend (on the Friday night) so the short answer is no, we won't have a game on March 3rd. We need to find a new date for the Falkirk game.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

On 10/02/2018 at 18:16, Mustafa_sheet said:

I know for a fact that there are many fans including several wealthy businessmen who will not set foot in Palmerston until the current chairman has left the club.

As a result they are not spending on hospitality, advertising, shirt draw sponsorship, season tickets etc.

This combined with other factors such as “the Rangers vote”, poor performances at home, style of play, lack of youth coming through the turnstiles, smoking ban, the weather, 6 nations on tv, seats covered in bird mess!!.......etc have slowly lead to a decline in attendances and income.

I would be in favour of significantly increasing the adult pay at the gate price to say £18 but freezing the price of a season ticket to try and encourage more fans to buy one, whilst at the same time rewarding loyal fans. This would benefit the club as we would have more money paid up front and we would also make more from away fans, especially those clubs that have a healthy away support. Thoughts???

Not being in the Dumfries business bubble, I'm genuinely interested why regular Queens fans including several wealthy local businessmen will not enter Palmerston or spend money on shirt draw sponsorship, hospitality etc.  while the current Chairman is in post.  I understand the politics, competition, jealousy etc.  that can go hánd in hand with running a business and you obviously can't be liked by all, not to mention cronyism and the like,  but, without being libelous, would you care to elaborate? 

Having digested the accounts, it seems Queens are unable to fund full-time football for the medium  term without either additional revenue streams or a benefactor.  Some tough decisions are going to have to be made in the next few years. Personally, I'd like to see the club set up as a community trust where local business people and the wider fan base work together for the community.  This model has its drawbacks but may be the best solution. 

Dos anyone know if the 'World of Sport' development being proposed by the Board and the bloke from the Crichton Trust is still a viable proposition? 

On 11/02/2018 at 19:42, Skyline Drifter said:

If its Neil Macfarlane he doesnt need a job. Not long appointed along with Stevie Crawford as assistants to Steven Pressley at FC Paphos in Cyprus.

That just leaves the ex-Franchise manager, Neilson available.  He did a wonderful job at MK (in getting them towards the relegation spots) and would be a good shout for next manager at Queens if the job was available. :whistle:lol::thumsup2

Spoiler

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

That's equivalent to 354 adult tickets per home league game, which must be close to the number of fans we have lost recently.  How we get them back is a problem.  A return to consistently playing a positive, passing game would be a good start.  A few years ago Queens felt like a club that was going places, a club with a winning approach, and people responded to that "vibe."  Now, it's very different.  Where that positive atmosphere comes from, exactly, is hard to pin down, but it is what we need to re-capture if we want to progress.  It probably arises by a chance combination of board-room personalities, manager, cash, weather, the economy, players, etc, IMHO, and to some extent we just need to plug away until those stars all align for us again, and then for the club  to seize the moment instead of bottling it like last time.

2 hours ago, oldhat said:

That's equivalent to 354 adult tickets per home league game, which must be close to the number of fans we have lost recently. 

It is the equivalent of 425 adult tickets per home league game. 

That's equivalent to 354 adult tickets per home league game, which must be close to the number of fans we have lost recently.  How we get them back is a problem.  A return to consistently playing a positive, passing game would be a good start.  A few years ago Queens felt like a club that was going places, a club with a winning approach, and people responded to that "vibe."  Now, it's very different.  Where that positive atmosphere comes from, exactly, is hard to pin down, but it is what we need to re-capture if we want to progress.  It probably arises by a chance combination of board-room personalities, manager, cash, weather, the economy, players, etc, IMHO, and to some extent we just need to plug away until those stars all align for us again, and then for the club  to seize the moment instead of bottling it like last time.

I totally agree that a return to a positive passing game would be a great start but the BOD have my utmost sympathy when it comes to trying to rekindle the enthusiasm of the missing "400".

It only takes the temperature to dip a few degrees and the rain to start at 2.15 and the momentous 10 minute walk to the ground or the 5 minute car trip is too much for some.

The same ones will be the first to criticise if the club returns to PT status.

Full time football seems safe for next season but money needs to come from somewhere if we want it to continue after that.

There’s no quick fixes re crowds. Obviously if we manage to have a playoff or cup run this season/next season that should help a little bit.

Perhaps a small increase in gate prices is due this summer. Any further increase should only be to subsidise kids getting in for free imo.

For me part time football would be hard to stomach after the relatively successful period we’ve enjoyed. If it does happen though we should treat it as a wake up call to build again for the future.

28 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I totally agree that a return to a positive passing game would be a great start but the BOD have my utmost sympathy when it comes to trying to rekindle the enthusiasm of the missing "400".

It only takes the temperature to dip a few degrees and the rain to start at 2.15 and the momentous 10 minute walk to the ground or the 5 minute car trip is too much for some.

The same ones will be the first to criticise if the club returns to PT status.

If true, you have to ask why that is.

I am quite puzzled by the concept that when the club was making profits it meant the board were doing a great job. And when the club is making losses, it is the fans’ fault.

Our away support also seems pretty poor these days. What happened to that? Did the central belt fans lose interest? Less folk travelling now with quite a few games live on the internet?

I struggle to drag myself along to Palmerston to watch the rubbish we're being served, never mind a 3/4 hour round trip to watch it.

Though maybe I should as our best performances appear to have taken place on the road.

Can we hit this notion on the head that we used to play "majestic Barcelona at their prime tiki-taka" before it gets out of control please?  Anyone holding that view is looking through rose-tinted spectacles.  The only time in recent memory I can think of where this was remotely accurate is when we were the only full-time team in a part-time league.  I have no doubts that this current squad would be just as successful at that level.   Nicky Clark scored 40 goals, can you imagine how many Dobbie would get?

It seems fans of every team these days, regardless of the level they are at, have this sense of entitlement that they should be watching slick passing football.  It completely baffles me.  You can only piss with the cock you've got.  St Mirren are running away with this league, but they aren't blowing teams away, they are having to grind out results as well.  I doubt their fans are complaining though, you get the same 3 points regardless of how you achieve them.  Likewise Livi are having a season beyond all expectation playing a rather agricultural style of football.  Again I doubt their fans are bothered in the slightest.

Complaining about the quality of our attacking play whilst watching Stephen Dobbie tear it up every week is fairly laughable.  We are the third highest scorers in the league behind the runaway leaders and Dunfermline.  What is far more concerning to me is that only Falkirk and Brechin have conceded more goals than us.

I suggest you go and watch the performances against Rangers particularly the 3-0 mauling in April - best complete team performance I have ever seen -  as well as the 2-0 in the December. prior.

You will not be able to deny the slick, pacy, incisive and attractive football on display there.

Not forgetting the play-off performance at Ibrox.

The move for the opener there - to equalise in the tie - was superb and took no more than 30 seconds,  The only time the ball was in the air was Danny's superb cross expertly headed home by Del Boy.

These were not isolated performances by the way.

I often watch these games to remind how good we were then.  A bitter-sweet experience now.

Naysmith  does not approach football that way which makes it a chore to watch - even with Dobbie.

In fact,  Naysmith's incompetence is masked by Dobbie and his goals.

Without him we would be fighting to avoid the relegation play-off spot.