The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, louisxiv said:

Why Graeme 'Fanny' Robertson? 

3 hours ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Mainly due to him being solid and reliable, good positionally and passed the ball well, continued to develop and play well in the premier with Dunfermline. Am sure it was Nobby Clark that turned him into a fullback as he certainly wasn’t the best in midfield if I recall.

I think he is asking why that nickname not why you picked him?

I dont recall personally. I remember people referring to him as "Fanny" but he was known as that before I was going.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Best right back?

For me going back to the mid 80s I would go for Robbie Neilson. He was only here for about three months on loan and wasnt ours as such but he was outstanding. 

I would have Mitch above Eric Paton. Neither of them was particularly brilliant defensively. Paton lost his place in the Cup Final season to Ryan McCann for exactly that reason. Both outstanding on the ball though. Paton was a better footballer than Mitchell but Mitch's crossing and set piece delivery was brilliant.

Graeme Robertson was very good too but I was a wee bit young to properly appreciate him and I certainly dont remember the likes of Jimmy Miller.

I would throw Alan Gray in as another candidate. Best player in our 2002 title side but his time in Division 1 was ruined by injury. We never found out if he could make the step up.

Neilson also a great shout.

I think he is asking why that nickname not why you picked him?

I dont recall personally. I remember people referring to him as "Fanny" but he was known as that before I was going.

That’s right, it was the nickname I was curious about.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Best right back?

For me going back to the mid 80s I would go for Robbie Neilson. He was only here for about three months on loan and wasnt ours as such but he was outstanding. 

I would have Mitch above Eric Paton. Neither of them was particularly brilliant defensively. Paton lost his place in the Cup Final season to Ryan McCann for exactly that reason. Both outstanding on the ball though. Paton was a better footballer than Mitchell but Mitch's crossing and set piece delivery was brilliant.

Graeme Robertson was very good too but I was a wee bit young to properly appreciate him and I certainly dont remember the likes of Jimmy Miller.

I would throw Alan Gray in as another candidate. Best player in our 2002 title side but his time in Division 1 was ruined by injury. We never found out if he could make the step up.

Neilson's a great shout, as well as his great defensive and attacking threat thing that sticks in my mind was Robbie's long throws one of the first players I can remember making great use of this for Queens.

Best right back?

Alan gray is certainly the player that sprung to my mind he was superb that season unfortunately injury then took hold

Best right back?

I mind Alan Gray being absolutely rag-dolled by Barry Robson in a home match against Inverness in our first season back in Div 1 under Connolly !! He was substituted and I don’t think he played again.

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Going back a fair bit i.e. to the 1970s but Jimmy Miller best RB we have had in my view.

Jimmy%20Miller%20smaller.jpg

Good shout!

Re. Graham Robertson, I was always under the impression his nickname was Deisil.

Agree about Jimmy Miller.

Joined from Aberdeen and went to Motherwell after us.

A number of that team moved up a level.

As well as Miller,  Crawford Boyd went to Hearts, John Dempster to St. Mirren and Billy McLaren to Hibs.

I can't remember exactly but I think Tommy O;Hara went to Boston and then Motherwell on his return or vice versa.

I'm sure there would have been interest in Peter Dickson too but he did not want to go full-time.

Mike Jackson could spot a player and knew how to get the best out of them - a good and proper football manager.

Mike Jackson...now that's going back. I liked him a lot both as a manager and player. I remember when he played for us he was sent off against East Stirling at Firs Park  for swearing...at one of his own players! I may be wrong but I think it was one of the Law brothers.  He was a 100% full on player and the same as Manager.

Just noticed for the first time that there is a substantial billboard in the Cuckoo Bridge Tesco with the Queens' fixture list on it.  A great idea to get fixture lists in as many places as possible but how long has it been there and are there  other billboards situated in other supermarkets,  shops,  etc.? 

Just noticed for the first time that there is a substantial billboard in the Cuckoo Bridge Tesco with the Queens' fixture list on it.  A great idea to get fixture lists in as many places as possible but how long has it been there and are there  other billboards situated in other supermarkets,  shops,  etc.? 

As well as Miller,  Crawford Boyd went to Hearts, John Dempster to St. Mirren and Billy McLaren to Hibs.
I can't remember exactly but I think Tommy O;Hara went to Boston and then Motherwell on his return or vice versa.
I'm sure there would have been interest in Peter Dickson too but he did not want to go full-time.
Mike Jackson could spot a player and knew how to get the best out of them - a good and proper football manager.

At least a couple of weeka. And there's one in the Loreburn Centre, not sure of anywhere else.

Several months. Mark Blount mentioned it in a previous board update. There is one at Morrisons too.

Must admit to not reading that update by Mark Blount. If they have been up in Morrisons and Tesco for several months and this is the first time I noticed it, even though they are quite big,  it probably says more about my attitude to shopping,  ie keep the head down and get in and out a quick as possible.  The billboards are a great idea I think. 

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Lots of decent players in that team. Tommy O`Hara in particular was a top player. He went to Washington Diplomats from us and also played for Jacksonville Tea Men. Also picked up an international cap for USA.

He sadly died a couple of years ago. His obituary was in the Scotsman (see link)

Tommy O`Hara

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The chat about right backs makes me feel old (because I am).

I`m old enough to remember the likes of Alex Totten and Tony Connell (a St Mirren Hall of Famer according to wiki) playing there in the early 1970`s. I think Totten could play right or left back though I don`t remember him being particularly good. Connell was a classy player though.

20 hours ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Mainly due to him being solid and reliable, good positionally and passed the ball well, continued to develop and play well in the premier with Dunfermline. Am sure it was Nobby Clark that turned him into a fullback as he certainly wasn’t the best in midfield if I recall.

I think he played as a midfielder did he not for Dunfermline? Before my time but I always remember him being referred to as a midfielder. 

57 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I think he played as a midfielder did he not for Dunfermline? Before my time but I always remember him being referred to as a midfielder. 

I`m fairly sure he was converted to a RB with us and largely played that position with Dunfermline. Not certain about his time with the Pars though.

Certainly Wiki (I know) lists him as a right back.

WikiLink

53 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I`m fairly sure he was converted to a RB with us and largely played that position with Dunfermline. Not certain though about his time with the Pars though.

Certainly Wiki (I know) lists him as a right back.

WikiLink

I only remember him playing right back at all, both for us and Dunfermline. He was already a right back when I started going. I didn't see him often with Dunfermline obviously but when I did he was playing right back. Doesn't mean he didn't play midfield at times as well of course.