The Queen of the South thread

I was expecting much more from QOS yesterday. I picked up a team sheet before the game and was surprised that your new guys weren't involved from the start. I had St Mirren victory , both teams to score,on my coupon , everything else came up , so Mr Dobbie etc cost me £217 ^_^

13 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

Who were the players that did not follow Naysmiths instructions? 

The lot of them by the way he's bleating.  Another defeat where none of it is Non-stick Naysmith's fault. Probably set-up to contain Saints as long as possible and hopefully nick a goal instead of actually trying to pressure them from the off.  

I'm no very good with Technology so i hope this works. Here's a heartfelt video about 6 of Chris Mitchell's team mates speaking about him, Derek Lyle and Chris Higgins are in it too. With David Cox of Cowdenbeath opening up about the abuse he's suffered over his mental health issues and the CM foundation doing really well, hopefully it's the start of mental health awareness, not just in football, but everywhere.

Check out @SPFLTrust’s Tweet:

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Interesting to note that Callum Fordyce extended his contract so he can take part in next season's push for the playoffs.  So he's either written off the prospect of us reaching them this season, or expects us to lose them should we make them.  He is also writing us off for winning the league next season.

Now while you don't have to be Nostradamus to agree that all of the above is extremely likely to happen, saying it in public is pretty damaging, and explains the falling crowds.  No-one wants to watch a stagnating team who set finishing fourth out of ten as their main ambition every year.  If that is the mindset of the players, no wonder they are turning up at games like yesterday thinking they have already been beaten before a ball has been kicked.

Ever since the introduction of the playoffs we have stated it was our ambition to reach them every year, but not to try and improve on previous years, just simply to reach them.  It's a defeatist attitude where we seem to rule out finishing in the top 3 before a ball has been kicked and settle for fourth at best.  Given that we know that the only realistic chance of being promoted through the playoffs is if you finish second it isn't an ambition with promotion in mind, it is about getting a bit of extra money to boost the coffers for next season's push at finishing top of our mini-league of seven.

I'm not advocating coming out with brash statements about world domination that will end up making us look stupid, but I think we should change our schtick away from putting so much emphasis on reaching the playoffs, and just aim to finish as high as we can.  Obviously the ultimate aim is to finish in the playoffs but without that pressure perhaps the manager and players could perform with a bit more freedom.

When our budget, size of our support and I think location is taken into account then I see making the playoffs each year as a reasonably ambitious target. Looking at the clubs in the league you would have St Mirren and Dundee utd as the top two. I would have Falkirk and either Dunfermline or Caley Thistle going for last two playoff places. Ourselves, Morton and Livi are I think competing against each other for next highest place with the two part-timers at the bottom. That's what I would expect. But Falkirk had there shocking start and Caley Thistle have struggled and therefore we have the situation of 5 or 6 teams within a couple of points of each other. If we make the playoffs I think it would be a good achievement. By making the playoffs we can hopefully improve crowds and hopefully help close the financial gap to those above us.

The lot of them by the way he's bleating.  Another defeat where none of it is Non-stick Naysmith's fault. Probably set-up to contain Saints as long as possible and hopefully nick a goal instead of actually trying to pressure them from the off.  

I agree with this.

I continue to lose count of the number of times that we go into these tough away games with some elaborate master plan that is predicated on an ultra cautious approach designed to stifle the opposition and sneak a goal on a rare counter attack. Yesterday for spells in first half our formation resembled a 3-6-1. Not surprisingly we had no "out ball" and as invariably happens we leave ourselves a mountain to climb. In the first St Mirren away game Saints had a defensive injury crisis and needed to get emergency loan reinforcements - if ever we had an attacking mandate then that was it but we even set up defensively that day and allowed the opposition to effortlessly control the game.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were actually good at the "dirty industrial" side of football but our attempts at containment are poor - just look at the goals against column. We would be far better abandoning these tactics forthwith and giving it a real go in every game between now and end of season. He might just be surprised at the positive reaction from the players and supporters alike.

Of course we could have done that yesterday and still lost 4-3 or 5-3 but sitting there in the second half yesterday watching the players go through the motions and literally failing to lay a glove on the league leaders was not an enjoyable or entertaining experience.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree with this.

I continue to lose count of the number of times that we go into these tough away games with some elaborate master plan that is predicated on an ultra cautious approach designed to stifle the opposition and sneak a goal on a rare counter attack. Yesterday for spells in first half our formation resembled a 3-6-1. Not surprisingly we had no "out ball" and as invariably happens we leave ourselves a mountain to climb. In the first St Mirren away game Saints had a defensive injury crisis and needed to get emergency loan reinforcements - if ever we had an attacking mandate then that was it but we even set up defensively that day and allowed the opposition to effortlessly control the game.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were actually good at the "dirty industrial" side of football but our attempts at containment are poor - just look at the goals against column. We would be far better abandoning these tactics forthwith and giving it a real go in every game between now and end of season. He might just be surprised at the positive reaction from the players and supporters alike.

Of course we could have done that yesterday and still lost 4-3 or 5-3 but sitting there in the second half yesterday watching the players go through the motions and literally failing to lay a glove on the league leaders was not an enjoyable or entertaining experience.

A manager approaching a game against a bigger team by being overly cautious isn't exactly a new thing to be honest.  And yesterday I don't necessarily think we were that defensive but with a lack of quality in midfield up against a team that  has guys interchanging all over the park we had no idea what to do. The wing backs were that focused on stopping Morgan that they weren't able to support the middle 3 midfielders and it was just a mess. In the first game there we didn't play badly but Martin played like we stuck a fan in goals. It was that bad a half yesterday that I might have preferred it if we shitfested for a 0-0, we might have defended a lot better.

Arguably Naysmith has been more positive against bigger teams than Fowler or Skelton who largely looked to sit in against Hibs, Hearts and Rangers away from home. He's played 2 up top just about every time. Obviously you just have to look at his record to say that it is probably not the best idea to do so and the concept of 'having a go' against superior teams that are in form is a lot easier said than done.

Edited by Sloop John B

Strange how everyone can talk about needless things but not important things like what happened to Chris Mitchell and mental health. Would have been nice if someone could post that video but obviously no one could bother their arse.

10 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Strange how everyone can talk about needless things but not important things like what happened to Chris Mitchell and mental health. Would have been nice if someone could post that video but obviously no one could bother their arse.

Not sure what you mean.

I watched the video you posted - it works.

40 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I'm not sure what your point is? You posted it yourself twice on the last page. Its working fine.