The Queen of the South thread

Two things have kept Del out of the team of late.  Injury is one and thus he couldn`t have played anyway. While he was out Kane was doing a great job and totally deserved to start.  Once Del is fit, though it would appear he is injured agin, he has every chance to feature.

Of late that's certainly the case but I had a look back to confirm my thoughts that he was dropped before then.

16th Sep he scored against Morton. He failed to do so in the next game away to St Mirren. He was then dropped from the starting line-up for the next 7 games. During that time Dykes scored twice, Lyle still managed a goal from the bench and Kane never scored at all.

He came back in against Montrose and failed to score but scored a few days later in the replay. He (we) failed to score against Livi, he was ill away to Dumbarton and the next game at ICT he never started. After that Kane started finding his form.

(Not a direct response to you as you've said "of late") Kane's form and this injury has stopped Lyle starting but what is the reason in that spell I've mentioned? No one was banging them in and he wasn't injured. I think it's fair enough Nithsdale Wanderer is pissed off about Lyle's treatment and it's not a case of him being kept out by better players. He shouldn't have went to the press but given he was/is our biggest threat behind Dobbie you have to wonder what your gaffer is thinking dropping him for no reason for 7 games and I can understand his frustration.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Of late that's certainly the case but I had a look back to confirm my thoughts that he was dropped before then.

16th Sep he scored against Morton. He failed to do so in the next game away to St Mirren. He was then dropped from the starting line-up for the next 7 games. During that time Dykes scored twice, Lyle still managed a goal from the bench and Kane never scored at all.

He came back in against Montrose and failed to score but scored a few days later in the replay. He (we) failed to score against Livi, he was ill away to Dumbarton and the next game at ICT he never started. After that Kane started finding his form.

(Not a direct response to you as you've said "of late") Kane's form and this injury has stopped Lyle starting but what is the reason in that spell I've mentioned? No one was banging them in and he wasn't injured. I think it's fair enough Nithsdale Wanderer is pissed off about Lyle's treatment and it's not a case of him being kept out by better players. He shouldn't have went to the press but given he was/is our biggest threat behind Dobbie you have to wonder what your gaffer is thinking dropping him for no reason for 7 games and I can understand his frustration.

I just don`t buy that Lyle was badly treated then either. Other than a penalty shoot-out defeat in Wales we were unbeaten in that run with a pretty decent 3 wins and 2 draws in the league plus a cup win at Montrose in the diddy cup where Dykes came on and scored a crucial goal. I`d get the concerns if we`d done badly in that run but while we weren`t exactly banging them in we were doing fine. I really like Lyle and he`s been a great servant to us but I just don`t buy he`s been badly treated by Naysmith and as said his bleating to the press is pretty pathetic in all honesty.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's the point I have been trying to make but maybe didn't put the 'meat on the bones' as you have - great research -   which hopefully will clarify the situation for others.

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

How many times does he say "you know"

ETA:I have now noticed Fordyce is saying it every couple sentences aswell,Toddy what have you done to me:thumbsdown

Every time I think to myself that he can't fit another one in but... you know ;) 

8 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

How many times does he say "you know"

ETA:I have now noticed Fordyce is saying it every couple sentences aswell,Toddy what have you done to me:thumbsdown

You know, I didn't  really notice him saying it too much, you know, he just gave a straight forward interview, you know. Sandra didn't seem to pick up on it, you know, and he does seem to speak very good English, you know. He will have a bit of time now to get to know the players and sort of gel with the players, you know. I wish him luck with queen of the South football club 

You know

Interesting to note that Callum Fordyce extended his contract so he can take part in next season's push for the playoffs.  So he's either written off the prospect of us reaching them this season, or expects us to lose them should we make them.  He is also writing us off for winning the league next season.

Now while you don't have to be Nostradamus to agree that all of the above is extremely likely to happen, saying it in public is pretty damaging, and explains the falling crowds.  No-one wants to watch a stagnating team who set finishing fourth out of ten as their main ambition every year.  If that is the mindset of the players, no wonder they are turning up at games like yesterday thinking they have already been beaten before a ball has been kicked.

Ever since the introduction of the playoffs we have stated it was our ambition to reach them every year, but not to try and improve on previous years, just simply to reach them.  It's a defeatist attitude where we seem to rule out finishing in the top 3 before a ball has been kicked and settle for fourth at best.  Given that we know that the only realistic chance of being promoted through the playoffs is if you finish second it isn't an ambition with promotion in mind, it is about getting a bit of extra money to boost the coffers for next season's push at finishing top of our mini-league of seven.

I'm not advocating coming out with brash statements about world domination that will end up making us look stupid, but I think we should change our schtick away from putting so much emphasis on reaching the playoffs, and just aim to finish as high as we can.  Obviously the ultimate aim is to finish in the playoffs but without that pressure perhaps the manager and players could perform with a bit more freedom.