The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Has there been a  centre forward over six foot that Queens fans have actually liked aside from Sean O'Connor?  Not sure if it's just us that prefer vanilla midgets that run around a lot or a wider Scottish thing.

So, apart from O’Connor, Weatherson, Smith, Parkin, Nesovic, Cochrane and Frye, what have big centre forwards ever done for us?

8 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

In your opinion

I would imagine in most fans opinion.   If you go to the games  it is plain to see.

5 hours ago, coo shedder said:

Like all players there comes a time when age takes its toll and sadly Lyle's time has come. Niggling injuries are now the norm for Derek which is a tell tale sign. A great servant for Queens who over many years  has been one of the first names on the team sheet but sadly those days are over. 

I agree to a degree and we know this is his last season.

However, I do not agree that he should just be written off.    If he was overweight and slow and unable to add anything to the team then I could understand it somewhat.

That is certainly not the case though.

He was superb with Dobbie last season before Naysmith came in and on the odd occasion when they have been selected together since - anyone can see the chemistry between them which was instantaneous after Dobbie arrived because they both have natural talent and instinct.

For a Manager not to capitalise on that is a dereliction of duty to say the least.

So, I am not buying that just because he is a certain age and in his last season he is no use anymore and it disappoints me that some fans seem - like Naysmith - to think that.

Whenever he is on the pitch he enhances and contributes to the team  -  not just with goals e.g. winner  against Montrose and clincher against Falkirk -  but with his hold up and link up play.

He is an excellent and intelligent footballer who is on the same wavelength as Dobbie -  we should make the most of that while we still can.

Maybe it's not his age that causes  "niggling injuries" but the fact that his game time is so limited and sporadic.

However, I do not agree that he should just be written off.    If he was overweight and slow and unable to add anything to the team then I could understand it somewhat.
He was superb with Dobbie last season before Naysmith came in and on the odd occasion when they have been selected together since - anyone can see the chemistry between them which was instantaneous after Dobbie arrived because they both have natural talent and instinct.
For a Manager not to capitalise on that is a dereliction of duty to say the least.
So, I am not buying that just because he is a certain age and in his last season he is no use anymore and it disappoints me that some fans seem - like Naysmith - to think that.
Whenever he is on the pitch he enhances and contributes to the team  -  not just with goals e.g. winner  against Montrose and clincher against Falkirk -  but with his hold up and link up play.
He is an excellent and intelligent footballer who is on the same wavelength as Dobbie -  we should make the most of that while we still can.
Maybe it's not his age that causes  "niggling injuries" but the fact that his game time is so limited and sporadic.

I’m not saying he’s totally done, either has Naysmith, he’s definitely an option still along with Fergusson and now Todorov. The niggling injuries are the cause of his sparing game time. He got injured Kane took his chance and never looked back. Up to Tanman to win his place back which I’d like to think he’ll welcome the challenge, as Fergusson has taken his chance and should keep his place rightly so at the moment.

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I would imagine in most fans opinion.   If you go to the games  it is plain to see.

I buy some of that. There is, especially now, real competition for places. You say Lyle should be starting alongside Dobbie. I would consider next season where we won't have Lyle and that we should be molding fergusson into our long term future plans. We have Dobbie next season which is fantastic but to have just Lyle and Dobbs for now and not to consider other factors such as next season or a match game plan is too narrow vision. I think Lyle is a fantastic servant to the club and I value any contribution. 

I have not heard anything towards the manager. Heard bit about tapping, Rankin and for Martin for his part in THAT GOAL. Two games is not a lot over course of the season I know but those two games we lost and I heard nothing  untowards to manager. 

2 hours ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Derek Frye was one of the best natural strikers I ever saw playing against Queens but sadly when Davie Wilson signed him around 1986 he was done !!

Spot on.  

He was prolific throughout his career but could hardly move when he joined us.

I think the first time I saw him was opening game of the season at home to Airdrie, may have been 1987,  which ended 2-2 in which he certainly scored one and maybe even both.  He certainly was a handful for any defence.

Seem to recall a noisy dodgy lot from Airdrie - the norm in those days -  that day and some sort of incident in the enclosure.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

So, apart from O’Connor, Weatherson, Smith, Parkin, Nesovic, Cochrane and Frye, what have big centre forwards ever done for us?

Not really a centre forward, but if Cochy is being mentioned, I'd have to include his peer, Ted McMinn. One of the most skilful players to have played for Queens in the modern era who only cost £325 and 1000 Queens lottery tickets. What a bargain!  Primarily a wide player, but could certainly do a job up top and was about 6 feet tall.  Lochside boy as well. 

Changing subject, anyone know why there have not been any match highlights on the OS or the QOSTV youtube page for a good while? Skyline?  (not moaning, just want to see them as it's a much appreciated service that I imagine is carried out by  volunteer(s). )

39 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Changing subject, anyone know why there have not been any match highlights on the OS or the QOSTV youtube page for a good while? Skyline?  (not moaning, just want to see them as it's a much appreciated service that I imagine is carried out by  volunteer(s). )

I don't "know" for sure but I think this happens about this time every year. I'm sure motdwannabe will confirm when he's able but his day job is one that is significantly busier in winter bad weather and I imagine he struggles for the time to edit it together at this time of year. He is certainly still filming the games.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

We'll fall in love with him, but he wasn't good enough for the Livingston bench?
Ok.

Exactly after the big build up I thought we had unearthed a player but failure to qualify for Livvy bench well and truly marks our card.

I think our expectations have been managed.

1 hour ago, Brother Grimm said:

Not sure where this not making the bench stuff comes from? 

The only squad quad he has been missing from was the Falkirk cup match two weeks ago before returning to the squad last Saturday? 

Plenty of our fans don`t like to let the facts get in the way a good moan.

I just want to chime in about this conversation regarding Derek Lyle and his involvement in the first team. As many have said there is absolutely no doubting his commitment and desire when he is on the park. His ability to link up play with Dobbie has been telepathic at times and he is one of the most clinical finishers that we have had at the club. That being said, I think what Naysmith is doing is wise. Dobbie has already committed himself to another year with the club and finding a new suitable partner for him this early on will only benefit us for next season to start off strongly. Lyle will no doubt still play a part until his sad departure and I am holding on to hope that he can grab those goals he needs to climb up the record books - but giving more minutes to the likes of Fergusson should be encouraged and will hopefully pay off in the future and (with his current form) the remainder of this season too.

Spot on.  
He was prolific throughout his career but could hardly move when he joined us.
I think the first time I saw him was opening game of the season at home to Airdrie, may have been 1987,  which ended 2-2 in which he certainly scored one and maybe even both.  He certainly was a handful for any defence.
Seem to recall a noisy dodgy lot from Airdrie - the norm in those days -  that day and some sort of incident in the enclosure.

That’s right, I remember Airdrie had a notorious casual group called ‘Section B’ lol

49 minutes ago, Highlandhamer said:

I just want to chime in about this conversation regarding Derek Lyle and his involvement in the first team. As many have said there is absolutely no doubting his commitment and desire when he is on the park. His ability to link up play with Dobbie has been telepathic at times and he is one of the most clinical finishers that we have had at the club. That being said, I think what Naysmith is doing is wise. Dobbie has already committed himself to another year with the club and finding a new suitable partner for him this early on will only benefit us for next season to start off strongly. Lyle will no doubt still play a part until his sad departure and I am holding on to hope that he can grab those goals he needs to climb up the record books - but giving more minutes to the likes of Fergusson should be encouraged and will hopefully pay off in the future and (with his current form) the remainder of this season too.

I agree with a lot of what you say but that's  not what Naysmith is doing.

He has dropped Lyle for no reason from early on in the season - even when he was scoring.

What really gets me is that he doesn't seem to recognise the synergy of those two together or else he does and chooses to ignore it.

Poor management on either count.

Surely maximising this season's performance takes precedence over having a 'dummy run' for next.

I agree with a lot of what you say but that's  not what Naysmith is doing.
He has dropped Lyle for no reason from early on in the season - even when he was scoring.
What really gets me is that he doesn't seem to recognise the synergy of those two together or else he does and chooses to ignore it.
Poor management on either count.
Surely maximising this season's performance takes precedence over having a 'dummy run' for next.

Someone has it in for Naysmith

You tell 'em Gaz!!