The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Has there been a  centre forward over six foot that Queens fans have actually liked aside from Sean O'Connor?  Not sure if it's just us that prefer vanilla midgets that run around a lot or a wider Scottish thing.

Sam Parkin?

Short term signing I know but still.

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sam Parkin?

Short term signing I know but still.

Was he actually liked or  was it  more just being thankful that he was one of the few that year that had looked like he had played football before?

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

He did for the first year of his two. The second he was much poorer though and he was never popular, even when he was playing well, which was pretty unfair.

Yes, I liked Holmes.

The problem was that he virtually stopped scoring goals altogether in his second season and it's hard to carry a striker who does that. 

He was a tidier footballer than he often got credit for though.  

45 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Has there been a  centre forward over six foot that Queens fans have actually liked aside from Sean O'Connor?  Not sure if it's just us that prefer vanilla midgets that run around a lot or a wider Scottish thing.

What other candidates are there apart from Holmes? Eta can think of Weatherson, but he was well liked. Genuinely can’t think of many other forwards over six foot and especially can’t think of any who were under-rated.

Edited by Flash

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Stewart Cochrane? 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

What other candidates are there apart from Holmes? Eta can think of Weatherson, but he was well liked. Genuinely can’t think of many other forwards over six foot and especially can’t think of any who were under-rated.

I can't think of any that haven't been mentioned.

I've never though of a player's height as an issue but when GN has deployed route 1 in the past to no success it's hard for me not to be slightly apprehensive about a tall striker signing.

So what's people's opinions of the window? Successful?
In: Joe Thomson, Myles Beerman, Kyle Cameron, Dom Thomas , Nikolay Todorov
Out: James McFadden, Callum Tapping, Jason Kerr, Chris Kane, Jesse Akubuine, Andy Stirling, Ewan Gourlay
We have recruited better than i thought we would've.The loss of Kane and Kerr is a blow 
(Taking out Akubuine and Gourlay) IMO Beerman is a Upgrade on McFadden,Thomson is a Upgrade on Tapping,Thomas is a Upgrade on Stirling but Cameron and Todorov would have to be some players to become a Upgrade on Kerr and Kane.Anyway all in all Teams looking strong for a  playoff push second half of the season when many people thought we'd be looking down instead of up.

Pretty happy with the window. We’re looking alright, not wanting to get to excited about our signings are pretty decent. Thomas and Thomson speak for themselves from last season, Beerman I think will be a decent signing better once Marshall comes back and we maybe revert to a 4 at the back to let him move up to left wing. Cameron looks steady enough from what I’ve seen, I think he’ll do fine and Todorov has looked decent enough whenever I’ve seen him, if he’s good at holding the ball up then he’s perfect foil for Dobbie.

All this, then there’s the steady performances from Fergusson and Bell recently, which maybe proved there good enough to be sniffing around the starting 11/bench more often. Not getting too excited but there seems to be some promise from them. Then you have Marshall, Jacobs, Carmichael and Tanman (full fitness) to come back on top of it. We’re in not bad nick.

Big game Saturday any kind of result for us would be positive, going into the weeks break which might be the chance for them three to return.

Getting Fordyce signed up for next season is excellent business. Really chuffed with that news. A good ending to that kind of stuff this week.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Alex Nesovic?

A bit out there but I always liked Kevin Smith (think he was over 6ft?) he was a rare bright in the 11/12 season, and actually started the first couple games under AJ in 12/13 before getting injured. After that he was well down the pecking order, below Clark Reilly and Tan Man. Was relatively fast for a tall man as well, felt sorry for him being frozen out but I suppose when you have a striker bagging 41 goals a season in, it’s hard to get in the team

edit to add: not as good as O’Connor or Weatherston, but a good player nonetheless

Edited by QoS_Blue1919

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

if he’s good at holding the ball up then he’s perfect foil for Dobbie

Think you will find that  Derek Lyle is the absolute best in the squad at retaining possession and bringing others into play up top.

He is , indeed, the perfect foil for Dobbie as evidenced both this season and last but for some inexplicable reason our Manager doesn't  agree.

Think you will find that  Derek Lyle is the absolute best in the squad at retaining possession and bringing others into play up top.
He is , indeed, the perfect foil for Dobbie as evidenced both this season and last but for some inexplicable reason our Manager doesn't  agree.

In your opinion

3 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Like all players there comes a time when age takes its toll and sadly Lyle's time has come. Niggling injuries are now the norm for Derek which is a tell tale sign. A great servant for Queens who over many years  has been one of the first names on the team sheet but sadly those days are over. 

Hiya Derek Lyle, hiya pal

Like all players there comes a time when age takes its toll and sadly Lyle's time has come. Niggling injuries are now the norm for Derek which is a tell tale sign. A great servant for Queens who over many years  has been one of the first names on the team sheet but sadly those days are over. 

Hiya Gary Naysmith, hiya pal