Brownlie/Cameron
Rooney

Beerman
Thomson
Jacobs
Thomas

Lyle
Dobbie

It won't ever happen though. Lyle appears to be out of the frame for regular starts and Rankin doesn't even need to play well to start every week.

I don't see how lack of funds and our style of play are linked though. He has players capable of stringing some passes together and we actually did it against Brechin. I guarantee we'll resort back to this useless hoof ball in Paisley though.

I've noticed the worst candidate for this nonsense is Brownlie. Even on Saturday he was at it. If it's not part of GN's approach he needs to surely have a word with Brownlie about him doing it so often.

With everyone fit I’d probably go with :-

IMG_1517402280.991526.jpg

Maybe could drop Thomson deeper, for rankin to allow Dobbie in hole. Unsure who I’d play upfront by themselves though.

I don't know if we have an obvious strongest XI like seasons gone by where the team virtually picked itself.  I think very deliberately the manager has assembled a lot of versatile players who can play a number of positions in a number of systems.  It makes sense when running with a relatively small squad, but I suppose it does leave you open to the criticism that certain players are jack of all trades master of none.

When fit and available I would say Fordyce, Marshall, Jacobs and Dobbie are all in the "must start" category.  I would like to add Thompson to that list but he is yet to hit the heights of his previous spell.  I'm sure this is down to rustiness than anything else and I expect him to soon be one of the first names on the team-sheet. 

Beyond that a lot depends on the form of the players and the type of opponent we are playing.  For example, Mercer is a more consistent performer than Rooney and is probably first choice RB, but in a game we are expected to be under the cosh using Rooney as an outlet might be a better option.

At the moment the 3-5-2 system appears to be working well and until that changes I would say they are those player's positions to lose.  On paper Fergusson shouldn't be starting, but why drop a player who has 3 assists and a goal in his last 2 games?

I fully expect Fergusson to start on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see who drops out if we assume Thomas will start.

Purely based on Saturday (as I don't want another Dykes is decent/shite kicking off) I'd have to say Dykes was one of our quieter performers and it may well be him for the chop. But it will depend on where Thomas will be deployed. If he's going to the right then Mercer will probably drop out (if it's the same formation as Saturday) which IMO would be harsh. Interestingly enough I think Thomas may well do a job behind the strikers. I base that on his ability to run at players and his fondness of a shot.

GN may well go more cautious and play a back 4 in which case I'd expect a midfield 4 of Thomas, Rankin, Thomson and Beerman.

Suspect  Thomas will start on the bench, not sure he's had much game time at  Killie. I must admit with both Thomson and Thomas signed again, I’m feeling more optimistic, particularly if they hit decent form.

And I may be in a minority but I feel Dykes had performed well recently,  his effort and enthusiasm more than compensate for his occasional lack of subtlety....

Was talking to a Queens fan who is also a season ticket holder at St Mirren (geography and family), he confirmed Saints have been grinding out results without playing particularly well, so we ought to aspire to at least a draw.

Although as far as I am concerned, Saints are the champions this year, the rest of us are scrapping for the play-offs.

I suspect it'll be the same team with Thomas on the bench.Wouldn't be suprised to see a change due to playing the leaders though

As for the strongest team the majority of players can play a couple positions,which means I can see us changing throughout the season,which I don't see as a bad thing 

18 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

It hasn't stopped him dropping Lyle  - with, I suspect even stronger  stats -  on several occasions since he arrived.

Aye well Lyle been injured so if he played him I sure you would of moaned about manager for that. I get you don' like the gaffer but if your going to criticise him it should be for something he could of done different or has done badly

Aye well Lyle been injured so if he played him I sure you would of moaned about manager for that. I get you don' like the gaffer but if your going to criticise him it should be for something he could of done different or has done badly

Doesn’t like him and scared to say it to his face.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Looks like we are going from Sonhamers to Quivingston 

????

Joe Thomson had five minutes there. Callum Fordyce and Kyle Jacobs played there in the past, though Fordyce wasn't signed from there.  It's hardly a massive connection.  Do they have anyone who used to be with us?