The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If Stirling was away at the end of the season I wouldn't have any issues with this at all. I just find it incredible he's been given a 2 year deal, dropped and isolated from the starting team then loaned out. Things like this are probably why we rarely offer 2 year deals.

2 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I don't think Stirling is some kind of wonder player but why the hell sign a player for 2 years and then give him just a handful of starts? And we're expecting the board to release funds for this man to bring in more players?!

Naysmith was responsible for bringing Stirling in so must have thought he could do a job for us especially if he is on a 2 year deal.

This is just another example of what a poor Manager he is .

Either he got it completely wrong about Stirling and he wasn't good enough or he (Naysmith} failed to coach, motivate and develop the player into what he wanted him to be .

Whichever of these is correct  - and I suspect most fans would agree on the latter -  it is just another failure from this Manager.

He doesn't seem to want to work with players but just give up very easily and then isolate and discard them.

Moreover he is costing the Club money that it can ill afford.

Will Stirling be the next on a 2 year deal to have  his contract paid up because of this Manager's ineptitude ?

3 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Naysmith was responsible for bringing Stirling in so must have thought he could do a job for us especially if he is on a 2 year deal.

Either he got it completely wrong about Stirling and he wasn't good enough or he (Naysmith} failed to coach, motivate and develop the player into what he wanted him to be .

Whichever of these is correct  - and I suspect most fans would agree on the latter -  it is just another failure from this Manager.

He doesn't seem to want to work with players but just give up very easily and then isolate and discard them.

Will Stirling be the next on a 2 year deal to have  his contract paid up because of this Manager's ineptitude ?

Bit harsh. People can make mistakes it what makes us human. He is not the worst manager we have had. I don't actually mind him and he continues to have my backing. 

I realise you lost patience with him but hope that your feelings on him dont stop your support of the team. 

I really have no idea what happened with Stirling at Queens but one thing that can't be questioned is whether or not he is good enough. His form for us in the 2nd half of last season was ridiculous, he was a joy to watch. I actually thought he'd sign for one of the teams expected to challenge for the league based on that.

Naysmith and Aitken seem like very different gaffers to me. Aitken is an arm round the shoulder type who is notorious for getting the best out of players who are struggling with confidence. I don't tend to get that vibe from Naysmith but it's hard to judge from mostly post match interviews. Stirling is also the type of player who needs consistent game time, he took a while to get off the mark for us but like I said, when he did he was unstoppable.

I'm surprised it never worked out but shit happens. We're getting a guy back who was excellent for us and Queens are signing a guy, who by all accounts, was excellent for them.

I really have no idea what happened with Stirling at Queens but one thing that can't be questioned is whether or not he is good enough. His form for us in the 2nd half of last season was ridiculous, he was a joy to watch. I actually thought he'd sign for one of the teams expected to challenge for the league based on that.

Naysmith and Aitken seem like very different gaffers to me. Aitken is an arm round the shoulder type who is notorious for getting the best out of players who are struggling with confidence. I don't tend to get that vibe from Naysmith but it's hard to judge from mostly post match interviews. Stirling is also the type of player who needs consistent game time, he took a while to get off the mark for us but like I said, when he did he was unstoppable.

I'm surprised it never worked out but shit happens. We're getting a guy back who was excellent for us and Queens are signing a guy, who by all accounts, was excellent for them.

Exactly. What little I have seen of Stirling, left me wondering why he didn't feature more often. Naysmith clearly does not rate him for whatever reason. I am pleased we have Thomas back. His is more of a mercurial talent and at least Naysmith will definitely give him some game time.

Agree totally.

Stirling was unplayable in the second half of last season. From our perspective I could begin to understand his continual exclusion if we had witnessed one of our other wide players really turning it on week after week. In those circumstances it would be easy to appreciate the rationale for leaving him out.

In reality though with Carmichael out injured we have had nobody who has remotely looked like creating anything from the wide areas and we have become a "one trick pony" with all our eggs being placed firmly in the Stephen Dobbie basket.

Connor Murray may well become a big future asset for us but if we judge him on what he has actually produced (on numerous occasions) it simply doesn't warrant his selection ahead of Stirling.

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Stirling makes his tenth move in ten seasons, but yeah Naysmith is the problem.

To be fair, out of his ten clubs Stevie Aitken has been the manager who has signed him four times now . It would only be nine if he hadn't agreed to return to Stranraer just before we appointed Stevie.

Stirling makes his tenth move in ten seasons, but yeah Naysmith is the problem.

What a load of absolute shite. He's played for mostly part-time clubs on one year deals. About 75% of our squad move on after a season, we can't afford to offer any more than that and neither can most of the clubs he's played for, a few of his moves have been to a better level/bigger club.

His moves are as follows:

Stenny (for 2 seasons) -> East Stirling (for 2 season) -> Kitsap Pumas (an American based team where I'm guessing he was studying/decided to move there) -> Stranraer (for 1 season where he impressed before earning his first full-time move) -> Dunfermline (where he spent time on loan at Stirling Albion due to lack of game time) -> back to Stranraer (where he again impressed before earning a move up a league) -> Dumbarton (again very impressive and earning another move to a bigger club) -> Queens -> Dumbarton on loan due to lack of gane time.

If you think that's odd for a player in the Scottish lower leagues then you clearly don't know how the Scottish lower leagues work. If you think that paints Stirling as some sort of disruptive dressing room character then again you clearly don't know very much about the Scottish lower leagues.

The one thing that stick out for me among those transfers that both of his cracks at full-time football didn't work out.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What a load of absolute shite. He's played for mostly part-time clubs on one year deals. About 75% of our squad move on after a season, we can't afford to offer any more than that and neither can most of the clubs he's played for, a few of his moves have been to a better level/bigger club.

His moves are as follows:

Stenny (for 2 seasons) -> East Stirling (for 2 season) -> Kitsap Pumas (an American based team where I'm guessing he was studying/decided to move there) -> Stranraer (for 1 season where he impressed before earning his first full-time move) -> Dunfermline (where he spent time on loan at Stirling Albion due to lack of game time) -> back to Stranraer (where he again impressed before earning a move up a league) -> Dumbarton (again very impressive and earning another move to a bigger club) -> Queens -> Dumbarton on loan due to lack of gane time.

If you think that's odd for a player in the Scottish lower leagues then you clearly don't know how the Scottish lower leagues work. If you think that paints Stirling as some sort of disruptive dressing room character then again you clearly don't know very much about the Scottish lower leagues.

The one thing that stick out for me among those transfers that both of his cracks at full-time football didn't work out.

Settle pettle I'm not accusing Stirling of anything of the sort.  It just shows that we shouldn't be too surprised to see him moving on after a short time, and also that the move to FT hasn't worked out for him.  It was more a dig at some of our posters who will pin anything on Naysmith given the chance, than a go at Andy Stirling.  It hasn't worked out, we move on.

He was good for you, and less so for us - these things happen.  As someone who reckons he has a fair grasp of how Scottish lower leagues work I've seen it all before.  Several times.

How's Hutton doing for you guys?  He was good for us (won PotY), but by all accounts was dreadful for St Mirren.  Last I heard he was doing a job for the Sonhamers though.  Another example would be Reilly starring for St Mirren but being a flop at Dunfermline.

I'm really surprised this move has caused so much controversy because to me it just seems to be win/win for all parties.  Dumbarton get a player they like and Stirling gets the game time he wants.  We get a player we like, and get rid of a bench warmer, and Dom Thomas gets game time.

Settle pettle I'm not accusing Stirling of anything of the sort.  It just shows that we shouldn't be too surprised to see him moving on after a short time, and also that the move to FT hasn't worked out for him.  It was more a dig at some of our posters who will pin anything on Naysmith given the chance, than a go at Andy Stirling.  It hasn't worked out, we move on.
He was good for you, and less so for us - these things happen.  As someone who reckons he has a fair grasp of how Scottish lower leagues work I've seen it all before.  Several times.
How's Hutton doing for you guys?  He was good for us (won PotY), but by all accounts was dreadful for St Mirren.  Last I heard he was doing a job for the Sonhamers though.  Another example would be Reilly starring for St Mirren but being a flop at Dunfermline.
I'm really surprised this move has caused so much controversy because to me it just seems to be win/win for all parties.  Dumbarton get a player they like and Stirling gets the game time he wants.  We get a player we like, and get rid of a bench warmer, and Dom Thomas gets game time.

I agree, I don't think anyone is to blame, it simply didn't work out for him, much the same as his last full-time club. It could be a number of factors really.

Hutton has been fairly average overall but he had a spell of games where he looked like a world beater. That coincided with a run of games where we went 6 unbeaten and were playing some nice stuff. I'm not sure if his form has been hindered by the sheer lack of creativity infront of him, it will be interesting to see if Stirling's addition will help in that sense along with our injury situation improving.

You going to meet the management team evening ?

Be interesting to hear what you’ve got to say to his face ...... or have you not got the balls

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Absolutely spot on.

As  I said, it's quite clear Naysmith hasn't got the skills - or can't be bothered  -  taking time with players to get the best out of them.  He just bins them.  Stirling is not a unique case.

With regard to 'Meet the Manager' I would have no qualms whatsoever in letting Naysmith know what I think of his performance.

Indeed, had I been local I would have already done so but location and work commitments have prevented me attending previous events.

However, the prospect of hanging around for  two and a half hours  after a game  and not getting home until late just to see his miserable face is not  terribly appealing.

I still cling to the hope, as previously stated, that it is actually a new Manager that is available to meet at that time.

Id have liked it if we kept Stirling and still brought in Dom Thomas but obviously there's reasons why that didn't happen. I don't agree with all this negative talk about GN either, he's actually recruited very well considering "we don't have any funds." How many times has it been mentioned on here about our apparent lack of funds? Which maybe is the case but he's been very shrewd with the players he's brought in.
If we have a fully fit squad then what's everyone's ideal starting 11?

12 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Id have liked it if we kept Stirling and still brought in Dom Thomas but obviously there's reasons why that didn't happen. I don't agree with all this negative talk about GN either, he's actually recruited very well considering "we don't have any funds." How many times has it been mentioned on here about our apparent lack of funds? Which maybe is the case but he's been very shrewd with the players he's brought in.
If we have a fully fit squad then what's everyone's ideal starting 11?

Starting 11 is a bit of a tough one considering it' the league leaders and we are a bit hit and miss. Having said that Flash has pointed out we have been better away from home. I would maybe go with 

Martin 

Brownlie fordyce Cameron

Dykes Thomson Rankin Mercer (defensive roles)

Dobbie Thomas (a free role causing problems)

Fergusson (target man to lay off to Dobbie and Thomas) 

Subs to come on Lyle Beerman and bell. 

I think Thomson should keep dropping back to defence and look for the ball. We likely to lose the possesson battle so it will be no good whenever we do get the ball is to lump it forward. 

Providing everyone was fit I'd probably go:-

Martin

Marshall
Fordyce
Brownlie/Cameron
Rooney

Beerman
Thomson
Jacobs
Thomas

Lyle
Dobbie

It won't ever happen though. Lyle appears to be out of the frame for regular starts and Rankin doesn't even need to play well to start every week.

I don't see how lack of funds and our style of play are linked though. He has players capable of stringing some passes together and we actually did it against Brechin. I guarantee we'll resort back to this useless hoof ball in Paisley though.

I've noticed the worst candidate for this nonsense is Brownlie. Even on Saturday he was at it. If it's not part of GN's approach he needs to surely have a word with Brownlie about him doing it so often.