The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

The other thought that occurs to me is that I’m not sure why anybody has to leave if Thomas is coming back. We have already lost 4 senior players (before Stirling left) and we have brought in 3.  So Thomas would just be bringing the numbers back to what they were. Maybe with Stirling going, there are two players coming in, to make it 5 out and 5 in.  At the moment, it is 5 out and 3 in (or 6 out and 4 in if we include Akubuine and Fergusson).

Could we be reducing the wage bill with a view to next season where there is a real possibility of travelling to the highlands 4 times at least and/or because of the weak crowds and the fact that floodlights still need repairing. 

I would much prefer Stirling to stay and for him to be given a sustained run in the team. Clearly that is not going to happen so it is daft to have one of the higher earners sitting on the bench week after week.

Dom Thomas has ability but a very shrewd Manager at Killie has already decided that he is surplus to requirements. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I do think however that he is a better option than Connor Murray at present, who despite a succession of opportunities, has so far failed to really stamp his authority on the proceedings.Personally I would like to see Owen Bell start some games. He looks to have more to offer in an area of the park where we are painfully short of quality.

19 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I would much prefer Stirling to stay and for him to be given a sustained run in the team. Clearly that is not going to happen so it is daft to have one of the higher earners sitting on the bench week after week.

What doesn’t appear to make sense is the manager bemoaning the fact that he doesn’t have enough experienced players in the side, while picking Murray (or latterly Dykes)* ahead of Stirling before getting shot of Stirling altogether for the season.

*eta

Edited by Flash

Even if Thomas does come back on loan, unless he will be signed for a season next year this whole situation is pretty ridiculous.

Stirling is signed for next season as well and rather than give him game time we would rather bring in a loanee and develop him for another club? Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think Stirling is some kind of wonder player but why the hell sign a player for 2 years and then give him just a handful of starts? And we're expecting the board to release funds for this man to bring in more players?!

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Even if Thomas does come back on loan, unless he will be signed for a season next year this whole situation is pretty ridiculous.

Stirling is signed for next season as well and rather than give him game time we would rather bring in a loanee and develop him for another club? Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think Stirling is some kind of wonder player but why the hell sign a player for 2 years and then give him just a handful of starts? And we're expecting the board to release funds for this man to bring in more players?!

Could not agree more .Surely just give Stirling game time and he will show what a good player he is .Loan a player out to get a loan player in the same position seems mad to me .

Is Thomas a better player than Stirling ?

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Stirling is completely out of the picture with us, rightly or wrongly.  Best case scenario, he goes to Dumbarton, tears it up and comes back to us with a point to prove next season and gets a second chance.  Most likely scenario, he does alright and Dumbarton sign him permanently.

The situation is virtually identical for Thomas except Killie are us and we are Dumbarton.

We're getting rid of a player who hasn't done much, for a player that has already put in good performances for us in the past and is well liked by the fans.  How on earth that can be deemed ridiculous is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Could not agree more .Surely just give Stirling game time and he will show what a good player he is .Loan a player out to get a loan player in the same position seems mad to me .

Is Thomas a better player than Stirling ?

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nail on head. Theres so many things Naysmith has done during his spell which has you scratching your head. Not playing Kane more often was criminal! His continual use of the useless Connor Murray! Signing Stirling who at times looks lively then dropping him the 1st chance he gets every time! Dykes continual selection, especially recently! Signing  Alan Martin who although has got better many would still describe him as being below average. Big wage too! Letting experienced players go and not replacing them! We need more mid 20s players. Not signing a creative midfielder. Feck me we are lacking in that area. This makes us mostly awful to watch as noone drops deep to dictate play! None of his permanent signings bar Fordyce can be described as a roaring success. I just feel that Dobbie has bailed the guy out to a ridiculous degree. Any imbecile would have it easier when a guy that good can bail you out. If he wasnt there christ knows where wed be. 

Stirling is completely out of the picture with us, rightly or wrongly.  Best case scenario, he goes to Dumbarton, tears it up and comes back to us with a point to prove next season and gets a second chance.  Most likely scenario, he does alright and Dumbarton sign him permanently.
The situation is virtually identical for Thomas except Killie are us and we are Dumbarton.
We're getting rid of a player who hasn't done much, for a player that has already put in good performances for us in the past and is well liked by the fans.  How on earth that can be deemed ridiculous is beyond me.

As I said, if it results in Thomas signing permanently next season and Stirling leaving then I won't have many complaints.

But right now looking at things as they are and not hypothetically, I'm not overly chuffed we've let one of our own players go rather than trying to intigrate him into our squad, where it would surely benefit everyone as he is signed to us for another season. Instead we've loaned in a player which will probably benefit us in the short term but hardly in the long term.

Even if Stirling finds some form at Dumbarton again I'm not sure it'll matter. Something has went seriously wrong as performance wise he's done nothing to deserve this treatment so it must be something deeper.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As I said, if it results in Thomas signing permanently next season and Stirling leaving then I won't have many complaints.

But right now looking at things as they are and not hypothetically, I'm not overly chuffed we've let one of our own players go rather than trying to intigrate him into our squad, where it would surely benefit everyone as he is signed to us for another season. Instead we've loaned in a player which will probably benefit us in the short term but hardly in the long term.

Even if Stirling finds some form at Dumbarton again I'm not sure it'll matter. Something has went seriously wrong as performance wise he's done nothing to deserve this treatment so it must be something deeper.

So Stirling going to Dumbarton and Thomas to us permanently is fine, but the same moves on a temporary basis are "absolutely ridiculous"? 

Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

I'm starting to get worried that we seem to be either getting rid of or telling our older players to leave and replacing them with youth loans the average age of the squad is really low and we don't have much experience in the team
What is happening at Palmerston
surely we cannot be that skint?

So Stirling going to Dumbarton and Thomas to us permanently is fine, but the same moves on a temporary basis are "absolutely ridiculous"? 
Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Why is that ridiculous? Thomas will get game time for 3 months with us which will benefit his parent club in the long term. If Stirling is to stay with us then it makes far more sense in my mind to give him game time now.

The difference between a permanent move and a loan is that I'd have no issue developing a player if we were getting the benefit for longer than 3 months.