The Queen of the South thread

29 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Out of inerest apart from Sammon who was our best player today ?

Osman did ok. Erskine and Lawless in parts. He didnt have masses to do but Cerny was dominant in his area too.

Sammon was by an absolute mile your best though. The winner was fortunate and probably harmless without the deflection but he bullied our back line all game and also produced a nice clipped finish for the first. Looked like the player who briefly looked terrific with Kilmarnock a good few years ago.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Osman did ok. Erskine and Lawless in parts. He didnt have masses to do but Cerny was dominant in his area too.

Sammon was by an absolute mile your best though. The winner was fortunate and probably harmless without the deflection but he bullied our back line all game and also produced a nice clipped finish for the first. Looked like the player who briefly looked tertific with Kilmarnock a good few years ago.

Cheers m8

I was planning to cut through any negativity this morning with a good news story about the sign now conveying accurate information about our next home match.

On closer inspection however, it appears that this is not the case.

It actually says that our next home match is against Brechin on 27th January 20178.

Now while having to wait over 18,000 years for our next trip to Palmy might breed some impatience, it should at least mean that Marshall and Jacobs will have recovered from their current injuries.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was planning to cut through any negativity this morning with a good news story about the sign now conveying accurate information about our next home match.

On closer inspection however, it appears that this is not the case.

It actually says that our next home match is against Brechin on 27th January 20178.

Now while having to wait over 18,000 years for our next trip to Palmy might breed some impatience, it should at least mean that Marshall and Jacobs will have recovered from their current injuries.

Oh dear. This sign is becoming a bit of an issue. I agree with you though it's only something simple but get it wrong and it doesn't exactly shout out we are a serious proffesional football club. 

Oh dear. This sign is becoming a bit of an issue. I agree with you though it's only something simple but get it wrong and it doesn't exactly shout out we are a serious proffesional football club. 

Is your spelling mistake there tongue-in-cheek? [emoji14]

How bad is Alan Martin though? What a massive disappointment he’s proven to be.

After the goal, the second biggest cheer of the afternoon was when he actually caught a corner!

I know he’s had his injury problems but you’d think stepping up from PT to FT his fitness would improve as the season went on.

It’s a good thing we didn’t get a last gasp corner to send him up for as there was no way he’d get back in time.

After the goal, the second biggest cheer of the afternoon was when he actually caught a corner!

I know he’s had his injury problems but you’d think stepping up from PT to FT his fitness would improve as the season went on.

It’s a good thing we didn’t get a last gasp corner to send him up for as there was no way he’d get back in time.

Surely Leighfield should be given a chance?!

5 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Surely Leighfield should be given a chance?!

He hasn't done a lot wrong in the games I've seen, but I don't think throwing a young goalkeeper in behind an already young defence is the answer.

Martin should be exactly what we need, an experienced goalkeeper guiding the young defenders through the game.  Instead I think he is the main cause of all the jitters because the defenders simply don't know what he's going to do.  Sometimes he comes out, sometimes he doesn't.  It caused it's own problems but at least with Robinson there was consistency, you knew he was going to come charging out like a maniac.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Didn't do anything wrong yesterday had one great save, still carrying his knee injury from collision with Joe Thomson in training last week, could see him grimace near end of 2nd half when kicking ball from ground.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

He hasn't done a lot wrong in the games I've seen, but I don't think throwing a young goalkeeper in behind an already young defence is the answer.

Martin should be exactly what we need, an experienced goalkeeper guiding the young defenders through the game.  Instead I think he is the main cause of all the jitters because the defenders simply don't know what he's going to do.  Sometimes he comes out, sometimes he doesn't.  It caused it's own problems but at least with Robinson there was consistency, you knew he was going to come charging out like a maniac.

It's just hasn't worked out at all really, I think anyone would have done the same thing and got him in. Perhaps not getting peppered with as many shots as he did at Dumbarton makes him revert back to the mean a bit more but that still doesn't explain why he flat out refuses to come for anything.

46 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

It's just hasn't worked out at all really, I think anyone would have done the same thing and got him in. Perhaps not getting peppered with as many shots as he did at Dumbarton makes him revert back to the mean a bit more but that still doesn't explain why he flat out refuses to come for anything.

For me one of the issues is that after endlessly not coming for anything he then inexplicably does only to revert to type thereafter. 

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Didn't do anything wrong yesterday had one great save, still carrying his knee injury from collision with Joe Thomson in training last week, could see him grimace near end of 2nd half when kicking ball from ground.

Which makes the constant punts forward from goal kicks even more ridiculous! Never do we look to play it out.  Its bloody awful football we are watching.  The defenders have to take their share of the blame for not showing or having the confidence to receive the ball from a goal kick

On 20/01/2018 at 23:31, 19QOS19 said:

I see Mr Robinson hasn't cut out his stupidity. Nudged a Morton striker then kicked out at Oliver. I assume he'll get done for that as it's on camera?

Let's hope so. I still dont reckon he'll stop doing this.

Edited by NOTS

I read a few posts on the QOS mad site and one in particular caught my eye on the subject of Shaun Rooney. Basically the message was saying - when everybody was fit he was often the "odd man out".

Rooney is a player that I really like - fast, strong, and
more than decent on the ball. With those attributes there are a number of positions that he can fill and the one position I wouldn't ask him to fill is SUB. We have a number of limited players who are very unlikely to ever improve - Rooney on the other hand has a lot to offer. He is undoubtedly prone to some poor positional play and rash tackling but surely full time training and coaching is there to develop a player like Rooney? It is much easier to fix the weaknesses than try and inject ability where it simply doesn't exist.

On the subject of Alan Martin - I think a run of games for Leighfield is long overdue.