The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Craig Storie released by Aberdeen.

Lots of players getting released last few days as well as am sure lots of players will be getting loaned out for first team experience,  Just hope our manager has the contacts & can pull off a couple of good signings preferably this week!!

Weather wise I hear that you've got it bad up there.  I'm travelling up from Northampton on Friday.  I know snow can be cleared off the pitch and I'm actually willing to help out with that if it comes to it, but sometimes games get postponed because of poor weather in the surrounding areas.  No-one's mentioned anything so are we all hopeful the game will be ok for Saturday?

49 minutes ago, doonhamer64 said:

Weather wise I hear that you've got it bad up there.  I'm travelling up from Northampton on Friday.  I know snow can be cleared off the pitch and I'm actually willing to help out with that if it comes to it, but sometimes games get postponed because of poor weather in the surrounding areas.  No-one's mentioned anything so are we all hopeful the game will be ok for Saturday?

If it were 3pm today, I'd say the game would be off.  There's a couple of cm which has fallen overnight and that's normally enough to get games postponed these days.

Weather forecast for tomorrow and Saturday is better, so I'd assume this one goes ahead...

28 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Personally, my opinion only, at the moment I would say the game won't make it, not because of the pitch but because of the travelling/surrounds etc. But I hope I'm wrong!

There is no great issue around Dumfries surely? Travel seems fine to me. Main roads are fine. I am working in Castle Douglas this week and the A75 is clear. Palmerston has a couple of cm of snow on it but that wont take much shifting. If it doesnt go naturally they will move it.

I know roads are bad North of Moffat but the motorway is open now and players are going up and down to training. Unless we are expecting more bad weather I dont really expect any problems.

At the moment game is under no danger, getting an another update later but fingers crossed

Whilst he'd be superior to all of the options we have (wild assumption having not seen Beerman or Cameron yet) left-back really isn't a problem area for us.  So I would say the Holt story is a non-starter.

Is he not out of the team due to falling out with McCann rather than anything to do with his ability?  I would have thought he would pick up a team in the top flight if he wanted to.  Cracking player who always seemed to do well the few occasions I watched Dundee.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Whilst he'd be superior to all of the options we have (wild assumption having not seen Beerman or Cameron yet) left-back really isn't a problem area for us.  So I would say the Holt story is a non-starter.

Is he not out of the team due to falling out with McCann rather than anything to do with his ability?  I would have thought he would pick up a team in the top flight if he wanted to.  Cracking player who always seemed to do well the few occasions I watched Dundee.

We signed a guy, Jon Aurtenexte, who was a first-team player at Bilbao and is way too good to play for us - easily the best fullback I've seen at Dundee. Holt eventually got dropped after a few mistakes (and to shake up our poor defensive record) and Basque Jon has excelled. Jon will likely be away in the summer you'd imagine but I don't think Holt's style really suits McCann, he has a defensive error in him and in possession, he isn't the most composed and often panics with the ball (although can have a good delivery on him in the final third) which is a huge issue with the style of football McCann is trying to enforce. Rumour has it, we've already got a guy, Nathan Ralph, targetted for a PCA already.

It's unfortunate as I think he is finally relatively popular in the Dundee support but it looks like he'll have a tough job fighting his way back into the team. I imagine he will get himself a bottom half side but right now, will maybe look for a loan until the end of the season to get himself in the shop window. He's very much a confidence player and needs to have his head in the right place or he can fall to pieces.

19 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Lots of players getting released last few days as well as am sure lots of players will be getting loaned out for first team experience,  Just hope our manager has the contacts & can pull off a couple of good signings preferably this week!!

Very good start with centre back Kyle Cameron joining on loan till end of season from Newcastle.

6 hours ago, doonhamer64 said:

Don't think there will be any problem with the game on sat the more rain that falls the better to clear the snow off the park failing that the machinery will be on the park clearing it tomorrow.

Looks likely that Lyle won't be fit until the Brechin city game, and Fordyce is just back training this week according to the manager who also said in his interview this morning that he was activly trying to get players in that would strengthen the squad that is still short in numbers. He worked quick today and managed to get centre half Kyle Cameron in from Newcastle United (who was getting looked at by Hearts apparently earlier in the week) to replace Kerr could really do with another Forward in to replace Kane before the weekend too.