The Queen of the South thread

No one. I don't think I've implied anyone has. My point was that even the biggest diehard wouldn't think this squad would get into the playoffs and given the rumblings just now it's not looking good that we will significantly strengthen in this window.

Personally I think we only need about 3 players, be it loan signings. Don't think its that bad that we need to significantly strengthen.

How many games did he play in the first team against top quality opposition?

Not many. Doesn't that tell you everything? Smith did a great job convincing folk it was a mistake to let him go. It might have been worth holding onto him another season or two but he didn't have that same raw talent Reilly did. I think most folk saw a player in Gav.

Smith's rapid pace made him look better than he actually was. At the time he was on the books I had time to attend a lot of 20's games. I always thought Smith was quite a lazy player.

He's a local boy (very local, given he grew up in the same scheme as me) and I sincerely hope he makes it at a good level but I can't see him going much further than League 1 or 2.

I wonder if our millionaire Chairman could help out ....?

If simple maintenance tasks can’t be carried out at our crumbling ground by our building company owner chairman what chance do you think that he will make substantial funds available to strengthen the team?!!!!!

Right what' going on at the club. Slo committe Facebook page advertising this week' game had a sentence "massive game financially". Why is the finances of the club in the spotlight at the moment. I realise crowd numbers are down but we have a threadbare squad the arena takes in money and there are other projects going on I assume all to turn a coin. Are we really that hard up?

Right what' going on at the club. Slo committe Facebook page advertising this week' game had a sentence "massive game financially". Why is the finances of the club in the spotlight at the moment. I realise crowd numbers are down but we have a threadbare squad the arena takes in money and there are other projects going on I assume all to turn a coin. Are we really that hard up?

It’s the only cup competition where decent money can be made especially if you progress and get chosen for a live TV game

The Scottish Cup is always a massive financial opportunity for clubs our size tbh. I wouldn't be reading too much into that.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Scottish Cup is always a massive financial opportunity for clubs our size tbh. I wouldn't be reading too much into that.

Financial worries have been expressed on here recently about no money to sign players etc so I suppose it' just a little concerning 

Financial worries have been expressed on here recently about no money to sign players etc so I suppose it' just a little concerning 

Yeah but even if those concerns hadn't been raised I'd have expected a similar comment. I think the best outcome for wee clubs like us in the Scottish Cup is to get a few pounds in the bank. I'd love another cup run but I'm not expecting that any time soon if ever again, so a good income is the next best thing.

15 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

It’s the only cup competition where decent money can be made especially if you progress and get chosen for a live TV game

Don’t think it is the only competition where decent money can be made, I think until this season, more prize money could be made from the League Cup. Or, if there was a difference, it wasn’t much.

The tv money for live games has also been reduced this season from something like 80 odd thousand to 30 odd thousand. But the difference has been put into the prize money pool. So the Scottish Cup probably does have better prize money than the League Cup now, but being chosen for a live game isn’t as big a deal as it was.

I’m not sure what the SLO mean by massive game financially. Do they mean this particular game will bring a lot in? Or do they mean that winning the game has the potential for big financial rewards? If it is the latter, I would have thought fans would have more interest in beating a Premiership team, getting into the 5th round with the possibility of another quarter final, given a favourable draw. Or the possibility of an even bigger game in the next round. Although the financial benefits are always welcome, normally when fans talk about the Cup, it is mostly to do with the excitement and progress etc. However, I’ve not seen the facebook thing, so maybe they talk about that too.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Don’t think it is the only competition where decent money can be made, I think until this season, more prize money could be made from the League Cup. Or, if there was a difference, it wasn’t much.

The tv money for live games has also been reduced this season from something like 80 odd thousand to 30 odd thousand. But the difference has been put into the prize money pool. So the Scottish Cup probably does have better prize money than the League Cup now, but being chosen for a live game isn’t as big a deal as it was.

I’m not sure what the SLO mean by massive game financially. Do they mean this particular game will bring a lot in? Or do they mean that winning the game has the potential for big financial rewards? If it is the latter, I would have thought fans would have more interest in beating a Premiership team, getting into the 5th round with the possibility of another quarter final, given a favourable draw. Or the possibility of an even bigger game in the next round. Although the financial benefits are always welcome, normally when fans talk about the Cup, it is mostly to do with the excitement and progress etc. However, I’ve not seen the facebook thing, so maybe they talk about that too.

An absolutely massive game for the club this weekend, a win could make such a difference financially. Please try and get there in numbers to get behind the boys

That's the sentence direct quote. Maybe I looking to much into it that I think the club is in financial trouble.