The Queen of the South thread

Having watched  Queens for forty odd years optimism does not come easy. Huge plus today was Dobbie signing a contract extension.  Sadly the outlook is not favourable unless we make signings who are capable of making a significant impact. Realise we have players out injured and money remains tight, consequently we are very  much on the periphery of the play offs.  Attendances have dropped and less income restricts our ability to recruit better players. Falkirk regularly get 4k plus and the Pars last two crowds have exceeded 7k so I guess the question I am asking is maybe, just maybe we are almost over achieving. Thank fuq Brechin are in our league. Don't worry I shall forever keep the faith. Mon the South.

24 minutes ago, Jan mosniack said:

Having watched  Queens for forty odd years optimism does not come easy. Huge plus today was Dobbie signing a contract extension.  Sadly the outlook is not favourable unless we make signings who are capable of making a significant impact. Realise we have players out injured and money remains tight, consequently we are very  much on the periphery of the play offs.  Attendances have dropped and less income restricts our ability to recruit better players. Falkirk regularly get 4k plus and the Pars last two crowds have exceeded 7k so I guess the question I am asking is maybe, just maybe we are almost over achieving. Thank fuq Brechin are in our league. Don't worry I shall forever keep the faith. Mon the South.

None of this is new, though. What is new, is a good number of players having already left, or looking like leaving in January, with no sign of them being replaced. If they are replaced, then the delay will turn out to be a bit of an annoyance, meaning the dropped points could mean we miss out on the play-offs and we may also get knocked out of the Cup.  If they aren’t replaced, then the position is far more serious.

I am sure Naysmith would love to get new signings in but you need money to do that something that Queens don't have .

We are lucky to still be full time with the poor crowds we get .

Have to hope that a young player surprised us all and makes a difference .

None of this is new, though. What is new, is a good number of players having already left, or looking like leaving in January, with no sign of them being replaced. If they are replaced, then the delay will turn out to be a bit of an annoyance, meaning the dropped points could mean we miss out on the play-offs and we may also get knocked out of the Cup.  If they aren’t replaced, then the position is far more serious.

Last season we recruited poorly in the summer, and probably had to spend a bit on the salvage operation Naysmith undertook in January. Presumably, as you say, the plan this season was to get the recruitment right in the summer and get the points on the board early doors before dismantling the squad in January.

It’s a bit self-defeating. An outsider looking at the table would be half expecting a push for the playoffs, and a realistic chance of beating a poor Partick in the cup. Neither now look likely to materialise due to the belt tightening. This is a miserable prospect for regulars, and another season petering out to nothing will be completely unattractive to any potential new fans.

It is what it is.

Just now, Northfield 53 said:

I am sure Naysmith would love to get new signings in but you need money to do that something that Queens don't have .

We are lucky to still be full time with the poor crowds we get .

Have to hope that a young player surprised us all and makes a difference .

But we knew before the season started that the crowds would be low. The drop in crowds is therefore not a surprise. And even if they have fallen a bit further than expected, it surely can’t mean we suddenly have to get rid of players and not replace them?  Nobody said at the start of the season that some players would only be here until January because we couldn’t afford to pay them for the whole season. So, either that isn’t happening or something is going seriously wrong.

We do seem to be in a grim state at the moment as no mention of any replacements coming in by gn in his post Match interview to me he cut a dejected figure in his interview that his hands are tied and he's now being forced to play the kids which sucks for us loyal fans it's not our fault that half the town would rather do other things on Saturdays or take one if the numerous buses to watch the Glasgow teams.

9 minutes ago, Qos88 said:

it's not our fault that half the town would rather do other things on Saturdays or take one if the numerous buses to watch the Glasgow teams.

I am always surprised at this type of statement - how many fans from Dumfries  go to watch Glasgow teams each week? I'd be surprised if its more than 100 on a regular basis maybe another 100 floating who will go occasionally. Half the town would be 15 000. It's no where near this number. The bigger problem is armchair fans who will watch any team or sport - football, rugby which will start in a few weeks time, darts, snooker etc

Edited by queenslad

1 hour ago, Jan mosniack said:

Got to say well done on tying down Dobbie, for I presume another year.

Great player at this level

I am always surprised at this type of statement - how many fans from Dumfries  go to watch Glasgow teams each week? I'd be surprised if its more than 100 on a regular basis maybe another 100 floating who will go occasionally. Half the town would be 15 000. It's no where near this number. The bigger problem is armchair fans who will watch any team or sport - football, rugby which will start in a few weeks time, darts, snooker etc

Yeh maybe half was over the top but you get my point it annoys me tbh but you got factor in the other areas around Dumfries if you include them but as you say armchair fans nowadays a know we're a rather be taking in a game live can't be replicated on a TV screen it's frustrating as to me we're a sleeping giant but can't blame the board as not really sure more we can do to get the fans through the door thank god for the arena it could be keeping us afloat

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Last season we recruited poorly in the summer, and probably had to spend a bit on the salvage operation Naysmith undertook in January. Presumably, as you say, the plan this season was to get the recruitment right in the summer and get the points on the board early doors before dismantling the squad in January.

It’s a bit self-defeating. An outsider looking at the table would be half expecting a push for the playoffs, and a realistic chance of beating a poor Partick in the cup. Neither now look likely to materialise due to the belt tightening. This is a miserable prospect for regulars, and another season petering out to nothing will be completely unattractive to any potential new fans.

It is what it is.

Agree with most of the recent posts but my question remains, ie do we have unrealistic expectations?

That's probably true a think the fans do or a do as a see queens as a team that should be up there challenging but we can't afford to have the squad of a Dundee Utd a st mirren or a Dunfermline but with a fully fit squad on out day wete as good if not better than a livi or a Morton Inverness

Most people have came out and said that the promotion playoffs are the expectation as they have done every season since they've come up. That's not an outrageous  target, there hasn't been much between teams from 3rd to 7th for the most part this year.  It's still achievable and it was a first half that you'd say we've done fine, not necessarily outstanding, but better than the previous season at that point. Whilst it's not particularly positive to say we hope to be 6/7/8th and anything higher is a bonus at the start, I doubt it would make any difference to whether people turn up or not. 

The problem lies in having such a small squad and not being able  to rotate properly or don't trust the replacements to do a job.  We don't keep the ball and eventually guys getting stuck more than most teams in is going to wear a team down over time. F,ordyce played  in largely not his ideal position and put in a hell of a shift  each week and he paid the price by getting a hamstring injury which Naysmith put down to being overworked. Jacobs in a combative role is always at a risk of getting in a collision so as unlucky as it was, it needed to be legislated for better.  Even other players  if aren't getting injured are going to run out of steam especially after a very busy run of fixtures. 

Naysmith publicly at least, is accepting that periods like this are going to happen and it's up to him and the survivors to work through this rather than slagging the board for not giving him more money. A squad of our size was always a couple of injuries away from a crisis and now we have 5  senior players out plus another who has  fallen out with the manager and and another 2 are going back to Perth. So for once it is reasonable to be concerned if there is no  transfer activity and Shaun Rooney is playing centre half against a Premiership side.

I noticed that GN never mentioned Stirling in his post match interview, so we can only guess what's happening with him.

I reckon Akubuine should be utilised as he has only played once as a sub vs. Brechin City in the first match of the league season in August.

Stirling was on the Queens subs bench last weekend at Livingston and didn't bother warming up during the half time interval that has led to rumours of him falling out with Naysmith. Also no mention of him to Sandra Brown when Gary was asked about when missing players were due to return.