The Queen of the South thread

It is good that the Club responded to the Lyle story - the issue needed to be cleared up.

On the subject of another fans favourite - Danny Carmichael - what exactly is going on here?

Various rumours have circulated on this site but very little concrete information has been forthcoming. It seems as though every projected deadline for his return comes and goes and there then seems to be another few weeks recuperation required.

I fully appreciate that trying to predict when injuries heal is not an exact science but In terms of communication it surely can't be that difficult to give a realistic update :-

- what is the injury would be a good start?
- why has it kept the player out so long
- when is he likely to return?

47 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It is good that the Club responded to the Lyle story - the issue needed to be cleared up.

On the subject of another fans favourite - Danny Carmichael - what exactly is going on here?

Various rumours have circulated on this site but very little concrete information has been forthcoming. It seems as though every projected deadline for his return comes and goes and there then seems to be another few weeks recuperation required.

I fully appreciate that trying to predict when injuries heal is not an exact science but In terms of communication it surely can't be that difficult to give a realistic update :-

- what is the injury would be a good start?
- why has it kept the player out so long
- when is he likely to return?

Danny has had more than one injury this season, the latest being a hamstring problem picked up in training just after he returned from a groin problem. I am sure one of the manager's recent previews or post match interviews clarified the injury.  Think it was one of the post match ones with Sandra. I remember him saying it.

His interview with Alive Radio yesterday put Danny and Ky Jacobs both at a mid February return if all is well. He also said he hoped Fordyce and Lyle would be fit for Thistle and Marshall by start of February.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

It's certainly a view some of our fans share.  Personally I don't think he was even the best centre back at the club, for me that is Calum Fordyce.  I'd struggle to separate Jason Kerr and Darren Brownlie based on what I have seen, and Brownlie is a regular target of our boo-boys.
Whilst Kerr clearly has a bright future, I'm not convinced he is ready to start games in the top league.  Then again I'm not exactly sure what standard is required for that.  The best comparison I could make would be with Mark Durnan who was one of the better centre halves to have played with us and in my opinion far better than Kerr.  He struggled in the Premiership with Dundee United.

Having played centre half back in the day at a reasonable level, I could not agree with you post more !!

21 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Beats me how two years after leaving Queens for lower division football Beany is now back in our division at Dumbarton yet Del can’t get a game for us.

Russell is willing to play part time football, was too good for a shambolic Airdrie side and was a free agent to a side lacking in attacking players. Lyle has been a regular up until this season and has had competition from the best player to put on a Queens shirt, a loan player that has played well, and Dykes who regardless of what people say has played well when he's up front. HTH

Edited by Sloop John B

55 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Beats me how two years after leaving Queens for lower division football Beany is now back in our division at Dumbarton yet Del can’t get a game for us.

I fail to see the comparison here. Even if for a second we accept the suggestion that the two players can be directly compared (though they didn't really play the same position for us) being able to get a game for a lower placed side with a shortage of strikers at the moment isn't proof of anything at all.

Anyway, Del hasn't been unable to get a game for us. He's found starts hard to come by recently but was starting games and being a used sub if not starting before that. He hasn't started since the Livingston debacle at Palmerston. He was ill the Monday following that and missed the Dumbarton game altogether in which Kane changed the game for us after coming on as sub. Kane then started v Inverness and then Dunfermline where he was terrific and has had the place since, looking pretty good for most of that and scoring a couple more goals. He's away after Saturday though. For me, if Del is patient then his chance will clearly come again but no manager in the world is going to guarantee any player a starting position every week.  He's injured at the moment anyway so wouldn't be playing whether Kane is here or not.

For me, if Del is patient then his chance will clearly come again but no manager in the world is going to guarantee any player a starting position every week. 

OK maybe not a direct comparison but there seems to be a theme that we’re not overly good at hanging onto players who could still do a job for you.

I think you’ve put a more positive spin on it than the manager who’s basically said he’s a squad player - he’s on our legends flag for fs sake! - call him an impact player, a go to player or whatever else you need to keep his ego happy but don’t call him a squad player.

14 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

OK maybe not a direct comparison but there seems to be a theme that we’re not overly good at hanging onto players who could still do a job for you.

I think you’ve put a more positive spin on it than the manager who’s basically said he’s a squad player - he’s on our legends flag for fs sake! - call him an impact player, a go to player or whatever else you need to keep his ego happy but don’t call him a squad player.

Except he didnt call him that and you are the only person to interpret what he said that way. Which was a fairly bizarre way to read it.

Except he didnt call him that and you are the only person to interpret what he said that way. Which was a fairly bizarre way to read it.

Oh yeah now I see that “playing within the squad” clearly means something different to “squad player”.
Must be down to me not having my SFA coaching badge.

48 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Oh yeah now I see that “playing within the squad” clearly means something different to “squad player”.
Must be down to me not having my SFA coaching badge.

And if the manager said he had spoken to Stephen Dobbie to clarify the role he sees him playing with in the squad would you interpret that the same way? You are reading it the way you have decided you want to read it.

11 hours ago, Radford said:

Gary Naysmith and Tommy Wright both saying Jason Kerr is the best centre back in the Championship. True, debatable, exaggeration? 

Exaggeration.

He's done well here and we'll be weaker for his departure; but some have gone overboard, not least SD with his emphatic assertion that only injury can deny him caps.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Exaggeration.

He's done well here and we'll be weaker for his departure; but some have gone overboard, not least SD with his emphatic assertion that only injury can deny him caps.

Yes, because thats exactly what I said......

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He is remarkably good for his age. If he avoids serious injury and continues developing he will play for Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Are Queens not traveling up on the Friday for the Inverness game .

Going to be a early start and a long day going up on up on Saturday not ideal preparation for what is going to be a difficult game 

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves!!!