The Queen of the South thread

Absolutely disgraceful treatment of a real legend.

Another experienced player rooted in QOS sidelined and discarded by this 'no-mark' manager who has no idea about proper footballers.

This is not down to the Board, it is the Manager who has chosen not to play him regularly and left him marginalised whilst he lauds and plays Dykes at every opportunity.

I bet if you were to ask Dobbie who his preferred partner would be it would be Del.  If he had been utilised properly both he and we would have scored more goals this season.

It really sums Naysmith up.

Quite clearly Del has questioned his omission, as many players do, but Naysmith obviously cannot deal with any challenge to him and just decides to get rid as he has done with all the others - not good Management.

Of course there are some players who need to be shipped out but the legend that is DEREK LYLE is not one of them.

He is a positive influence all around the Club and a great example to the younger players.

His quotes in the article sum up his feelings about the Club and situation.

Disgraceful that he doesn't get the opportunity to reach 121 goals or to receive the send-off that he truly deserves and that the fans would thoroughly enjoy.

It's Naysmith that should be going so the only thing I can hope for is that along with his style of play this matter will start to turn more and more fans against him.

Is Del really injured or was he left out of the squad on Saturday because Naysmith 'spat the dummy' ?    Certainly Del hasn't and exhibits a professional. dignified and measured response.

I never thought it would come to this but that's me done for this season or until this so-called Manager gets what he deserves.   He has ripped the heart out of the Club since his arrival.

qos1919 says it's Dobbie that's  keeping him going as there's not much else - sad but true.

Lyle has started 6 league games this season and has got on as a sub 11 times, scoring 5  league goals.
Lyle has started 2 Challenge Cup games and has got on as a sub once, scoring 2 goals.
Lyle has started 2 League Cup games and has got on as a sub twice, scoring no goals.
Lyle has started 2 Scottish Cup games with no sub appearances, scoring 1 goal. 

Go away you pest

You're trying too hard. You asked if I'd rather have 2 grafters in their rather than a creative player and I said yes only if we were to lose Lyle and Kane but I'd want a creative player behind him.
2 up front with McFadden playing in a CM role would be disastrous. He had one good game, calm down.
I know counter attacking football is part of the game, that's why the midfield have to work hard and run further than the length of themselves. McFadden would get walked all over in their.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and I like 2 CM grafters, creative player just in front (false 10) with 1 up top. Get over yourself, it's pathetic.

Dykes playing is not impacting whether or not Derek Lyle plays, Kane is playing ahead of Lyle at the moment, and tbh it's justified.

I don't want Del to leave, he's clearly still good enough, and is only 4 or 5 months away from retiring. He should be finishing his career with us. However, the quotes from him only give one side of the story, we don't know how the conversation went. Lyle is understandably a bit frustrated at not getting the game time he wants, and he's questioned the manager about it. It would be weak management for GN to just say "you're right, you'll start every game from now", so he's obviously not going to have promised more. It's how Del has reacted to that that we don't know, has he asked to leave to get game time, or has GN been the one to suggest it?

It doesn't look good, regardless, but I'm hesitant to crucify GN for it. 

There's clearly something a miss behind the scenes. No word of the AGM yet. I'm sure by this time last year we had the necessary paperwork. No sign of Dobbie signing a new contract or anything to cheer us up on the transfer in front. Just concerned that this is the precursor to part time football. That being said with crowds falling the BOD have a difficult task maintaining full time football with all the associated costs. Worrying.

It’s crazy how we could go from having probably one of the better striking situations with a lot of choice with four different and capable forwards  to just Dobbie, Dykes and Fergusson.  Everything about Lyle running to the press seems off.  

Am am I right in saying that Marshall/Brownlie and Jacobs have been at the club the longest now? (ignoring Dobbies first spell). Lyle will also be the last of the 2012/13 side to leave I don’t know if they were paid at a more financially generous time and  perhaps Naysmith has been tasked with cutting the budget but whilst Robinson, Higgins, Dowie and Millar could be justified, the timing of this and Lyles legend status leaves a sour taste. 

The bench of fallow youngsters isn’t a new thing, it’s always been a cheap alternative to having a squad . You get the feeling that there’s a malaise at the club, the big plans  they had seem to have slowed up unless someone else pays for it, the squad keeps on shrinking, the managers come and go, the style of football deteriorates with worse squads and yet the expectations remain the same.  The last 3 seasons have each had some off the field fuckery, I can’t help but feel that there Is more to this than a manager simply  not rating a club legend.

Trying too hard to do what? It was you who had a pop at my post (twice), not the other way around. I've only questioned why you thought my suggestion was so ridiculous. You started by saying it's because he would only last 60 minutes but you were swiftly shot down when someone commented on him lasting 120 minutes. You then said it's because he wouldn't tackle but I pointed out creative CM generally don't do a lot of tackling. You're now saying it would be disastrous and that he'd be walked all over but you're basing it on what? Yet you'd be happy to play Dobbie as a lone striker which has been shown in the past to not work.

"Get over yourself, it's pathetic"

What are you going on about? I find it confusing that you're being so aggresive with your comments given you were on here a few weeks back whinging about folk "jumping down your throat on here".

If you're going to be so dismissive of folks opinions on here you can't expect them not to react ;)

I suspect the small number who go to ICT will dish out some abuse to GN.
Support for Del would be good. Having a go at those who take "his place" in the team would be a pity.

I wouldn't have a go at Dykes. He's hardly going to refuse a start. I would have a go at GN for picking Dykes ahead of him however.

If we are being brutally honest here Lyle's impact off the bench in the last 2-3 months has been minimal. Difficult decisions have to be made in football and everyone no matter how good they were has their end point in football. Im not sure had he been starting games he would have had more rhythm as its difficult being an impact sub but from a pure playing point of view if he wasn't such a legend Im sure others would agree hes been disappointing these last few months.

Nope nope nope! When I’ve seen him coming on he always seems to offer more threat than the likes of Dykes and until recently Kane (who’s off anyway).
Really cannot understand this decision and agree with those suggestion it could be the last straw for Naysmith.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wouldn't have a go at Dykes. He's hardly going to refuse a start. I would have a go at GN for picking Dykes ahead of him however.

Absolutely whatever the issue is with Lyle it isn`t the fault of Dykes.

That said i can`t help but feel that some of our fans might let their frustrations re Lyle over spill into an increased level of abuse for a player who many don`t rate.

Who knows.

Absolutely whatever the issue is with Lyle it isn`t the fault of Dykes.
That said i can`t help but feel that some of our fans might let their frustrations re Lyle over spill into an increased level of abuse for a player who many don`t rate.
Who knows.

You're right. When I say something like "unreal Dykes gets a game ahead of Lyle" I'm not trying to have a dig at the guy. It's absolutely a pop at GN for his selection.

I know what you're saying though but I'd hope those questioning Dykes' selection ahead of Lyle are angry at GN and not Dykes himself.

33 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Dykes playing is not impacting whether or not Derek Lyle plays, Kane is playing ahead of Lyle at the moment, and tbh it's justified.

I don't want Del to leave, he's clearly still good enough, and is only 4 or 5 months away from retiring. He should be finishing his career with us. However, the quotes from him only give one side of the story, we don't know how the conversation went. Lyle is understandably a bit frustrated at not getting the game time he wants, and he's questioned the manager about it. It would be weak management for GN to just say "you're right, you'll start every game from now", so he's obviously not going to have promised more. It's how Del has reacted to that that we don't know, has he asked to leave to get game time, or has GN been the one to suggest it?

It doesn't look good, regardless, but I'm hesitant to crucify GN for it. 

I don't think Naysmith's management of Lyle can be criticised too much.  No-one can argue with Kane or Dobbie being selected ahead of him based on their respective form this season.  These are the only two people Lyle is in direct competition with for a starting place.  Criticising Dykes being included ahead of him is as relevant as complaining Alan Martin is getting in the team instead of Lyle.

Equally Lyle is well within his rights to speak to the manager and air his grievances about a lack of game time, this is part and parcel in football.

It is the "well if you don't like it you know where the door is" response that leaves a bad taste, and doesn't make much sense given his stature at the club, and expected retirement at the end of the season.

I too am hesitant to criticise the manager as it makes no sense for him to want to weaken the squad any more than it already is.  I don't think many managers have an upper limit to how many players they think they need and I reckon most would continue to sign them whilst given the permission to do so.  To me it looks like a cost cutting exercise by the board.  A risky strategy that might save them a few months wages, but end up costing them considerable good will from the supporters.  The last time similarly unpopular decisions needed made they brought Mark Robertson in to take the flak so they have previous for diverting blame.  Until we hear more I'm more inclined to blame the board than the manager, but it will suit them if Naysmith becomes the target.

Just as an aside I don't think Lyle comes across too well out of this with the way he has gone running to the press.  It sounds he's been treated like shit by the club, but if he loved them as much as he claims he would surely have tried to sort this out behind closed doors?

terrible decision to let del go if true, but cant blame the young boy dykes for del being told to leave. can see where GN is coming from keeping dykes as he is versatile and can play numerous positions where as del is competing for one position, its more that kane is keeping him out the team and not dykes.

if del, kane and kerr all go we need atleast 5 new players, a winger, centre half, centre mid and 2 strikers. going to be a tough end of season if we dont 

I don't think Naysmith's management of Lyle can be criticised too much.  No-one can argue with Kane or Dobbie being selected ahead of him based on their respective form this season.  These are the only two people Lyle is in direct competition with for a starting place.  Criticising Dykes being included ahead of him is as relevant as complaining Alan Martin is getting in the team instead of Lyle.

I would have to disagree with that. Dykes has started 11 games up front and Kane 13. With Kane leaving I'd say Lyle will be in direct competition with Dykes as Dobbie starting is a given. If Lyle does indeed leave then I fully expect our strikeforce to be Dobbie and Dykes the rest of the season.