The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, gogs said:

There is no excuse whatsoever for this happening unsure of the wording is it next match or next league match even if it's the latter change it to Cup lol

I will make some enquiries and see if it can be changed. Obviously the company who deal with the sign are unaware of the cup tie for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, QOSQOS said:

Just been talking to a Rangers fan who thinks Beerman is a great signing for us.  Although all the back 4 performed creditably yesterday. It will be good to have cover, if any defenders had got injured yesterday, not sure what the plan was.

Ewan Gourlay was on the bench and is a defender, usually a right back though he can play centre back. I presume if Rooney had been injured he would have directly replaced him and if either centre half had been injured then Rooney would have shifted in there with Gourlay going to right back. 

Another option would be Rankin to left back and Mercer back over to the right and either Bell or Akubuine on in central midfield. 

Or possibly Dykes might have dropped in to left back.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

A chaser rather than someone with ability? So a Stewart Kean over a Stephen Dobbie? ;)

Rankin doesn't exactly do what you're suggesting he does. I've seen him close down the opposition on occasion but certainly not on a regular basis throughout the game. With Thomson and Jacobs to come back we have two players who do that side of the work anyway so could have afforded a player who does less running in beside them and I'd say McFadden's ability to dictate play and find a good pass is far higher than Rankin's.

You have misinterpreted what I said. Well done on trying though! 

I obviously don't rate McFadden that well so yes I would have a work horse in the team before him. 

You have misinterpreted what I said. Well done on trying though! 

I obviously don't rate McFadden that well so yes I would have a work horse in the team before him. 

I've not misinterpreted anything you've said. You said you'd rather have someone who'd chase everything over someone with more footballing ability. I made a tongue-in-cheek comment about 2 players who fit both your criteria. But on a serious note commented that we have two midfielders in Jacobs and Thomson who do the chasing so why would you want another one rather than someone with ability, especially when it blatantly obvious we need a CM who can take hold of the game for us?

Your initial reply made the suggestion of McFadden playing CM seem an utterly ridiculous idea and my argument is that it's hardly the maddest suggestion ever. Especially when you consider McFadden showed far more composure on the ball in his short spell than Rankin has all season.

5 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Yeah, but who would we punt aimless high balls up to if he was played in defence?!

This is the easy option for poor players punt aimless high balls up then go from there  .We really need someone in midfield who can pass a ball.

If we lose Kane and Kerr surely we must replace them I hope we won't try and replace them with boys from the under 20 team .

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've not misinterpreted anything you've said. You said you'd rather have someone who'd chase everything over someone with more footballing ability. I made a tongue-in-cheek comment about 2 players who fit both your criteria. But on a serious note commented that we have two midfielders in Jacobs and Thomson who do the chasing so why would you want another one rather than someone with ability, especially when it blatantly obvious we need a CM who can take hold of the game for us?

Your initial reply made the suggestion of McFadden playing CM seem an utterly ridiculous idea and my argument is that it's hardly the maddest suggestion ever. Especially when you consider McFadden showed far more composure on the ball in his short spell than Rankin has all season.

The whole club are striving for a play off finish, it’s mentioned year on year. So I’d be very disappointed if the club left Naysmith short if/when Kerr and Kane leave they are not replaced. Naysmith has made good use of loan market, so hoping he can do so again.

The whole club are striving for a play off finish, it’s mentioned year on year. So I’d be very disappointed if the club left Naysmith short if/when Kerr and Kane leave they are not replaced. Naysmith has made good use of loan market, so hoping he can do so again.
Nail on head .

We desperately need signings, before the Partick game for sure but not sure who’s cheap enough for us to bring in. With injuries taking their toll, the team for Partick looks like Martin, Mercer, Rooney, Brownlie, Beerman, Murray, Thomson, Rankin, Dykes, Dobbie, Lyle. 

seen that Stirling has been told he can find another club, hence why he’s not playing. Wouldn’t see why rangers and Celtic wouldn’t allow us to play beerman or thomson in the cup, doubt they’d get a game for their parent clubs in it

We desperately need signings, before the Partick game for sure but not sure who’s cheap enough for us to bring in. With injuries taking their toll, the team for Partick looks like Martin, Mercer, Rooney, Brownlie, Beerman, Murray, Thomson, Rankin, Dykes, Dobbie, Lyle. 

seen that Stirling has been told he can find another club, hence why he’s not playing. Wouldn’t see why rangers and Celtic wouldn’t allow us to play beerman or thomson in the cup, doubt they’d get a game for their parent clubs in it

Where are you seeing that Re. Stirling?

12 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Beerman and Thomson will be able to play in cup games I would think. Pretty sure the likes of Stokes was a loan player when Hibs won the cup.

The difficulty will be that Celtic might stop Thomson playing for us against them in the final :o

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Beerman and Thomson will be able to play in cup games I would think. Pretty sure the likes of Stokes was a loan player when Hibs won the cup.

The difficulty will be that Celtic might stop Thomson playing for us against them in the final :o

Joking aside, it is actually against competition rules for any loan player to play against his parent club in any of the cups or League. They removed all that doubt about three years ago. 

8 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

May I be the first to congratulate Andy Stirling on his new 5 year contract with the club.

Really thought we were getting a really good player in Andy Stirling.

Has been given a few chances to play but has never really played a good game for us all he had done is score at Livi.

Has a 2 year contract so don't think he will be in a hurry to leave