The Queen of the South thread

Beerman is a great signing who ticks many boxes. he provides versatility and cover in defense whilst offering us the width on the wing we crave. He looked excellent going forward for Rangers but defensively not great. Having listened to Naysmiths podcast it seemed to me that even though Mercer had his best game and looked far better at lb Naysmith seemed eager to get him moved back to right which is strange as he has never looked as good there. 

29 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Beerman is a great signing who ticks many boxes. he provides versatility and cover in defense whilst offering us the width on the wing we crave. He looked excellent going forward for Rangers but defensively not great. Having listened to Naysmiths podcast it seemed to me that even though Mercer had his best game and looked far better at lb Naysmith seemed eager to get him moved back to right which is strange as he has never looked as good there. 

Mercer hasn't done much wrong all season in either full back position. He got crucified by Morgan at Palmerston last season (he's neither the first nor last to have Morgan do that to them) and then written off by our fans afterwards. It probably affected his confidence and form at the time. It took a while to get back in but I thought he was very good at Hamilton in the League Cup game but he got injured right after and lost his place again. He's had a long wait for another chance but he's done fine since getting it, even coping really pretty well with Morgan a couple of weeks ago. Coped better than Dundee United did with him anyway!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mercer hasn't done much wrong all season in either full back position. He got crucified by Morgan at Palmerston last season (he's neither the first nor last to have Morgan to that to them) and then written off by our fans afterwards. It probably affected his confidence and form at the time. It took a while to get back in but I thought he was very good at Hamilton in the League Cup game but he got injured right after and lost his place again. He's had a long wait for another chance but he's done fine since getting it, even coping really pretty well with Morgan a couple of weeks ago. Coped better than Dundee United did with him anyway!

He has done fine pretty much every game this season, but last week on the left he actually stepped it up a notch and was beating players and showing real composure. That was his first real standout performance for us imo. I remember there was another brief spell he played on the left and I also remember commenting then how much better he looked. 

Mercer hasn't done much wrong all season in either full back position. He got crucified by Morgan at Palmerston last season (he's neither the first nor last to have Morgan do that to them) and then written off by our fans afterwards. It probably affected his confidence and form at the time. It took a while to get back in but I thought he was very good at Hamilton in the League Cup game but he got injured right after and lost his place again. He's had a long wait for another chance but he's done fine since getting it, even coping really pretty well with Morgan a couple of weeks ago. Coped better than Dundee United did with him anyway!

100% this.

Hoping we go with defence :-

Mercer Kerr Brownlie Beerman

Until Fordyce and Marshall come back at least which hopefully will be sooner rather than later. At least that back four on paper has a better balance, with a natural left footer at least. Also gives us a bit of cover on the bench with Shaun Rooney, who in all honesty, I want to be convinced by, but I’m not.

As said a winger is needed, and if Kane goes back I’d really like another striker. If Jacobs is going to be out a while we may need cover for centre midfield. But rather have him back.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He had an absolute shocker in the League Cup game at Palmerston against Albion Rovers.  That came after the Hamilton one and it really was horrendous.  I felt sorry for him. 

I'd have thought that was the performance that did most to set back his reputation amongst the support.  It's good that he's done better of late.

He had an absolute shocker in the League Cup game at Palmerston against Albion Rovers.  That came after the Hamilton one and it really was horrendous.  I felt sorry for him. 
I'd have thought that was the performance that did most to set back his reputation amongst the support.  It's good that he's done better of late.

I listened to Scott Mercer's very honest interview after the Dumbarton game. He readily admitted that he has not performed well at QOS since his move from EF. He didn't make excuses - he said that he had found the step up very challenging and he sounded genuinely disappointed with his own performance in this time.

He has had a few steady games but nothing more than that until Tuesday where he turned in a first class display - not only defending really solidly but showing some good skill, pace and touch when going forward.

If he were to replicate this on a regular basis there is little doubt that he could become a "valuable regular" but as he says himself he has to maintain this level of performance on a consistent basis.

It has taken Mercer a long time to deliver - and he is now basically trying to make up for lost time. Many players would have been moved on by now in similar circumstances but he may just be able to retrieve the situation. It will be interesting to see what happens.

10 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Grow up you sad, sad individual. A grown man of your age still living at home with Mummy should not be let loose on the internet.

Away and grow up you reprobate.

Edited by NOTS

So McFadden has been released and is a free agent. I realise he wasn't starting to feature however I think he had something to offer the club in CM role. People attitudes seemed to slowly be changing on him as well. If he doesn't pick up a club I think it would be worth him coming back if the manager can't find another CM who fits in with his plans. Either way good luck to him

Well played Sir [emoji38]

I'd have liked McFadden to have had a go in CM but not sure he would have the legs for it. A shame really as I'm sure he would have been capable of controlling the pace of the game a bit more. Something Rankin just isn't doing.

McFadden in CM! Heard it all now 

Given his best performance for us was in there just off the strikers against TNS I hardly think it's worth getting excited over. He was far more effective there than he ever was out wide.

On 05/01/2018 at 13:58, Skyline Drifter said:

Hardly the fans' fault that Mercer was mainly a bench warmer for most of the latter part of last season and early this season.  The Manager obviously lost confidence in him as well.  He moved Jacobs out of midfield rather than play Mercer at RB and this season he brought in another CD on loan so Fordyce  moved to RB for many games.  He also brought in Rooney,  another right back.  Mercer wasn't even given a runout from the bench in a cup game against Airdrieonians (?)  when we were coasting.  Situations like that probably dented his confidence more than any flak from fans.  

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given his best performance for us was in there just off the strikers against TNS I hardly think it's worth getting excited over. He was far more effective there than he ever was out wide.

Behind the strikers then maybe. But as a CM then no.

I'm not sure he'd have done any worse than Rankin. It would have been worth a shot. It wasn't as crazy a suggestion as you made out though.

Can’t criticise Rankin after today’s game, he was decent. Probably a game that suited him but none the less.

Down to bare bones, but what an excellent team effort and 3 points. Go into next week a bit more confident with hopefully a few more players back in the mix.