The Queen of the South thread

8 hours ago, Stuart1 said:

Lee Robinson made his debut for Dunfermline today and got the man of the match award, on several occasions made some very good saves ultimately resulting in them getting there victory

He'll no doubt start off great then conspire you be like last season with his antics. I wonder if he is still kicking the ball out the park and squaring up to opposing strikers?

Re crowds I believe the Rangers decision put off a few hundred of our regulars. But our crowds were already going down before that happened.

I think the board are doing a good job overall, I don’t really think they can do much more to entice fans and don’t forget they managed to bring Dobbie back.

There’s no evidence that reducing prices brings fans through the door long term. A winning team used to be a guarantee of more support coming in but even that seems increasingly debatable. Look at teams like Hamilton and our crowds when we were top last season.

There are no quick fixes. Engaging with the community is probably the best long term solution. Getting kids interested and then keeping them interested in their late teens is also a way forward imo. But the board have at least tried to address that.

Maybe we should look at examples of other clubs who’s attendances have gone up a lot over the last decade. What did they do that we didn’t? Someone mentioned Falkirk’s attendance v us and it was indeed very impressive considering where they are in the league.

Other examples would be clubs that have recently enjoyed much more supporter engagement. That seems to get everyone on board and boost the crowds; Hearts, St Mirren and the Pars for example.

Maybe that’s where we should look to go in the long term.

Btw I’m not saying they’re doing a perfect job (And the Rangers decision still disgusts me,) but I don’t think they deserve some of the criticism being dished out on here.

39 minutes ago, NOTS said:

He'll no doubt start off great then conspire you be like last season with his antics. I wonder if he is still kicking the ball out the park and squaring up to opposing strikers?

All the best from me too Lee 

He was great for us for many years but he was gash when GN got rid of him. Right decision imo and one good performance for the Pars won’t change my mind.

I’ve defended him up till now but I’m starting to lose my patience with Naysmith. I find it really frustrating that we’re not capitalising on the benefit of having Dobbie in the team. Against Dunfermline you see what we should be capable of but our inconsistency is so frustrating. Why is this?

I believe our failure to address the midfield issue in the summer is our biggest problem. The weakness of our midfield is well documented and even when we win games, we rarely boss the middle. Getting Thomson in, or someone similar/better should have been a higher priority, even at the expense of Kane. There’s a lot of debate about our defensive problems recently and they do exist. But our defence is always under so much pressure because of our lack of midfield and our inability to manage games and keep possession. Possession at home to Dumbarton was 49%.

Going through the team; you can’t really criticise him for Martin, everyone thought it was a great signing.

Getting rid of both Higgins and Dowie seems the wrong move, may have been best to keep one and at least we wouldn’t be so reliant on loan deal Kerr who appears to be on his way out.

Mercer isn’t the worst player I’ve ever seen but didn’t we pay money for him?! Crazy if we did.

Midfield. Well, Rankin probably should’ve been given a deal to the end of last season. When it became obvious that Thomas and Thomson were pushing him out of the team that should have been the end. Instead because we offered him a two year deal it’s starting to feel like we’re stuck with him. There could be a player in Murray but he’s not ready to be relied upon yet. I’m hopeful that Thomson will get better as he settles but who else do we have in midfield? This is the most pressing issue and I would be looking to sign someone else for central mid as a priority, preferably to replace Rankin.

What we should be doing is building a decent solid team that gets the basics right around Dobbie. Instead I don’t really know what direction we’re going in. At one point we were even trying to fit McFadden into a team already containing Dobbie, Lyle and absolutely no midfield energy.

I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong but I don’t think we have what it takes to finish in the top four this season and even if we did we would have to win or draw potentially six games against 3rd, 2nd and a prem team. There is no way we have the consistency for that. Is there really much point in scraping 4th place with no real belief that you’ve got any chance to go forward?

I’m sure there’ll be a few more amazing wins this season when the opposition gets it wrong or Dobbie has an unplayable day. But I would rather grind out a few more results and be a bit more solid/consistent. That’s the way forward for me.

We’re only two points from 4th so I’m not giving up yet but this window is Naysmith’s last chance to prove to me that he’s actually got what it takes to move us forward. I know our budget is not the highest but I believe we are capable of better, especially with a fit Dobbie.

Dobbie may sign for one more year and it may be best to let someone else try and make the most out of this amazing asset.

Re crowds I believe the Rangers decision put off a few hundred of our regulars. But our crowds were already going down before that happened.

I think the board are doing a good job overall, I don’t really think they can do much more to entice fans and don’t forget they managed to bring Dobbie back.

There’s no evidence that reducing prices brings fans through the door long term. A winning team used to be a guarantee of more support coming in but even that seems increasingly debatable. Look at teams like Hamilton and our crowds when we were top last season.

There are no quick fixes. Engaging with the community is probably the best long term solution. Getting kids interested and then keeping them interested in their late teens is also a way forward imo. But the board have at least tried to address that.

Maybe we should look at examples of other clubs who’s attendances have gone up a lot over the last decade. What did they do that we didn’t? Someone mentioned Falkirk’s attendance v us and it was indeed very impressive considering where they are in the league.

Other examples would be clubs that have recently enjoyed much more supporter engagement. That seems to get everyone on board and boost the crowds; Hearts, St Mirren and the Pars for example.

Maybe that’s where we should look to go in the long term.

Btw I’m not saying they’re doing a perfect job (And the Rangers decision still disgusts me,) but I don’t think they deserve some of the criticism being dished out on here.
But how do you keep the kids and teens interested. I agree mostly with you though the board aren't too bad. They made and make a few bad decisions but so does everyone. I was at the game against st mirren and there was a quite a lot of kids there. I'm sure the regulars would be able to confirm a lot of kids and same faces are at the games.

But how do you keep the kids and teens interested. I agree mostly with you though the board aren't too bad. They made and make a few bad decisions but so does everyone. I was at the game against st mirren and there was a quite a lot of kids there. I'm sure the regulars would be able to confirm a lot of kids and same faces are at the games.

It does look like a lot of kids attend games which is a good thing. Maybe we will see the benefit in years to come.

Keeping them interested - probably best to bridge the gap from junior blue to full adult price. I think the club already does this?

If a new ‘young team’ emerges in future perhaps we can learn some lessons from the past and try to nurture them. Again I’m not overly criticising the club, maybe we could all find a better way to move forward with such a group.

Something that relates directly to me - keeping expat fans interested and involved. There will always be young folks moving away from Dumfries and Scotland. Probably larger numbers in future. Can we keep them more engaged through things such as live streaming of games? That debate has already been had on here but it’s something we should look to do in the long term. I haven’t ruled out volunteering myself when I move back to Scotland!

I genuinely hope Lee does well at Dunfermline. Don't think it's right that fans don't want an ex player to do well in their career after leaving us. 

About the Rangers issue with losing fans to them.  It's been like that for a long time and Dumfries must be the worst for armchair Rangers fans, who hardly attend their games. Keeping kids interested will be hard as well, especially when a massive chunk of their parents will bring them up supporting a "big" club rather than coming to games of the team from their OWN town. 

Unfortunately I don't see things getting better any time soon. There's teams in the English Conference North/South who get more fans than us and they're in an area with Premier league or Championship teams surrounding them. 

people say that Naysmith should go, but who else is going to come in and do a better job on a shoestring budget. unless the board put more money Into the club then we can expect to be exactly where we are. (mid table)

51 minutes ago, temps15 said:

people say that Naysmith should go, but who else is going to come in and do a better job on a shoestring budget. unless the board put more money Into the club then we can expect to be exactly where we are. (mid table)

I still back Naysmith to do a good job guiding the club. All the teams around us are dropping points so its not just us. Its a shame we haven't got maximum points against Dumbarton but I will take a point and clean sheet considering the injuries and short turn around of fixtures. Hopefully we can pick up more points against Livingston but as we have struggled against those above us I wont hold my breath for a sweeping win.

The crowds are really disappointing and I’m not too sure what more the club can do to encourage stay away fans back.
Although I’m not a smoker I know fans who haven’t been back because of the ban and think Queens should reconsider their decision. A simple smoking area either side of the terrace would do and it’s easy to police.... it won’t add hundreds to the attendance but the fact is people ARE staying away because of it . We can’t afford to scare even more fans away

8 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

He was great for us for many years but he was gash when GN got rid of him. Right decision imo and one good performance for the Pars won’t change my mind.

He was brilliant first half of the season under Gav, not sure what happened under Naysmith  but probably the same that happened with Dobbie,marshall, brownlie and many more which didn't play to there capabilities.

Nayidea is dour and unfortunately it reflects in his tactics team selection and post match interviews.

He knew the script when he took the job on, his stats are no better than previously sacked managers ,so  how he's still here beats me .

It will be interesting to see how Robinson does under Magic .

Edited by Besty

The smoking ban is an SPFL rule and nothing to do with Queens.

It is also the single worst reason I have ever heard for not attending a match.

Presumably these same people also boycott public transport and places like the cinema as well?

I think we have smoking areas at Starks Park.

Just wonder why the rule was ignored for years and now that it was amended to include e-cigs Queens decided to completely ban it ...... like I say I’m not a smoker but there is some who don’t go now because of it. Sad I know but we’re not in a position to give even more supporters an excuse not to go .
Our crowds are shocking

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The smoking ban is an SPFL rule and nothing to do with Queens.

It is also the single worst reason I have ever heard for not attending a match.

Presumably these same people also boycott public transport and places like the cinema as well?

I know people who won't travel by train as they cannot smoke and go by car so they can stop at regular intervals. These same people don't fly for the same reason - granted a few but it does happen