The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Happy New Year to my fellow QOS fans.

Here`s to continued adventures following our team.

It`s rarely dull.

Happy New Year to all Queens fans.

Hopefully start the year better than we ended it .

Now do we go for the playoffs meaning we must sign a few players or do we just try and stay in the league meaning we won't sign anyone.

Sadly,  this management team and squad are not good enough to make top 4.

It wouldn't take much of an improvement to challenge as Morton and Dunfermline are inconsistent like ourselves and we are lucky that Falkirk are not where they should be  but Livingston show no signs of cracking up and I fully expect Inverness to continue to climb the table.

The GK and defence are just not good enough.

Martin was 'talked up' plenty on his arrival but has failed to live up to any of that - slow to get down and hesitant in every other facet.    Robinson far superior being agile and able to dive low or high and despite being much shorter much more commanding at coming for crosses.

Like many others I want Brownlie to  develop and have given him the benefit of the doubt on many occasions - not any more.  He is a liability  and shows no sign of significant improvement.  Remember when we actually had defenders  - especially Thomson and Aitken -  who would put themselves in the firing line to block anything to avoid conceding ?      Current defenders  are soft in comparison and are unwilling to do the same.

The Manager made up his mind early he was going to ditch Dowie, Higgins , Hamill and Robinson in order to strengthen our defence but it hasn't worked.

I would strongly suggest that Higgins alongside Fordyce with Robinson in goal would be a stronger, more reliable unit than what we have now.

Not a huge fan of Hamill but I suspect he would do just as well as either Mercer or Rooney.

I often concur with 'rjc' and find myself doing so again.

The midfield is just as - if not moreso -  weak than our defence.

Rankin has been a huge let-down since his arrival and does not dominate as I thought he would.  We have no creativity in there but I don't think that is a major concern for Naysmith as he prefers to go long anyway.

Dykes is a complete waste of space and offers nothing wherever he plays - I repeat he is not sharp mentally or physically.   The fact that his contract has been extended says a lot about our Manager.

Dobbie and Lyle are our best striking partnership but are rarely now on the pitch together.

This season is now a 'write-off' and there is a huge revamp required but Naysmith is not the man to do it.

He will probably remain until season end - unless we go on a long losing run -  at which point big changes are required.

His approach and players  have not worked so it will be time for someone else to have a go.

Apart from Fordyce and Marshall we need all new  defenders.

Midfield , with the exception of Jacobs, requires complete overhaul.

With Del's impending retiral  we need at least 2 quality strikers.  

Hopefully when a new Manager is appointed he is reminded of the football philosophy we employed and enjoyed in recent years which Naysmith has totally ignored and indeed seems to have ripped up.

It wouldn't take much of an improvement to challenge as Morton and Dunfermline are inconsistent like ourselves and we are lucky that Falkirk are not where they should be  but Livingston show no signs of cracking up and I fully expect Inverness to continue to climb the table.
Martin was 'talked up' plenty on his arrival but has failed to live up to any of that - slow to get down and hesitant in every other facet.    Robinson far superior being agile and able to dive low or high and despite being much shorter much more commanding at coming for crosses.
Like many others I want Brownlie to  develop and have given him the benefit of the doubt on many occasions - not any more.  He is a liability  and shows no sign of significant improvement.  Remember when we actually had defenders  - especially Thomson and Aitken -  who would put themselves in the firing line to block anything to avoid conceding ?      Current defenders  are soft in comparison and are unwilling to do the same.
The Manager made up his mind early he was going to ditch Dowie, Higgins , Hamill and Robinson in order to strengthen our defence but it hasn't worked.
I would strongly suggest that Higgins alongside Fordyce with Robinson in goal would be a stronger, more reliable unit than what we have now.
Not a huge fan of Hamill but I suspect he would do just as well as either Mercer or Rooney.
Rankin has been a huge let-down since his arrival and does not dominate as I thought he would.  We have no creativity in there but I don't think that is a major concern for Naysmith as he prefers to go long anyway.
Dykes is a complete waste of space and offers nothing wherever he plays - I repeat he is not sharp mentally or physically.   The fact that his contract has been extended says a lot about our Manager.
Dobbie and Lyle are our best striking partnership but are rarely now on the pitch together.
This season is now a 'write-off' and there is a huge revamp required but Naysmith is not the man to do it.
He will probably remain until season end - unless we go on a long losing run -  at which point big changes are required.
His approach and players  have not worked so it will be time for someone else to have a go.
Hopefully when a new Manager is appointed he is reminded of the football philosophy we employed and enjoyed in recent years which Naysmith has totally ignored and indeed seems to have ripped up.

This season is not a write off, we are still well in the hunt for a play-off spot.
Naismith has another year on his contract, he's going nowhere in the summer.
Dykes has shown enough to say that there is a player in there, I'm happy he's signed for next year.

11 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Not many are willing to state what really is the case and I feel you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with your analysis. If your being honest since Naysmith came in his signings have been dire and the football in general even worse with a sprinkling of good performances. His good signings have been Kerr, Fordyce and Thomson but 2 of them are only loans. His poor signings far outweigh them. Rankin tries but if anyone is honest hes poor and at his best average but he tries. Mercer crap.  Rooney cant defend. McManus never played much but when he did pish. Thomas pish. Martin horrific. Stirling lightweight and inconsistant. McFadden past it. Kane not deemed good enough or given any run until recently where he has actually looked decent. Re-signing Dykes and especially Tapping defied logic and are probably his worst signings. All in all not overly impressed

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

Not many are willing to state what really is the case and I feel you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with your analysis. If your being honest since Naysmith came in his signings have been dire and the football in general even worse with a sprinkling of good performances. His good signings have been Kerr, Fordyce and Thomson but 2 of them are only loans. His poor signings far outweigh them. Rankin tries but if anyone is honest hes poor and at his best average but he tries. Mercer crap.  Rooney cant defend. McManus never played much but when he did pish. Thomas pish. Martin horrific. Stirling lightweight and inconsistant. McFadden past it. Kane not deemed good enough or given any run until recently where he has actually looked decent. Re-signing Dykes and especially Tapping defied logic and are probably his worst signings. All in all not overly impressed

Not read P&B in a while but just getting back into it now and is amazing how everyone’s opinions differ. Personally I seen Dom Thomas as one of our standout players in the 2nd part of last season, would have him back in a heartbeat. Kane wasn’t a bad signing either, just GN never utilised him correctly until recently, fault probably lays with the manager for that.

5 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I hardly post on here these days but what a load of bullsh*t 

[emoji849] here we go again. Back to the teams shit, managers shit, ball boys are shit, dougie is shit mentality.

How about it’s the board that’s maybe shit?

Maybe Naysmith has his hands tied with the fact that money is been taken from the club but not put back into it.

[emoji849] here we go again. Back to the teams shit, managers shit, ball boys are shit, dougie is shit mentality.

How about it’s the board that’s maybe shit?

Maybe Naysmith has his hands tied with the fact that money is been taken from the club but not put back into it.

We have an international quality defender at the helm and yet haven't improved in the slightest at defending corners/crosses. I'd love to know how many goals we've actually conceded this way.

I don't think the board can take the flack for that tbh.

You mention Dowie and Higgins in your post. I wanted to keep both but as a leftie Higgy should have been a no brainer in my opinion. It is such an important area that you really need 4 centre backs in your squad and ideally at least one on each side who can slot in at RB and LB once the injuries and suspensions come along.

While Fordyce has been a very good signing we needed to rely on a temporary loan signing to give us a third CB. Kerr is shortly moving out so it is back to square one. I defy anybody to say that this is a better situation than one that included Dowie and/or Higgins?

Dowie was the most questionable retention in my view but despite us taking Dumbarton's keeper and passing them a rejected CB in Dowie - Dumbarton have conceded 12 fewer goals than we have at this stage!!!

I can understand why Thomson is a popular signing because of his energy but we desperately need a midfield playmaker who can control the pace of games and improve our ball retention.

The most disappointing aspect of all is that in Dobbie we have an outstanding player but rather than his quality launching us to the play offs it is more likely that he will keep us up.

As is everything it is all to do with money .Naysmith probably has one of the smallest budget in the league .

That makes his job very difficult as players will always go to the club that pays the best wages. You can't blame the board it is not there fault we get such poor crowds look at Falkirk got over 4000 against us 

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

As is everything it is all to do with money .Naysmith probably has one of the smallest budget in the league .

That makes his job very difficult as players will always go to the club that pays the best wages. You can't blame the board it is not there fault we get such poor crowds look at Falkirk got over 4000 against us 

Good point. If we`d had the season that Falkirk have had we`d be around the 1000 mark I would think.

If they want more through the door they need to promote the club more at schools and get kids through the doors.

I’ve hear there is money leaving the club towards certain projects, using a certain board members company, but not much reinvested. When you have a board member with a construction company you’d expect building work to be a reasonable price unless maybe he’s in it for himself.

The central belt will always attract higher crowds, but as I’ve said before with no club within a 60 mile radius bar Annan, we should be getting a lot more than 2000 through the gates. That poor promotion of the club by the board in my eyes.

7 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

If they want more through the door they need to promote the club more at schools and get kids through the doors.

I’ve hear there is money leaving the club towards certain projects, using a certain board members company, but not much reinvested. When you have a board member with a construction company you’d expect building work to be a reasonable price unless maybe he’s in it for himself.

The central belt will always attract higher crowds, but as I’ve said before with no club within a 60 mile radius bar Annan, we should be getting a lot more than 2000 through the gates. That poor promotion of the club by the board in my eyes.

In your opinion what more can the club do? Several dozen pages back this came up and a few fans of the club said that certain decisions the club made over recent years has put them off going to home games. There are a fair few fans on this site alone who don't live close by including myself. Dumfries is not a big town and like any other bleeds much of its potential supporters to the old firm and English teams. The new SLO committee seem to be a good bunch and are pushing forward ideas and small projects to improve the club. 

We could drop prices but we already one of the cheapest in the league and besides I doubt their would be a sudden surge in support to cover the shortfall. We have two club legends at the club still playing good football and scoring goals. The club is I believe financially secure and despite my own nerves about the 2nd half of the season ahead and coming matches we are still challenging for the playoffs. I'm not sure what more the club can do on current budget can do to entice the fans in. 

12 hours ago, temps15 said:

Faddys contract has expired looks like another youngster on the bench tomorrow
does anyone know when kerr and kane return to St Johnstone

Just before the return of the winter break I reckon.

10 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

They do that already with the school visits each school gets free tickets in the hope that a paying adult will take the child to a Queens game but not many kids get to use the free ticket.

There is sadly just no interest anymore we will just have to go with what we have just now