The Queen of the South thread

With January fast approaching what are people expecting from queens?It's going to be vital for every club as everyone is so evenly matched

So far I have been impressed by what Gary's brought it during his time so I trust him to have a good January and push on for a enjoyable 2nd half of season,Mon eh south!

Edited by Dumfries Boy(new acc)

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Would you not put Nicky Clark ahead of Dobbie ?

He is, after all, our joint record holder for goals scored in a single season and has 2 medals and other accolades to show for it !

Of course, Del tops them both.

Not quoted in context sir.

A touch ignorant, naughty or perhaps both.

33 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

So far I have been impressed by what Gary's brought it during his time so I trust him to have a good January and push on for a enjoyable 2nd half of season,Mon eh south!

You may be but HE certainly isn't.

Tries his utmost to keep Mercer and Rooney -and until very recently Stirling and Kane -  from getting on the pitch.

People get far too over-excited about the January window there's not often much out there.

The exception would be when McCall brought in McDonald, Adams, Murray and Dobbie all of whom had an immediate impact.

What a cracker that was at home to Partick although we tried our best to throw it away !

On 29/10/2017 at 16:47, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Not aware that we have reached a Scottish Cup Final or played in Europe since Gordon Chisholm took us there although we have had some memorable, memorable moments since then.

Totally unjustified animosity towards a gentleman and fine football manager whose achievements are unlikely to be repeated.

Just because he chose to leave Dobbie out on occasion and the psychophants can't handle it !

Ok, is this one better?  Fans who consider Dobbie to be our best player in modern times (ie just about everybody) dismissed as psychophants (sic).

19 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Dobbie is fantastic, no doubt about that. Peter Dickson was also brilliant until some nut job made him a fullback. Allan Ball is still the best player I have seen in a Queens shirt though. This is my humble opinion and I'm sure others have theirs!

Dickson was brilliant. My memory is that he was possibly the nut job in that he wanted to play at RB.

Many fine players but Dobbie the best  i`ve seen at QOS in 50+ years of watching.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Dickson was brilliant. My memory is that he was possibly the nut job in that he wanted to play at RB.

Many fine players but Dobbie the best  i`ve seen at QOS in 50+ years of watching.

I saw the likes of Ball and Dickson play, but only when young and only occasionally.  

In the last thirty five years or so though, when I've been a regular for the most part, Dobbie is, by a distance, the best we've had. 

59 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He was originally a RB with Albion Rovers before playing up front for them and becoming the top goalscorer in the whole of Britain.

He had offers from English  clubs but having a decent job with BT , wanted to stay part-time which benefited us greatly and saved us from relegation in 75/76.

He was brilliant but a totally different type to Dobbie.

Electric pace and the best one-on-one finisher I have seen.  

Of course, he could finish superbly in all manner of ways too as those who were present at the remarkable Scottish Cup replay of February 18, 1976 vs Ayr United will testify.

Over 8,000 at both games with at least 2,500 QOS at Somerset - those were the days !

Great character and entertainer too. 

He used to regularly tease defenders by inviting them with his hands to come and get the ball before knocking it past them and leaving them trailing in his wake.

Great days those.

Ball, Miller, McChesney, McLaren, Clark and Boyd, Dempster, Dickson P., Reid, O'Hara and Dickson. G.  is still stuck in my head to rhyme off at any time.  ( Subs;  Thorburn and Donald)   I think it was 2 then.

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

He was originally a RB with Albion Rovers before playing up front for them and becoming the top goalscorer in the whole of Britain.

He had offers from English  clubs but having a decent job with BT , wanted to stay part-time which benefited us greatly and saved us from relegation in 75/76.

Of course, he could finish superbly in all manner of ways too as those who were present at the remarkable Scottish Cup replay of February 18, 1976 vs Ayr United will testify.

Over 8,000 at both games with at least 2,500 QOS at Somerset - those were the days !

He used to regularly tease defenders by inviting them with his hands to come and get the ball before knocking it past them and leaving them trailing in his wake.

Great days those.

Ball, Miller, McChesney, McLaren, Clark and Boyd, Dempster, Dickson P., Reid, O'Hara and Dickson. G.  is still stuck in my head to rhyme off at any time.  ( Subs;  Thorburn and Donald)   I think it was 2 then.

Yep Dickson was a fine player. He had nothing like as good a career as Dobbie though. Peak of his achievements was with us.

I remember well both the games against Ayr. As you suggest Dickson was absolutely magnificent in the replay. His arrival did indeed save us from relegation that year. The team had some very decent players in it and indeed before Dickson arrived were good enough to take a Rangers team who ultimately won the treble to extra-time over a 2 leg league cup game. He was undoubtedly the catalyst for our recovery that season though. Great striker.

Good effort to remember a team line-up from age 2 BTW.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Sad to hear our former physio John Kerr has passed away

Sad news that, sincere condolences to his friends and family.

On the subject of the Dobbmeister, seems like a no brainier to sign him up for another season, assuming he is keen to play another year and doesn't want stupid money. He must have a realistic chance of being Queens' second top scorer of all time if he plays another year. Even in the still fairly unlikely event that Queens get promoted, he would be an ideal foil off the bench. 

My interview with Gary Naysmith after Saturday's game, on behalf of WestSound FM. 

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/11/gary-naysmith-post-dunfermline/

I really enjoy talking to Gary. A good, young, manager who is articulate and clear in his answers. I like his honesty and how he goes into details so everyone is aware of the situation. No surprises for myself to see you guys so far up the league under his guidance. 

Stephen Dobbie audio to follow later on this week. 

21 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Great days those.

I missed both games against Ayr for reasons beyond my control.  Dickson was good but I preferred Ian Reid.  But in my 50 years of watching Queens, Dobbie is the best. Followed closely by Andy Thomson.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned and I have missed it. A friend made a comment that Dobbie hadn't scored many goals at Palmerston this season. He suggested that perhaps the grass suits him more than the uneven bounce that the pitch at Palmerston creates, allowing him to control the ball instantly and turn at defenders.  He has only scored 3 of 18 goals this season  at Palmerston. I know it may be slightly misleading as we have at present played more away games than home ones.

Player    Lge LC CC SC Total
    H A H A H A H A H A T
Dobbie 1 8 1 3   4 1   3 15 18
Lyle 4 1     1 1 1   6 2 8
Kerr   3     1       1 3 4
Fordyce 1 2             1 2 3
Dykes 2         1     2 1 3
Kane   2       1     0 3 3
Brownlie 1   1   1       3 0 3
Rooney       1 1 1     1 2 3
Rankin 1               1 0 1
Stirling   1             0 1 1

14 minutes ago, jakeyman said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned and I have missed it. A friend made a comment that Dobbie hadn't scored many goals at Palmerston this season. He suggested that perhaps the grass suits him more than the uneven bounce that the pitch at Palmerston creates, allowing him to control the ball instantly and turn at defenders.  He has only scored 3 of 18 goals this season  at Palmerston. I know it may be slightly misleading as we have at present played more away games than home ones.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of a 3G pitch what it absolutely doesn't do is provide an "uneven bounce", certainly one more uneven than grass. The pitch is specifically tested to provide bounce in all areas within required specifications.

If Dobbie is better away from home than at home (and I think that's highly debatable) then it's more likely because we function better as a counter attacking unit than one more forced to make the play at home. However, I suspect it's far more likely to be a coincidence than anything else, combined with the fact that the majority of our cup ties have been away from home and we've played two more League games away than we have at home.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of a 3G pitch what it absolutely doesn't do is provide an "uneven bounce", certainly one more uneven than grass. The pitch is specifically tested to provide bounce in all areas within required specifications.

It's not that palmerston is 3G that's the problem, it that it's terribly maintained.