The Queen of the South thread

Seems an appropriate time to update this then!

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Derek Lyle, 117 goals in 266 starts (87 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - Current
4 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
5 - Stephen Dobbie, 99 goals in 154 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
6 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
7 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
8 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
9 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
10 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

With his hat trick in Fife today Dobbie leapfrogs over Jocky Dempster to move into 5th in the all time scoring charts. He needs one more to become the 5th man to get a century of goals for us. At present rate Andy Thomson's 114 could even be in reach this season, though that's still a fairly big ask. To think he was on 55 goals when he returned last August! 44 goals in a little over 16 months. Not bad for a man who turned 35 this week.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

39 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

What a feckin legend Dobbs is

He was awesome today. Simply superb.  Best player i’ve ever seen in a Queens shirt bar none and i’m no spring chicken.. It’s been a delight to see him second time around. From what I hear he’s keen to sign on for another season. If Queens don’t bite his hand off i’ll be astounded and disgusted all in one. Surely we will though, no? Can’t imagine it not happening. 

I can remember the days of big Jim Paterson and Ivor Brodies, but the man that gives me the biggest Buzz on the ball has to be Stephen Dobbie, they were raving about him, on this evening's off the ball, nice to see Kane scoring, the only thing I disagree with the manager is, this lad should have had a longer run, before now.

I can remember the days of big Jim Paterson and Ivor Brodies, but the man that gives me the biggest Buzz on the ball has to be Stephen Dobbie, they were raving about him, on this evening's off the ball, nice to see Kane scoring, the only thing I disagree with the manager is, this lad should have had a longer run, before now.

He’s been injured.

3 hours ago, louisxiv said:

He was awesome today. Simply superb.  Best player i’ve ever seen in a Queens shirt bar none and i’m no spring chicken.. It’s been a delight to see him second time around. From what I hear he’s keen to sign on for another season. If Queens don’t bite his hand off i’ll be astounded and disgusted all in one. Surely we will though, no? Can’t imagine it not happening. 

He's maybe waiting in case we're in the Premier League and needs a rise before he re-signs!

Just give him what he wants for as long as he wants. Performances like yesterdays remind me why I love football. From nowhere came a performance full of flair and passion. But Dobbie was simply mesmeric. Those passes he was hitting were a joke and feel sorry for Williamson as he will have taken a while to recover from his dizzyness. Stirling and Kane had so much to do with our positive performance and I really think if they have a consistant run in the team the team will have a new found flair to it which is great to see. Dykes was playing poor yesterday but kept battling and ignored my stupid shouts of "get him hooked" by being brilliant for the last 20. Shows what I know

It seems at last he has put in a performance that people seem to expect from him    -   OTT reaction though.

Last season and this he has had several barren spells where he has been really struggling, far too greedy and woeful efforts at finishing for someone of his talent.

This is not a criticism more a statement of fact and to point out that he, like anyone else, goes through these spells and is not therefore the infallible icon some make him out to be.

Stay grounded ! 

4 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

It seems at last he has put in a performance that people seem to expect from him    -   OTT reaction though.

Last season and this he has had several barren spells where he has been really struggling, far too greedy and woeful efforts at finishing for someone of his talent.

This is not a criticism more a statement of fact and to point out that he, like anyone else, goes through these spells and is not therefore the infallible icon some make him out to be.

Stay grounded ! 

I agree he is not infallible,  but he is the best Queens player I have ever seen. The guy is pure quality.

There is no reason why he cannot keep on playing for another couple of seasons in a Queens shirt.  If that is the case, I would expect him to go second in our all time goal scorer charts.

He is a Queens legend. 

On 09/12/2017 at 15:04, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I see we are going with the 'dynamic duo' of Dykes and Kane again after a flurry of goals against Inverness !

That's a bit harsh on Kane actually as I think he has more to offer than, who some people seem to think is the next Ronaldo.

Why keep a proven, experienced goalscorer  who links up so well with Dobbie on the bench yet again ?

Lyle comes on and clinches the win against Falkirk then scores an absolute belter  for us to progress in the Cup then finds himself a 'bit-part' player again.

This Manager is unbelievable yet so predictable.

19 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Stay grounded ! 

Yes always best to keep a sense of perspective when posting. Your post from yesterday quoted above demonstrates that well ;)

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Stay grounded ! 

Yeah, good advice. However, after this gem, it doesn’t count for hellish much.

On 06/10/2017 at 10:28, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Would you not put Nicky Clark ahead of Dobbie ?

He is, after all, our joint record holder for goals scored in a single season and has 2 medals and other accolades to show for it !

Of course, Del tops them both.

On the subject of Dobbie, can someone tell him to stop patting the badge after a goal? I feel like an utter wimp as it almost brings me to tears every time.

Maybe he should lift his shirt to show off his "I love you 19QOS19" tattoo?