The Queen of the South thread

As one Kerr leaves, another Kerr arrives according to a few folk around Falkirk.

Think they'll be disappointed if what I heard the other week is correct. The person that caused Kerr to leave is still at the club so I'd be shocked if he came back/will know the story I was told is bull.

What do his hobbies have to do with his ability to run a youth team?

Ha ok then so you think top clubs have that taking there youth sides should be guys that have played the game seasoned pros the players he's coaching are the clubs future

Ha ok then so you think top clubs have that taking there youth sides should be guys that have played the game seasoned pros the players he's coaching are the clubs future

I have no idea what that's supposed to say so I'll just ask the question again. What does Eddie Warwick enjoying line dancing have to do with his ability to run the youth side?

Interesting to note amongst the anti Naysmith circlejerk going on that from the first 15 league games that this is one of the better starts to a  league season in recent years in terms of points gained.  

2017/18 - 23

2016/17 - 18

2015/16 - 20

2014/15 - 25

2013/14 - 18

2011/12 - 15

2010/11 - 23

2009/10 - 27

2008/09 - 21

2007/08 - 16

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:41, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Eddie Warwick should be nowhere near first team.

Just looked on the Queens website and seen that Eddie Warwick is named as the first team coach, must say I'm shocked at that and totally agree with you, he should be nowhere near the first team.

46 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Queens fans, just have a thought for a second about the poster who has got the "scoop" on Mark Kerr. Remember it's the same person who told you Mark Stewart was signing for you in the last January window. HTH

To be fair he got the shock Dobbie to Motherwell deal in the summer bang on the money.

On 30/11/2017 at 22:32, gingerbreadman said:

Criteria not out of reach if the board were ambitious in terms of youth development and if they had someone of suitable knowledge and drive to move it forward. Current set up doesn’t have a full time member of staff in place to drive it forward like most clubs do.  Most youth / community set ups now have charitable status. Queens aren’t serious enough about either if you compare to other clubs.  Only people at queens paid full time in community / youth are Eddie warwick and Danny Armstrong.  Neither have experience or knowledge to drive this forward like other clubs do. 

The Board have already shown that they have little interest in Youth Development when they got rid of big JT and shuffled the pack with Warwick and Armstrong.  Who knows whether they were right or wrong, but to be fair they had lost the funding for JT's salary a year earlier when the Hollywood Trust stoppd their grant. The inference at the time was that wanted to use as much money as they could muster for the first team squad and were cutting back on things like admin, youth development and community. A very short-term approach but I suspect the current Chairman/Board are more interested in where the First Team finish than anything else. I get the impression that the current Chairman is not in it for the long haul. We'll see. 

In the longer term, you are absolutely right that in order to build a successful Youth Development and Community programme, the club will need to set up a charitable foundation as many other clubs already have done. This is something that the fans via the Supporter Liaison Commitee should be pushing for.

21 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Interesting to note amongst the anti Naysmith circlejerk going on that from the first 15 league games that this is one of the better starts to a  league season in recent years in terms of points gained.  

2017/18 - 23

2016/17 - 18

2015/16 - 20

2014/15 - 25

2013/14 - 18

2011/12 - 15

2010/11 - 23

2009/10 - 27

2008/09 - 21

2007/08 - 16

Fair point, but also need to factor in that seasons 16/17, 15/16 and 14/15 were unusual in that Hibs, Hearts and Rangers featured in one or more of them. And the start of 13/14 included 9 games of Callum Antell. 

Also it might be better doing a comparison at the quarter and halfway points because the way the fixtures fall can affect points totals. For example, we have played 4 games v Brechin and Falkirk and it might not be the case that we’d already played the bottom 2 four times at this stage in previous seasons. It is worth noting that 12 of our points have come from 4 games against the the bottom 2 who have one win between them.  11 points from 11 games against the others. The record in those 11 is 2 wins, 5 draws and 4 defeats.

Once the second quarter is complete, we will have a better idea of where we are at. If we are to get into the top 4, we will probably need to start winning against them. Maintaining the form of 2 points from 5 games against those teams probably won’t be enough.

Unless one of our current centre backs leaves (Gilchrist might) I don't imagine we'll object to Kerr extending his loan with you guys. He's getting regular football which he probably wouldn't get with us (although given our defensive frailties at set pieces both offensive and defensively, it might be an idea to give him a shot) and he's clearly improving at Queens. That's if Naysmith wants to keep him which I assume he will.

We'll probably recall Kane (although again I'm not sure you'd want him beyond January anyway). Denny Johnstone is an utter huddy and Cummins still hasn't scored this season. Kane is certainly better than the former and can at least put pressure on the latter.

Edited by Kyle

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Unless one of our current centre backs leaves (Gilchrist might) I don't imagine we'll object to Kerr extending his loan with you guys. He's getting regular football which he probably wouldn't get with us (although given our defensive frailties at set pieces both offensive and defensively, it might be an idea to give him a shot) and he's clearly improving at Queens. That's if Naysmith wants to keep him which I assume he will.

We'll probably recall Kane (although again I'm not sure you'd want him beyond January anyway). Denny Johnstone is an utter huddy and Cummins still hasn't scored this season. Kane is certainly better than the former and can at least put pressure on the latter.

Hope you’re right, certainly in terms of Kerr. I would be quite happy for Kane to stay as well. Although he hasn’t scored, he gives the attack some pace and energy. I think we would get more out of him and Dobbie if they played together up front, something that hasn’t happened all that often, iirc.