The Queen of the South thread

The hoofball into the corners with little played on the deck is brutal to watch. Also playing with no wingers isn’t helping. Marshall, when /if he does get forward, is the nearest we get to having someone crossing the ball from near the touch line. Think we will be looking downwards for the next few months....

In this league unfortunately you get several teams who deploy the hoofball tactic. We are not alone - that is why so many games are close. It can only take you so far and unless you have a potent combination of strength and pace it will not take you to the next level.

I liked the TNS approach - it seemed to me that their Management were intent on playing good football and not resorting to aimless punts at the first sign of pressure. Not a perfect approach either but surely a much better option than what we have seen under GN.

Our central mid is so devoid of any creativity and it is worrying that Jacobs and Rankin are as close to automatic picks as you can get. There is nobody else and their inclusion dictates that the midfield is bound to be by-passed in favour of the punt as it is the safer option.

I live in hope that the Manager will change the philosophy but I can't honestly see it.

Anyone know what's happening with the floodlights. It looks like they are becoming a communication centre of some sort. Maybe a new stream of income for queen's? Or something to do with the new housing scheme going up on our old piece of land?

7da7d4ffde9c87276b04d83d96f807ff.jpg

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They've been there for ages.

I don't know what the current scaffolding on the Terregles Street pylons is for though.

Floodlights are being repaired and some of the steelwork renewed though work hasnt actually started yet, just the scaffolding has been up for a few weeks.

20 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Hard to disagree.

We have some decent players but I am far from convinced about our Manager. To be fair he has a decent eye for a player but any Manager who accepts hoofball as the way forward is not going to do any better than mid table. You only need to watch us trying to see out a game when we are leading with a few minutes to go. Sit deeper and deeper, give possession away cheaply by launching long balls and generally inviting trouble.

Tellingly the Manager has had more than enough time to create a proper footballing framework that could take us forward but I just don't think he knows how to innovate such a structure. Sure we will win games and have some good results but over the piece this style of play will not cut it.

18 hours ago, Tam said:

The hoofball into the corners with little played on the deck is brutal to watch. Also playing with no wingers isn’t helping. Marshall, when /if he does get forward, is the nearest we get to having someone crossing the ball from near the touch line. Think we will be looking downwards for the next few months....

18 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

In this league unfortunately you get several teams who deploy the hoofball tactic. We are not alone - that is why so many games are close. It can only take you so far and unless you have a potent combination of strength and pace it will not take you to the next level.

I liked the TNS approach - it seemed to me that their Management were intent on playing good football and not resorting to aimless punts at the first sign of pressure. Not a perfect approach either but surely a much better option than what we have seen under GN.

Our central mid is so devoid of any creativity and it is worrying that Jacobs and Rankin are as close to automatic picks as you can get. There is nobody else and their inclusion dictates that the midfield is bound to be by-passed in favour of the punt as it is the safer option.

I live in hope that the Manager will change the philosophy but I can't honestly see it.

Spot on.

As expected, no mention in his interview that the tactics may be to blame - all down to the players having an off day.

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Floodlights are being repaired and some of the steelwork renewed though work hasnt actually started yet, just the scaffolding has been up for a few weeks.

Do you know if the lamps are being upgraded to LEDs this time round?

Spot on.
As expected, no mention in his interview that the tactics may be to blame - all down to the players having an off day.

I remain strongly of the view that if we had a couple of decent central
midfielders and deployed Stirling properly we would not be far away from mounting a meaningful challenge at top end of table. Jacobs is regularly lauded on this site and he unquestionably has fantastic energy and commitment but for me he is a utility player at best - someone who can fill in but who most certainly should not be a lynchpin of our midfield. Rankin is the same and the retention of Tapping was an error. We literally have no other option than a permutation involving these 3 players and that is the reason that we cannot push on and take things to a higher level. The continual omission of a potential match winner like Stirling is mystifying.

The lack of a dominant ball retaining midfield is also the main reason why teams like EK, Albion, Montrose have coped fairly comfortably with us. For us to struggle on 4 occasions in one season against lower league opposition speaks volumes.

Hoofball can work - of course it can. We have a defence that could provide the platform for it but we simply don't have the pace and strength elsewhere to exploit a long ball game. It also makes extremely poor use of a talent like Dobbie and Lyle is not mobile enough to
chase the "lost causes".Livvy play it but they are stronger and better organised.

One option might be to play McFadden as a central midfielder alongside Rankine or Jacobs and give him the license to try and dictate play but not ideal.

Do queens do anything from the shop for babies?(well a one year old?)

They do cool babygrows and will personalise them as well. I also got a replica top for 6 month old but it was last years so not sure if they have one that small this year.

Spot on.

In absolutely no way am I defending GN or his completely wrong set-up/tactics yesterday. It was woeful and never looked like working but the first 2 goals we conceded had nothing to do with that so I can imagine him beimg frustrated about that. He got it wrong with a rubbish set-up but he can't be faulted for his players getting the basics wrong.