The Queen of the South thread

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Derek Lyle is the man in possession for penalties awarded during games as he's not missed one since he started taking them but he's missed at least three in shoot outs that I'm aware of including yesterday (he also hit the bar in the infamous penalty shoot out win at Ibrox and had BJ Corr save against him for us in his Dundee days). Dobbie is on them if Lyle isn't on the pitch and yesterday was his first miss since he returned to us (scored in the three previous shoot outs and also during the game at Falkirk). However Dobbie got taken off penalties during his previous spell here because he missed a couple. He's not blemish free on them before yesterday either.

Who decided that, the players or the manager? Coincidence that both are chasing  goals to move themselves up the Queens all time scoring list?  

I agree with the philosophy that a player takes pens until he misses.  The current Wimbledon manager lets whoever is "feeling confident" take pens which is complete baloney and also doesn't work given the number that AFCW have missed. 

Naysmith was bemoaning not getting a pen in his 46(?) games in charge of Queens. Maybe he tells the players to 'stay on their feet' and not dive. Cheating/diving players is  still one of my bugbears regarding modern football. 

16 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Who decided that, the players or the manager? Coincidence that both are chasing  goals to move themselves up the Queens all time scoring list?  

I agree with the philosophy that a player takes pens until he misses.  The current Wimbledon manager lets whoever is "feeling confident" take pens which is complete baloney and also doesn't work given the number that AFCW have missed. 

Naysmith was bemoaning not getting a pen in his 46(?) games in charge of Queens. Maybe he tells the players to 'stay on their feet' and not dive. Cheating/diving players is  still one of my bugbears regarding modern football. 

Lyle's status as the designated penalty taker pre-dates Naysmith but given he hadn't missed one prior to yesterday he's had no reason to change it. Lyle took over duties after Ryan McGuffie departed, albeit Iain Russell hit the odd one too, usually when Lyle wasn't on the pitch.

Dobbie is happy hitting them and prior to yesterday was the only one to have a 3/3 record from the previous shoot outs. He'll defer to Lyle if Lyle's on the pitch but there was no doubt who was taking the one we got at Falkirk when he was on a hat trick and I don't think there's much doubt he'd have taken any we got yesterday prior to Lyle's late introduction. I presume had the handball shout we had a couple of minutes from the end been given Lyle would have hit it though.

Naysmith did say he hadn't had a penalty during his time in charge but he's obviously forgotten that one at Falkirk earlier this season when Dobbie got his hat trick after Dykes was tripped in the box. 

23 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Do we know how many Queens fans made it (what was the attendance?)? 

There was no segregation so no way to accurately confirm the exact split. The total attendance was 808. TNS officials estimated on the day that we had about 400 but were going to look at hospitality numbers etc and see if they could be more accurate.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Derek Lyle is the man in possession for penalties awarded during games as he's not missed one since he started taking them but he's missed at least three in shoot outs that I'm aware of including yesterday (he also hit the bar in the infamous penalty shoot out win at Ibrox and had BJ Corr save against him for us in his Dundee days).

Who missed at Tynecastle in the League Cup tie a few years ago?

I've got Mitchell and Reilly in my mind, but am probably wrong.  Did Lyle score that night?

A separate point and nothing to do with you SD but could people start spelling 'practised'/'practising' properly please?

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think there's anything necessarily to say strikers should be your best penalty takers. Stuart Pearce and Steve Bruce are amongst the best penalty takers England has produced in recent decades for instance (yes I know Pearce infamously missed one in the World Cup).  John O'Neill was probably our most consistent penalty taker and scorer in recent years and wasn't generally a striker either, though I accept he was an attacking player who did occasionally play as a striker.

Yes, there will be the odd defender who is good at them,  but it is a striker’s job to score goals, so they should be able to beat a keeper from 12 yards. The clue is in the name - you’re a striker, so strike.

If the strikers aren’t the first on the list to take one, they should at least be in the first 5. Kane wasn’t even in the first 6. 

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Who missed at Tynecastle in the League Cup tie a few years ago?

I've got Mitchell and Reilly in my mind, but am probably wrong.  Did Lyle score that night?

Lyle took the first that night and scored.

Mitchell then hit the bar and Jamie MacDonald saved from Michael Paton. Kevin Dzierzawski scored the 4th. We never took our 5th but Reilly wasnt on it.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lyle took the first that night and scored.

Mitchell then hit the bar and Jamie MacDonald saved from Michael Paton. Kevin Dzierzawski scored the 4th. We never took our 5th but Reilly wasnt on it.

Interesting because Reilly took one and scored against both Rangers and Thistle in shoot outs in the previous season. Possibly another case of McIntyre dicking with the team which he was very prone to in that period.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Good work.

Did you cheat?

I cheated insofar as I couldn't remember who took and scored the first (which turned out to be Lyle). I knew the rest of it without looking including who missed and that Dzierzawski scored.

46 minutes ago, Flash said:

Interesting because Reilly took one and scored against both Rangers and Thistle in shoot outs in the previous season. Possibly another case of McIntyre dicking with the team which he was very prone to in that period.

Nope, barking up the wrong tree there. Reilly said on the night he wasn't confident and didn't want to take one.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I cheated insofar as I couldn't remember who took and scored the first (which turned out to be Lyle). I knew the rest of it without looking including who missed and that Dzierzawski scored.

Nope, barking up the wrong tree there. Reilly said on the night he wasn't confident and didn't want to take one.

That’s a pity.  Did he say why his confidence was lower than it was at Ibrox when he was a year younger?

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Pretty good.

Did Dzierzawski only ever kick it where he meant to, if Hearts were the opposition?

11 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Just like to point out once again what a fantastic support that travelled to TNS. Didn't stop making noise and represented the club really well. And the flags are a good addition

Just if we could repeat that in the league the boost it would give the players

1 minute ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Both post match interviews mentioned fans and also I don't think we played badly just couldn't find the net

We weren't bad for spells in the game, but you seem to be implying we'd have been worse, had fewer travelled.

I'm not convinced it would have made much difference.

Are Tns seriously claiming that was a 50/50 split in the crowd ? From the gazebo I obviously couldn't see the balcony where I'm assuming was mostly TNS supporters. But there was only about 100 odd on the balcony that I could see. 

Edited by Broony88