The Queen of the South thread

When Lyle and Dobbie both miss in the shoot- out (both high in the list of all -time scorers), you suspect it isn’t going to be our night.

Dobbie and McFadden both had great chances to finish it before penalties. 

Overall, I thought TNS pinged it about competently for long periods, although our defence stood firm. Martin had a few saves, but they were all those you would expect him to make comfortably.

We had the better chances, but didn’t take them.

For a 0-0, I enjoyed it. 

You just can't miss that many chances and expect to win .Dobbie had easily his worse game for Queens no surprise he could not even get a pen on target.Great away support let down again .

I've seen Dobbie play worse. I don't know what else was expected of him given he was up front himself for most of the game. He should have scored his one-on-one but other than that didn't have many chances.

Agree with all of the above. Plenty positives to take despite the defeat. The defence and goalkeeper continue to look strong despite a few changes today. The much maligned Mercer was as good, if not better, than Rooney. Although I expect both to drop out for the returning Kerr. McFadden definitely looks like a worthwhile signing, all our good attacking play came through him today. Jacobs put in a typically Jacobs-esque display, and Stirling looked a threat when he came on.

Brilliant showing from our fans who deserved a better result.

Faddys best game in a queens shirt

First time I''ve seen Faddy for us. I thought he was probably our best player. He'll be an asset in games where we keep the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence he was anonymous when we were on the backfoot though.

Stirling has to be given a run of games surely.

Very impressed with TNS - especially 1st half.

They played football the way we used to under Johnston, McIntyre and Fowler.

They pinged it about 1st time and almost always found their own man.

Contrast that to us who looked laboured and always needing an extra touch - with the exception of McFadden who needs/takes 2 or 3 extra - and are obviously instructed to play it long.

Great tactic with Dobbie up front on his own !

When will we actually go out, take the game by the scruff of the neck and look to win it from the off - Montrose next week I hope !

Naysmith needs to get Lyle and Dobbie up front from the off instead of always waiting until the latter stages of games.

Lyle always has an impact but I thought Stirling made a real difference when he came on too - much livelier and forward thinking than Murray.   Time he got a run of games.

After a shaky start, the defence coped well.  

Not always Brownlies biggest fan but I thought he did really well today - MOM for me.

9 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Very impressed with TNS - especially 1st half.

They played football the way we used to under Johnston, McIntyre and Fowler.

They pinged it about 1st time and almost always found their own man.

Contrast that to us who looked laboured and always needing an extra touch - with the exception of McFadden who needs/takes 2 or 3 extra - and are obviously instructed to play it long.

Great tactic with Dobbie up front on his own !

When will we actually go out, take the game by the scruff of the neck and look to win it from the off - Montrose next week I hope !

Naysmith needs to get Lyle and Dobbie up front from the off instead of always waiting until the latter stages of games.

Lyle always has an impact but I thought Stirling made a real difference when he came on too - much livelier and forward thinking than Murray.   Time he got a run of games.

After a shaky start, the defence coped well.  

Not always Brownlies biggest fan but I thought he did really well today - MOM for me.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Naysmith started 442 with dykes and Dobbs upfront, but it was evident that we were getting the run around and could have been 1 or 2 down until he changed formation to counteract a very good attacking midfield side, by putting dykes back to wide left and dropping Faddy into middle of park what a difference to the game that change made steadied the team and made Queens the better side on the pitch, unfortunately we just didn't take our chances. Actually think we missed Rankin in the middle today, hopefully him and Kerr will be back next sat.

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Naysmith started 442 with dykes and Dobbs upfront, but it was evident that we were getting the run around and could have been 1 or 2 down until he changed formation to counteract a very good attacking midfield side, by putting dykes back to wide left and dropping Faddy into middle of park what a difference to the game that change made steadied the team and made Queens the better side on the pitch, unfortunately we just didn't take our chances. Actually think we missed Rankin in the middle today, hopefully him and Kerr will be back next sat.

Yep I thought Naysmith`s tactical changes were very effective today. We grew into the game and really should have won. Can`t legislate for your better players failing with guilt edged chances and penalties.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm hoping they feel bad about the misses too.

Only worry is that Dobbie confidence must be very low after that poor showing and that very poor pen .What was he doing for the pen no excuse not getting a pen on target at least make the keeper save it 

6 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Only worry is that Dobbie confidence must be very low after that poor showing and that very poor pen .What was he doing for the pen no excuse not getting a pen on target at least make the keeper save it 

He was aiming send the keeper the wrong way and did so but scuffed it wide. As you say a poor pen after a largely poor display.  Still love the guy though.