The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

With Kerr not even making it onto the bench tonight for Scotland under 21's hopefully he will get the go ahead to play on Sunday. Is this an option?

The under 21s have a game on Tuesday all depends if Kerr will be needed for that.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

With Kerr not even making it onto the bench tonight for Scotland under 21's hopefully he will get the go ahead to play on Sunday. Is this an option?

No.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are these 21s games competitive or are they friendlies?

Qualifiers for the Euro u21s.

Thinking about Scotland game on Thursday night and all the players who got a chance. Dobbie never got a chance even when he was doing the bizz down in England. How close was he to a squad and would he have made the squad mid week with his form from 7-8 years ago. Ironic it was maybe his team mate McFadden who kept him out

Thinking about Scotland game on Thursday night and all the players who got a chance. Dobbie never got a chance even when he was doing the bizz down in England. How close was he to a squad and would he have made the squad mid week with his form from 7-8 years ago. Ironic it was maybe his team mate McFadden who kept him out

Pretty sure it was Levein in charge when Dobbie had a strong chance of being called up. Levein did get directly asked about why Dobbie was not considered and he said it was because he was not the right type of player/his position didn't fit for Scotland.

Dobbie was considered by a succession of managers to not quite be up to Premiership standard in England, I'm guessing because he was seen as lacking the necessary athleticism.

As we know, playing in the Championship in England is certainly no bar to playing for Scotland, but the trouble was that for a long time now, and certainly under Levein, Scotland played as a side designed to hang in and maybe hopefully nick something.  This meant that in terms of strikers, when we actually played any, they'd be alone and had to be able to run all day and hold the ball up.  Creating chances was never really the idea.  Thus Dobbie never came close.

It's a pity.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dobbie was considered by a succession of managers to not quite be up to Premiership standard in England, I'm guessing because he was seen as lacking the necessary athleticism.

As we know, playing in the Championship in England is certainly no bar to playing for Scotland, but the trouble was that for a long time now, and certainly under Levein, Scotland played as a side designed to hang in and maybe hopefully nick something.  This meant that in terms of strikers, when we actually played any, they'd be alone and had to be able to run all day and hold the ball up.  Creating chances was never really the idea.  Thus Dobbie never came close.

It's a pity.

Whilst thats all accurate, I am sure he was on the cusp of selection at one point undee Levein for that triangular tournament against Republic of Ireland and Wales and Levein said the reason he wasnt in the squad was he was in the Championship playoffs and he didnt include anyone who was in those as the fixtures clashed. 

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst thats all accurate, I am sure he was on the cusp of selection at one point undee Levein for that triangular tournament against Republic of Ireland and Wales and Levein said the reason he wasnt in the squad was he was in the Championship playoffs and he didnt include anyone who was in those as the fixtures clashed. 

Ah, I hadn't realised he'd been knocking at the door at that point.  It's a shame he missed out.

God knows what Levein would have done with him, mind.

Pretty sure it was Levein in charge when Dobbie had a strong chance of being called up. Levein did get directly asked about why Dobbie was not considered and he said it was because he was not the right type of player/his position didn't fit for Scotland.

Where would you fit him in a 5-5 formation ?

Dobbie didn’t play for Scotland for the same reasons Stewart Kean played ahead of him in the biggest games in our history. He’s not a big target man or a headless chicken.

You ended that differently to how I expected. I fully anticipated the reason to be 'because the man in charge was completely clueless'.

That’s implied is it not?

This isn’t the thread for it, but it’s depressing that although Levein is a distant memory now, we’re still making the same mistakes. Griffiths in a record breaking season was “too wee”, and even on Thursday’s utterly pointless kickabout Jason Cummings, the only striker in the squad, managed a grand total of 3 minutes.

It’s increasingly harder and harder to give a shit about Scotland due to the years and years of mismanagement and utter disdain for the fans.

Following Queens is an absolute joy in comparison.

That’s implied is it not?

This isn’t the thread for it, but it’s depressing that although Levein is a distant memory now, we’re still making the same mistakes. Griffiths in a record breaking season was “too wee”, and even on Thursday’s utterly pointless kickabout Jason Cummings, the only striker in the squad, managed a grand total of 3 minutes.

It’s increasingly harder and harder to give a shit about Scotland due to the years and years of mismanagement and utter disdain for the fans.

Following Queens is an absolute joy in comparison.

I'm not big on written subtly, go for the bulldozer approach from now on B)

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You ended that differently to how I expected. I fully anticipated the reason to be 'because the man in charge was completely clueless'.

How was it we ended up playing in Europe anyway  - ah yes , we reached the Scottish Cup Final !

Gordon Chisholm - along with everyone else involved in that glorious period - absolute legends.

Must have been a decent Manager too.

You lot really should be over it by now.

How was it we ended up playing in Europe anyway  - ah yes , we reached the Scottish Cup Final !
Gordon Chisholm - along with everyone else involved in that glorious period - absolute legends.
Must have been a decent Manager too.
You lot really should be over it by now.

I wouldn't even have Chisholm as our best manager of the last decade. The cup run was something that will never be repeated but considering the squad we had it wasn't an unbelievable achievement. By that I mean none of the games we won could be classed as upsets before the semi-final. And as you know, anything can happen in those sorts of games and there has been bigger upsets than the one we dished out that day.

I assume you've forgotten this great manager's 12 game winless streak?