The Queen of the South thread

18 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

As a general point, the majority of fans  don't realise the good work that some managers do off the pitch, things like building the club infrastructure, youth development, training improvements, training ground improvments, player nutrition, sports science, community stuff etc. etc. 

Yeah this. Gus didn't have the time or opportunity to get into community stuff or sports science and nutrition but he did do a lot behind the scenes in the infrastructure and training improvements and also reorganised much of the youth setup. I still think he deserves a bit of the credit for taking the car crash club he inherited from Brannigan who couldn't manage a paper bag and handing over a much better one to Johnston to reap the benefits. Unfortunately too many things didn't work for him at first team level and he got us relegated and paid the inevitably consequences himself but he wasn't an awful manager. He may have finished 6 places lower than Brannigan did but he was a much, much better manager for the club. In fairness, much as I like him personally, Iain Scott was another out of his depth as a manager. A very good coach but not a club manager.

Allan Johnston was the first to bring in a sports scientist (Andrew Leishman who now works with Hearts) but Jim McIntyre moved things forward a lot further off the pitch with sports science and modern scouting and performance analysis.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this. Gus didn't have the time or opportunity to get into community stuff or sports science and nutrition but he did do a lot behind the scenes in the infrastructure and training improvements and also reorganised much of the youth setup. I still think he deserves a bit of the credit for taking the car crash club he inherited from Brannigan who couldn't manage a paper bag and handing over a much better one to Johnston to reap the benefits. Unfortunately too many things didn't work for him at first team level and he got us relegated and paid the inevitably consequences himself but he wasn't an awful manager. He may have finished 6 places lower than Brannigan did but he was a much, much better manager for the club. In fairness, much as I like him personally, Iain Scott was another out of his depth as a manager. A very good coach but not a club manager.

Allan Johnston was the first to bring in a sports scientist (Andrew Leishman who now works with Hearts) but Jim McIntyre moved things forward a lot further off the pitch with sports science and modern scouting and performance analysis.

On the pitch Brannigan had us competitive for most games and I never viewed his spell at the club as being particularly bad. I guess it was the stuff outwith the 1st teams performances on the pitch that give you the opinion he "couldn't manage a paper bag"

Just watching the highlights of the Falkirk game on YouTube (we'll done to whoever is responsible for this). Dobbie's foot work for the 4th goal [emoji7]

I must admit that "off the top of my head" I counted about 8/10 passages of play on Sat where Dobbie displayed skill and ability the like of which is very very rarely on display at this level .......AND YET- there were a number of supporters in my vicinity who were repeatedly chastising him when he lost the ball when trying to create something out of nothing.To cap it all when leaving the ground one supporter was heard to say - " first thing I would do if I was GN is kick Dobbie's arse - missing easy chances and trying to do far too much on his own"

Honestly you couldn't make it up. Yes he sometimes overdoes the individuality but there is no point in him laying simple square balls off when he has this electric ability to go past people and create great chances out of nothing.

Hopefully the longer highlights package will show a lot more of his brilliance.

On 01/11/2017 at 06:51, Hawk said:

Fordyce in the team of the week, well done Callum.

Another great win Fordyce has been a great signing .

Into next week in the Cup do Queens get money to help with the travel costs.Take it Queens are going down on the Saturday.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's now 13 goals scored from 19 games by our defenders. I can't ever recall a backline of ours being so dangerous at the other end of the park.

Yes it`s great to see. Scarcely a  goal in our midfield but loads from the back 4.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's now 13 goals scored from 19 games by our defenders. I can't ever recall a backline of ours being so dangerous at the other end of the park.

Jason Kerr was our top goalscorer last season.:lol:

How's he been getting on?

Edited by Gordon EF

Jason Kerr was our top goalscorer last season.[emoji38]
How's he been getting on?

He appears to be highly rated right now. I've not made it to a fair few games recently so am not best placed to judge but in the games I've seen him he's looked solid enough. He has chipped in with 2 or 3 goals so far as well. I think his loan expires in January and I'm sure everyone will be hoping Saints allow the extension.

Agree re Kerr. It’s odd saying this, but apart from giving away a penalty he never put a foot wrong! In the second half when the Queens back 4 were performing right in front of us, I really appreciated how good Kerr is. Please can we keep him?!!

11 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Shame Kerr is going to miss out next Sunday, due to under 21 call up, unless he gets permission to play.

If he had to miss any games for Queens for the chance to play for Scotland it would probably best to be this Sunday's as,  from our point of view,  it is the least important of the competitions we are still involved in.  Having said that his presence against TNS would be a boost to our chances of progressing further in the competition. 

If he had to miss any games for Queens for the chance to play for Scotland it would probably best to be this Sunday's as,  from our point of view,  it is the least important of the competitions we are still involved in.  Having said that his presence against TNS would be a boost to our chances of progressing further in the competition. 

Agree, in grand scheme of things Montrose and the upcoming league games are more important