The Queen of the South thread

End of first quarter and the highest ranked team we’ve beaten so far is 7th. 3 wins and a draw against the bottom 4.  We’ve taken 2 points from the games against the top 5.

I'm not sure it's worth reading into it in this much detail after the first quarter.
Generally you'll find up to the 20-30 game mark the teams below you you've beat and the teams above you haven't.

Looking back Morton at home is the only game I'm really disappointed with. Disappointed with yesterdays result but i was expecting a lot more from the pars so i'd have probably took a draw before the game.

Ignoring performances, losing away to St Mirren, Dundee Utd and drawing away at Livi don't have me banging my head against the wall.

That said I didn't and still don't expect us to finish 4th or above this season so maybe i've lower expectations.

10 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Jeezo Flash. You are relentlessly pessimistic.  I remember in 2002 after winning the league so many guys came up to me and said what's  point you will be instantly relegated.  Well ten years later (part time for five of these years)  we were still there. One season downstairs, won in the league by 25 points in some style. I'm old enough to remember when we were at the same level as teams like Montrose, Albion Rovers, Stennies and Berwick et all.  

Trust me we have moved on. 

I understood Dobbie said his main aim on returning was to try to get us into the Premiership. I think I have also read the directors saying that the aim is to at least finish in the top 4 and, hopefully, win promotion via the play-offs. The summary of the first quarter was intended to be a starting point in considering whether or not we are on target.

However, if you are saying that the main aim for the season is to avoid relegation then the position does, indeed, become one of optimism. Continuing to beat the teams below us and maintain an average of 12 points per quarter will be more than sufficient to keep us up.

I’m not all that sure why a comparison with our teams from 20 odd years ago is relevant, though. Seems to be trotted out on occasion to make however badly we are doing in this league seem like an over-achievement.  Using possibly one of the worst periods in the club’s history as the standard by which all subsequent teams are measured can be seen as a convenient device to let everybody involved now off the hook.

3 minutes ago, Senior_Coconut said:

I'm not sure it's worth reading into it in this much detail after the first quarter.
Generally you'll find up to the 20-30 game mark the teams below you you've beat and the teams above you haven't.

Looking back Morton at home is the only game I'm really disappointed with. Disappointed with yesterdays result but i was expecting a lot more from the pars so i'd have probably took a draw before the game.

Ignoring performances, losing away to St Mirren, Dundee Utd and drawing away at Livi don't have me banging my head against the wall.

That said I didn't and still don't expect us to finish 4th or above this season so maybe i've lower expectations.

Yeah, fair enough. I was rather optimistically comparing the results so far with the aim of finishing in the top 4. Was trying to figure out why we have done so badly against the top 5 teams. Of our strikers, I think only Lyle has scored against those teams, with 2 goals

A pattern seems to be developing whereby we “play well” against the better teams, but don’t score. Whereas they generally have no difficulty in scoring against us.

As you say, this is only to be expected of a team which is likely to finish around 6th or 7th. So, only a cause for concern if the realistic aim was to finish higher than that.

I understood Dobbie said his main aim on returning was to try to get us into the Premiership. I think I have also read the directors saying that the aim is to at least finish in the top 4 and, hopefully, win promotion via the playoffs.

People representing the club are in a no win situation if they come out and say "we've got around the 7th highest budget in the league so that's our barometer" the usual suspects would be accusing them of having no ambition.

We had the 9th highest average attendace in the league last year so i can't complain with having the 7th higgest budget this season.

b94da1f7caaa7c1273559196dbd80da7.jpg

13 minutes ago, Senior_Coconut said:

People representing the club are in a no win situation if they come out and say "we've got around the 7th highest budget in the league so that's our barometer" the usual suspects would be accusing them of having no ambition.

We had the 9th highest average attendace in the league last year so i can't complain with having the 7th higgest budget this season.

True. But the budget may have been significantly higher had we beaten Albion Rovers in the cup and not had the failed concert. It is possible that appointing a manager before the Albion Rovers game may have given us a better chance of progressing. However, saying that, 90 minute results against Albion Rovers (again), Montrose and East Kilbride may suggest otherwise. And, of course, we only needed a new manager because the one appointed  a few months earlier left for undisclosed personal reasons.

I understood Dobbie said his main aim on returning was to try to get us into the Premiership. I think I have also read the directors saying that the aim is to at least finish in the top 4 and, hopefully, win promotion via the play-offs. The summary of the first quarter was intended to be a starting point in considering whether or not we are on target.
However, if you are saying that the main aim for the season is to avoid relegation then the position does, indeed, become one of optimism. Continuing to beat the teams below us and maintain an average of 12 points per quarter will be more than sufficient to keep us up.
I’m not all that sure why a comparison with our teams from 20 odd years ago is relevant, though. Seems to be trotted out on occasion to make however badly we are doing in this league seem like an over-achievement.  Using possibly one of the worst periods in the club’s history as the standard by which all subsequent teams are measured can be seen as a convenient device to let everybody involved now off the hook.

While our midfield is very one dimensional overall I think we have a decent squad. Looking at the competition I consider anything less than 4th to be a poor effort.

If you look at our Q1 performance and assess it based on "good chances created" in each match we are miles behind where we should be:-

Brechin home - a comprehensive win

DUFC away - totally dominated ( albeit v 10 men) and had several great chances. Should have had all 3 points and even a draw would have been a poor result. United rarely out there of their own half

Dumbarton home - thoroughly deserved win

Falkirk away - as above

Livvy away - worst league performance but even in that game Livvy only marginally better

Morton home - created far better chances than Morton - were well worth a draw

St Mirren - poor set up in this one but again created far more than Saints but missed countless chances and everything they hit went in

Inverness - were much the better side - again they created virtually nothing

Dunfermline - better side again and draw a poor return for our efforts

I think that there is little doubt that we should have at least 5 points more at this stage. We haven't really stolen a point in any game and have repeatedly contrived to squander chance after chance.

I think our back 4 has been excellent and have limited opposition to very few chances. They have been badly let down between the sticks. Midfield is workmanlike and one creative figure in there would make a huge difference.

Up front I think our forwards have been wasteful in several games compared to our opponents who seem to score goals on much more meagre rations than we have been getting.

This league was winnable for us but we have wasted a good start by sloppy results and an inability to get the job done when in the ascendancy. For us to be 9 behind St Mirren and 6 behind Livvy at this early stage is criminal.

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

While our midfield is very one dimensional overall I think we have a decent squad. Looking at the competition I consider anything less than 4th to be a poor effort.

If you look at our Q1 performance and assess it based on "good chances created" in each match we are miles behind where we should be:-

Brechin home - a comprehensive win

DUFC away - totally dominated ( albeit v 10 men) and had several great chances. Should have had all 3 points and even a draw would have been a poor result. United rarely out there of their own half

Dumbarton home - thoroughly deserved win

Falkirk away - as above

Livvy away - worst league performance but even in that game Livvy only marginally better

Morton home - created far better chances than Morton - were well worth a draw

St Mirren - poor set up in this one but again created far more than Saints but missed countless chances and everything they hit went in

Inverness - were much the better side - again they created virtually nothing

Dunfermline - better side again and draw a poor return for our efforts

I think that there is little doubt that we should have at least 5 points more at this stage. We haven't really stolen a point in any game and have repeatedly contrived to squander chance after chance.

I think our back 4 has been excellent and have limited opposition to very few chances. They have been badly let down between the sticks. Midfield is workmanlike and one creative figure in there would make a huge difference.

Up front I think our forwards have been wasteful in several games compared to our opponents who seem to score goals on much more meagre rations than we have been getting.

This league was winnable for us but we have wasted a good start by sloppy results and an inability to get the job done when in the ascendancy. For us to be 9 behind St Mirren and 6 behind Livvy at this early stage is criminal.

Unfortunately the introduction of pellets is very reminiscent of what Alloa did in respect of their pitch when it was widely criticised as the worst of its kind in Scotland. Sadly I think we are strong contenders for that unwanted title. I have no doubt that our extremely poor home form over past two seasons is not helped by a pitch that is a huge leveller.

14 hours ago, palmyblue22 said:

Does anyone think the pitch is poor this year with all the pellets put on it?

It is the 1st time I have noticed the black patches on it .

This happened before with the 1st 3 G pitch we had .The pitch at Falkirk always looks better than ours never any black patches on it .

Always thought it was a wrong move to a 3 G pitch football should be played on a good grass pitch which we had .

I understand we can hire the pitch out but will we make  a lot of money doing that 

I think the misconception about the pitch is that you can lay it and just leave it. Seems it’s touted as all weather and low maintenance although frost and snow can damage it and it’s supposed to be brushed with special equipment. Clearing snow off it with metal shovels on buggys for a cup game must have done some damage.