The Queen of the South thread

52 minutes ago, doonhamer64 said:

The New Saints usually have their games covered live by S4C  so be prepared for a 5.30pm kick off on either the Saturday or Sunday of that weekend!

Probably will be switched for tv.

Their game with Livi was played at 2.45 on the Sunday and their game with Elgin was 4.30 on the Saturday. However, they were international weekends, so it will probably be different on a normal league weekend and that would possibly rule out any tv coverage between 2.45 and 5.15 on the Saturday, I think.

Eta notice that it isn’t a normal league weekend in the top divisions (international play-offs and friendlies) so the normal 2.45 - 5.15 blackout on a Saturday might not apply.

Edited by Flash

Interesting piece. It's certainly not a bad place in general but it seems every week there is an incident of vandalism or assault being reported. I was interviewed a few weeks back (I wonder if it was for that as it was about Crime etc.) and one of the questions was "Do you feel safe walking around your area at night?" I answered yes and that the only area of the town I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around myself at night would be the town centre itself. The fact every second shop seems to be empty is cleverly omitted as well. Apart from that though.

20 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

Had a look on freeview for S4C could not find it.

It's certainly not on my digital tv that isn't attached to Sky. It's available through Sky though on the main telly. I watched the Livi game two rounds ago on it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

26 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

Had a look on freeview for S4C could not find it.

It is only on Freesat, not Freeview. But it is also available on the BBC iplayer.

Also, on S4C, you can turn the gibberish into a semi-understandable commentary on a press of the red button.  Alba take note....

The rolling live score updates on S4C are also a good idea - never understood why more TV broadcasters don't do that.

Also, on S4C, you can turn the gibberish into a semi-understandable commentary on a press of the red button.  Alba take note....
The rolling live score updates on S4C are also a good idea - never understood why more TV broadcasters don't do that.

I went on the channel on I player, watched news in Welsh, I pressed the red button but nothing happened, the only thing I could do was turn on subtitles not good with trying to watch a football game

1 hour ago, The Caul Back said:

I went on the channel on I player, watched news in Welsh, I pressed the red button but nothing happened, the only thing I could do was turn on subtitles not good with trying to watch a football game

No idea about iPlayer but I watched their game v Livi on Sky and listened to the red button commentary in English.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Steven Rigg has rejoined Carlisle United on an initial contract until January as he completes his rehab from last season's cruciate ligament injury.

Strange one, wasn't good enough for us.

16 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Strange one, wasn't good enough for us.

Maybe not, I don't think we ever really got the opportunity to properly find out. Gavin Skelton was keen on him and targeted him as soon as he got the manager's job but obviously at that stage nobody foresaw the opportunity to re-sign Dobs was going to present itself. Rigg suffered more out of that than anyone and the surprise emergence of Lyndon Dykes straight to first team level further limited his chances too. And then his season was ended by doing his cruciate in training the day before the Albion Rovers debacle. That effectively ended his career with us as Gary Naysmith had never seen him play and couldn't possibly offer a contract to a player he'd never seen.  Rigg got no luck in his time with us. He started only 5 games, three in the League and one each in the League Cup (at Queens Park) and Irn Bru Cup (v Linfield).

That said, in his limited opportunities at first team level he didn't really look like he would quite make it. His only goals came in the Irn Bru Cup rout of Stenhousemuir.  He missed a very good chance in the 0-0 draw at Dumbarton in his first League start that might have settled him down if he'd scored. He didn't and the rest is history though.