The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

but you have to agree it's a better option than having players hanging about that he doesn't rate, but has to keep because some dafty on a forum thinks they are "legends".

Please read my comments carefully before sounding off.

I refer you to 6Oct at 10.17 ;

" As is his right, the Manager decided he did not want to keep him nor select him under any circumstance. "

If the Manager wants to move players on that's up to him but we may not always agree with his decisions.

There are two issues here.

My main one is some people making wild allegations that Robinson was  somehow a "disruptive influence" with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

It seems that due to his performances last season and us having to pay him off - quite rightly - Robinson has become some sort of hate figure for a section of our support.

I really don't think that someone who has contributed so much to our recent successes should be treated in such a manner.

The other issue is , the Manager obviously does not rate Leighfield to cover for Martin.  

When this first occurred, to have a fit Robinson available and not play him then, in my book,  that is poor Management and not putting the best available team on the park.

If you think this is getting tiresome, I absolutely agree.

I don't particularly want to have to spend the time repeating myself but you left me no choice as you did not grasp correctly the points I was making.

Please read my comments carefully before sounding off.
I refer you to 6Oct at 10.17 ;
" As is his right, the Manager decided he did not want to keep him nor select him under any circumstance. "
If the Manager wants to move players on that's up to him but we may not always agree with his decisions.
There are two issues here.
My main one is some people making wild allegations that Robinson was  somehow a "disruptive influence" with absolutely no evidence to back it up.
It seems that due to his performances last season and us having to pay him off - quite rightly - Robinson has become some sort of hate figure for a section of our support.
I really don't think that someone who has contributed so much to our recent successes should be treated in such a manner.
The other issue is , the Manager obviously does not rate Leighfield to cover for Martin.  
When this first occurred, to have a fit Robinson available and not play him then, in my book,  that is poor Management and not putting the best available team on the park.
If you think this is getting tiresome, I absolutely agree.
I don't particularly want to have to spend the time repeating myself but you left me no choice as you did not grasp correctly the points I was making.

I can't believe the negativity surrounding Lee Robinson either. He did get stupidly involved in mindless barging with opposition strikers from time to time and he failed to set up a couple of defensive walls properly.He also conceded a crazy goal in last match. Take those negatives out and he very seldom let us down and on numerous occasions saved us from defeat. He is also a frustrated outfield player which made him brilliant with ball at his fee

A good strong Manager would have given him a bollocking for his wind up antics and killed the issue stone dead.

Alan Martin was heralded in some quarters as the League's best keeper last season - not quite sure how that conclusion was reached but if we are being consistent and fair in our comparative assessment of the two keepers there is no way that Lee Robinson is inferior in any way to AM. Whatever faults Lee had he was extremely fit agile and fast off his line. He wasn't great at crosses. Compare those attributes with AM.

It all depends how long we give AM the benefit of the doubt for his injury but I can only judge him on what I have seen so far. Hopefully, he will shake the injury off and improve dramatically but unless supporters with the inside dressing room knowledge know something I don't about LR then I don't get the bad feeling towards him.It wasn't his fault that club gave him a two year deal and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if he had played in all league games this season we would have conceded a lot less goals than we have done.

9 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I take it Lyle is out with a injury ?..

Kane has been poor I really thought he would have been a good signing got us a few goals but has done nothing for us so far. Works hard but that is it ..

How long are we going to keep playing McFadden in the hope that his quality from years ago somehow cones back.

Thought Faddy had some lovely touches yesterday.  The ball in for Dobbie to volley and one other hit with the outside of his foot spring to mind. 

Edited by louisxiv

5 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Alan Martin was heralded in some quarters as the League's best keeper last season - not quite sure how that conclusion was reached but if we are being consistent and fair in our comparative assessment of the two keepers there is no way that Lee Robinson is inferior in any way to AM. Whatever faults Lee had he was extremely fit agile and fast off his line. He wasn't great at crosses. Compare those attributes with AM.

Alan Martin was selected in a P & B poll  by many fans of  all the Championship clubs for last season's Championship Team of the Season.  Without actually checking back he may have been the leading contender in the official SPFL Championship Team of the Season, that is obviously how that conclusion was reached. Lee Robinson failed to get a single vote in the fans' poll IIRC. I think that more than clears up the perceived difference in their ability.  Unfortunately the injury that Martin picked up in the Brechin game has  seriously affected his ability to show the same form he achieved last season.  At the time of his signing he was without doubt a vast upgrade over what we had to suffer last season.

Folk are being ott about how bad Robinson was last season. To be honest he wasn't that bad at all but would describe him as distinctly average. This, however is a huge contrast to his previous spells where he was eye catchingly excellent with his swift and accurate distribution and excellent shot stopping . Last seasons Robinson didn't seem to have those same qualities which is strange given he is still young but I feel fans are probably comparing him to his previous spell rather than objectively as a new signing in which case the verdict would have been somewhat different. 

Folk are being ott about how bad Robinson was last season. To be honest he wasn't that bad at all but would describe him as distinctly average. This, however is a huge contrast to his previous spells where he was eye catchingly excellent with his swift and accurate distribution and excellent shot stopping . Last seasons Robinson didn't seem to have those same qualities which is strange given he is still young but I feel fans are probably comparing him to his previous spell rather than objectively as a new signing in which case the verdict would have been somewhat different. 

He was no better than average last year and some of his antics were annoying in the extreme. As I said earlier a good strong Manager would have sorted the stupidity out or dropped Robinson in favour of Atkinson. The fact is he did neither of these actions which tended to indicate that he was either happy enough with Robinson or he thought Atkinson was an incapable deputy. Take your pick.

He remains in my view at least a decent keeper at this level and the criticism of him is way OTT as you say. He is a talented guy who probably doesn't "fill the goals" particularly well - not a problem that his replacement has I hasten to add.

How much money do we get to help with travel costs in the Irn Bru Cup.

It cost Falkirk £5000 more in travel money so whatever you get is not enough .

Looks like we will make very little  money out of the game  but  I suppose it is something different 

Looks like we will make very little  money out of the game  but  I suppose it is something different 

I can't imagine it will cost anymore than a trip to Inverness would.

19 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

£5,000 to help with travel costs. It says “overseas” but I assume that means cross border.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-reveal-updated-irn-bru-cup-format/

As die hard doonhamer says, a trip to play ICT would have cost as much and the club would have received nothing.

24 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Don't think it'll cost the club that much, just the cost of a bus. The bod will probably look to travel and play all in one day!

Would think overnight stay before game same as the squad did before the Inverness Match.

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Don't think it'll cost the club that much, just the cost of a bus. The bod will probably look to travel and play all in one day!

I'm pretty sure the BoD  will consult with the Manager as to the best preparation for the game.