The Queen of the South thread

Finally a bit of clarity on the situation as Alan Martin confirms last week was his first week training since the Brechin game two months ago!

It's not a situation we've handled well in the slightest and I feel sorry both goalkeepers on our books.  After the Lee Robinson debacle, and the mismanagement  of Jim Atkinson over a number of seasons I really didn't think it would be possible for us to balls up the goalkeeping situation this season, but there we are.  With a full weeks training and a clean sheet under his belt hopefully Martin can now kick on and we will see the player we were promised by the Sons.  Leighfield is the real loser in this situation as I'd imagine Martin will play next week in the Challenge Cup to get his sharpness up.

Unbelievable. What is the idea behind playing somebody who hasn’t trained? Is it supposed to be ok because he is only a goalkeeper and they don’t need to be fit? Or were we supposed to get through all the games without the opposition having a shot on target?  We all suspected he was carrying an injury, but to hear that he hasn’t been training at all for weeks is just incredible. 

Amazing that Martin was playing when nowhere near fit.

He should not have played until yesterday after he had a weeks training

Why was Robinson not playing untill Martin was fit.

Leighfield has not got the experience yet to be our 1st choice keeper  but we had a experienced keeper in Robinson  fit and ready to play so why did we not play him .

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Leighfield has not got the experience yet to be our 1st choice keeper  but we had a experienced keeper in Robinson  fit and ready to play so why did we not play him .

Apparently Nayidea and Robinson had a big ding dong. Consequently Robinson treat like a piece of poo by gaffer and club

Robinson wasn't playing cause naysmith thought that he was shit and an arsehole, who was a disruptive figure in the dressing room. It happens all the time, players not training whilst playing in games. The term not training is usually wide of the mark. They still train as in gym work, bike work or in the swimming pool. It's not as if they sit at home with their finger up their arse. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Goram used to do it at Rangers for years, although I'm not saying Martin is at the same level as him. As for Leighfield he's went from being in the under 20's to reserve goalkeeper in a short period of time. So I hardly think he'll be too disappointed with not been playing. In fact I would think he will be delighted with his start to the season in playing a few games. 

2 minutes ago, Come on queens said:

Robinson wasn't playing cause naysmith thought that he was shit and an arsehole, who was a disruptive figure in the dressing room. It happens all the time, players not training whilst playing in games. The term not training is usually wide of the mark. They still train as in gym work, bike work or in the swimming pool. It's not as if they sit at home with their finger up their arse. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Goram used to do it at Rangers for years, although I'm not saying Martin is at the same level as him. As for Leighfield he's went from being in the under 20's to reserve goalkeeper in a short period of time. So I hardly think he'll be too disappointed with not been playing. In fact I would think he will be delighted with his start to the season in playing a few games. 

Ha, actually you couldn't meet a nicer person .the only bumhole is Nayidea , gone by the time Santa's been .

Atkinson given the bullet by association.

1 minute ago, Besty said:

Ha, actually you couldn't meet a nicer person .the only bumhole is Nayidea , gone by the time Santa's been .

Atkinson given the bullet by association.

Everyone is entitled to make their own opinion of people. I heard a few people, not just at queens describe Robinson as a strange character. 

As for Atkinson, he had been there for years and made no mark on the team. It was a no brainer to release him as he would of hindered Leighfield's progress, whilst saving the club money. 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Unbelievable. What is the idea behind playing somebody who hasn’t trained? Is it supposed to be ok because he is only a goalkeeper and they don’t need to be fit? Or were we supposed to get through all the games without the opposition having a shot on target?  We all suspected he was carrying an injury, but to hear that he hasn’t been training at all for weeks is just incredible. 

Just watched the Alan Martin interview and, quite frankly, it beggars belief that we keep playing someone who, until this week, has not trained with the rest of the team for weeks. Clearly his statement about watching his team mates on the training field through the gym window partially explains that howler of a first goal that St Mirren scored last week! We know from previous seasons at Dumbarton that he's a decent keeper but playing him when not fully fit, and when we have a good young back up, is irresponsible. This decision by the manager has cost us points  (six!) as I am sure we could have got a result against Morton and against St Mirren last week...even a couple of points from these two games would have kept us in contention for the play offs.

Would a 2 month loan have been allowed? Surely if Leighfield isn't seen as being ready for the step up then getting another 'keeper in until Martin was fit would have made sense. Playing an injured 'keeper is an utter disaster on so many levels: It potentially dents our No. 2's confidence as he sees an injured player is a better option to him, it potentially dents Martin's confidence conceding howlers, it puts the defence on edge knowing any wee mistake from them is more likely to result in a goal with a crocked player behind them, the fans get on Martin's back (maybe not as much now knowing the situation) but most importantly/worryingly by playing he could potentially make the injury worse.

Just a horrible situation really and I feel quite sorry for both our goalkeepers.

Full story was in the D&G Standard on Friday

You only get experience by playing not sitting on the bench

Have to say having watched the video I’m still not convinced we’ve got the full story re Martins “injury”. There’s been nothing specific and if I had to guess I’d say he wasn’t fit before we signed him and someone somewhere doesn’t want to admit it. I’m also in the camp that doesn’t understand why we couldn’t have played Robinson but clearly that ship had sailed by then. I agree it looks like a shambles from the outside.

Maybe maybe an injured Alan Martin was the best option we had?

Robinson came across as a bumbling    Geordie simpleton yesterday on Soccer AM like his big pal [mention=44015]Besty[/mention]

I don’t believe he was a better option than a fit Robinson, but it seems Robinson wasn’t an option at all. I guess it’s whether you agree with the manager or not on that one. I’m undecided.