The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It could also be that the two things are totally unrelated

You mean the two things I mentioned being Thomson, or another player or a player who wouldn't have been happy sitting on the bench?

McFadden is clearly taking up some of the player budget. Naysmith said he wanted 2 or 3 players before signing Kane, Kerr and McFadden. The only way McFadden's signing could be unrelated to the possibility of signing anybody else would be if he is an "extra" player. And I thought I had kind of covered that by saying nobody else would have been prepared to sign and get as little game time as McFadden is likely to get (if he is an "extra"). If he isn't that, then he has been signed instead of somebody else (Thomson or another player). So, I don't see how these things are unrelated.

Is McFadden the most capped player ever to play for Queens (assuming he gets on the park at some point)? I may go and research this. 

I was thinking Scottish caps, maybe there are some with lots of eg Welsh/Irish/NZ.

I was thinking 'capped', as opposed to going on and getting caps (e.g. hughie Gallacher), although back in the old days there were fewer internationals played.

Regardless of the ins and outs of the matter Faddy has joined us. I for one wish him all the best in Queens colours.

I certainly hope he brings to us what the likes of Johnson did at the twilight of his career.

Welcome to Queens, Faddy!

edited to add.

Hopefully his experience as a player and a coach will beneift our youth teams as well. 

Edited by qos_75

22 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Is McFadden the most capped player ever to play for Queens (assuming he gets on the park at some point)? I may go and research this. 

I was thinking Scottish caps, maybe there are some with lots of eg Welsh/Irish/NZ.

I was thinking 'capped', as opposed to going on and getting caps (e.g. hughie Gallacher), although back in the old days there were fewer internationals played.

I'd imagine that Hughie Gallagher has far fewer anyway - Billy Houliston certainly does.

It wouldn't surprise me if McFadden was the most capped player we've had, regardless of whether the caps arrived before, during or after playing for us.

29 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Presumably. He has 48 caps which is 5 more than Goram and a lot more than Johnston. He also has two more than his new manager. Naysmith never played for us though unless we count Derek Lyle's Testimonial. There are only 31 Scots with more caps than McFadden and none of them ever played for us (other than Danny McGrain guest appearance in one of Allan Ball's testimonials).

I doubt any non Scot is too close. Ivor Broadis got 14 for England I think and George O'Boyle something similar for Northern Ireland.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

With cup runs and a long slog of a season, I think Faddy could prove to be a decent signing coming off the bench and maybe even starting the odd game.

For a decent promotion push you need a deep squad, even though he is 34, if the hunger is there then he'll add something to the season.

Obviously as others have pointed out, Naysmith has seen enough of him to make the call, so you would assume fitness is there.

Genuinely hope Faddy does you a turn. If he's managed to go through pre-season until now without getting broken then that's a good start. I posted on your thread previously but he never seemed certain that taking the assistant manager job at Motherwell last season was the right move for him and so it proved to be the case. The impression he gave was it more something that seemed to be out of obligation and he thought he may as well give a shot while Motherwell clearly wanted to keep him around the club but couldn't really justify having him on the books exclusively as a player.

In that respect his lack of game time is mitigated somewhat by the fact that you generally don't expect your assistant manager to be coming off the bench or starting on a regular basis. Regardless of whether he was fit or not he'd have been unlikely to have been playing given his role.

Even in his first interview having been announced he was talking about still wanting to play. If nothing else it seems last season has confirmed to him that he still feels he's got something to offer on the pitch and while his appearances for us last season were little more than cameos he chipped in with a couple of goals and a few assists. He was by no means our worst player last season.

It all depends on expectations really, he's still got a great delivery and him playing alongside Dobbie could be interesting. If he's able to get regular games under his belt I'd have thought he'd still be able to contribute in the Championship though he's clearly not going to be flying past players as he did in his pomp.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Presumably. He has 48 caps which is 5 more than Goram and a lot more than Johnston. He also has two more than his new manager. Naysmith never played for us though unless we count Derek Lyle's Testimonial. There are only 31 Scots with more caps than McFadden and none of them ever played for us (other than Danny McGrain guest appearance in one of Allan Ball's testimonials).

I doubt any non Scot is too close. Ivor Broadis got 14 for England I think and George O'Boyle something similar for Northern Ireland.

Who was the last player to go on and be capped after leaving Queens? Jamie McAllister? 

Does Neilson count if he was only on loan. 

1 hour ago, A-Mac said:

With cup runs and a long slog of a season, I think Faddy could prove to be a decent signing coming off the bench and maybe even starting the odd game.

For a decent promotion push you need a deep squad, even though he is 34, if the hunger is there then he'll add something to the season.

Obviously as others have pointed out, Naysmith has seen enough of him to make the call, so you would assume fitness is there.

I see him getting games in the challenge cup, favourable Scottish cup ties and maybe Brechin. Otherwise limited roles from the bench. But that's not a bad thing if he given a 25 minute burst to change a game.

The manager has already been talking about how difficult it is accommodating his options up front with all of Del, Dykes, Dobbie and Kane deserving starts and having to unduly disappoint players every week. I am not sure how signing McFadden helps with that?

Still, Naysmith is doing well at the moment so I will reserve judgement. Hope the signing pays off!

24 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

Who was the last player to go on and be capped after leaving Queens? Jamie McAllister? 

Does Neilson count if he was only on loan. 

Grant Hanley unless you only want to count first team players here. In which case Neilson / McAllister I guess as you say. For Scotland anyway. Was Andrews not still playing internationally while with us?

3 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Did Scott Fox ever get capped? I know he made a few squads but can't ever remember him getting a game.

No. Neither did Craig Samson who also made a few squads. But Cammy Bell DID get one Scotland cap so it would be him if counting loans.

Edited to add - I think Jamie MacDonald at his peak was unlucky not to at least make a squad. He is a better keeper than any of the above.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Grant Hanley unless you only want to count first team players here. In which case Neilson / McAllister I guess as you say. For Scotland anyway. Was Andrews not still playing internationally while with us?

He played his last international in September 2009, and joined us that December, so not quite.

27 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He played his last international in September 2009, and joined us that December, so not quite.

Christ, even that's remarkable.

I'd assumed that any international career must have ended ages before he shambled around scarily for us.